Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Someone has to stick up for the poor old BDL factory copy. I currently have two on rifles and have had two others. The Classic is good but the comb nose rises too abruptly. The BDL has a gentler and lower slope at that point, it just fits my hand like it was custom made for me. The Sporter has a weird comb fluting, it just doesn't seem to cradle the shooting hand.

I even went so far as to have McMillan inlet two Remington BDL stocks for my Winchester M70's in .30-06 and .375 H&H. Used to fire that H&H from prone a good bit so I know it handles recoil very well - for my build, my shoulder structure, my neck length, my facial structure, etc. etc. and so forth. The exact same rifle might kick the snot out of someone else.

Stock fit and preference are totally subjective.

Yep, I totally agree with you. Although the BDL gets no love around here it is nearly ergonomic perfection for me.........I also like the Mountain Rifle, and classic, but the BDL is #1 in my book!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll let you know when my KS and MR stocks arrive. I have those two plus an A3, a Sako Classic for a Howa and a Winchester Supergrade on order right now.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]
Compact-L, Mtn-R

MtnHtr

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Compact one on the left being the brown one?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hunter's Edge has a bit more open and longer grip, a bit thicker through the wrist and no cheek piece, thinner forward and without looking again I think a bit shorter forward also.

The Hunter's Edge (don't have to order in Edge) is my favorite pattern to date for anything with a small'ish contour tube.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sako Classic for me. I put one on a 7mm Rem Mag and another on a 700 in .300 WBY.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For the Remington 700 family of actions, my hierarchy would be the Mountain Rifle, the McMillan Hunter, and the Classic a distant 3rd. I prefer to spend my $$ on stocks with raised cheekpieces and tighter radius pistol grips. I really like the way that the Hunter style stock transmits/handles recoil and even though they are a little heavier than the MR, they point well/quickly for me.

For the Winchester/WSSM 70 WSSM action, the only stock that works for me, size wise, is the Compact. I have 2 of them without the "Edge" technology and think that they improved the handling and shootability of the Winchester/USRA 70 WSSMs x10 over the factory injection molded stocks.

For a heavy, large contour, barreled rifle I like the Savage Hunter. If I was going to stock a Remington 700 in 375 H&H it would be a Remington Hunter style.

JEff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Classic and MR depending on chambering and barrel contour

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sako Hunter.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
clasic

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The Classic works well for me!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Really like the Remington Hunter. Really comfortable, but kinda beefy for anything less than a #5 barrel. For that reason, my next will be the McMillan Hunter.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My big game hunting rifles in 300 Win & 300 RUM both wear a McMillan Sporter which is #1 with me followed by Mt. rifle, & BDL. 163bc

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
All I've got is classic,MR,sako classic,& A-5. Like them fine. Have 2 hunters Edge on order due to the praises(& who has done the praising).

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any one ever run the Remington Sporter? I've been kinda thinking about trying one, just for something different.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
How is the comb heigth on the classic?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK
Any one ever run the Remington Sporter? I've been kinda thinking about trying one, just for something different.

My favorite. I have 2 of them on custom built rifles. They fit me just right. Think of it like this, if you cross a mountain rifle with a classic you get a sporter.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
[Linked Image]
Compact-L, Mtn-R

MtnHtr

On the first row of rifles what stock is on the far left one?

Also what is the length of the forearms on the compact and mountain rifle measuring from the center of with rear action screw?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK

Earlier in this thread (and about two years ago) I said that I preferred a compact for a smaller rifle and a classic for a full size sporter. I have since changed my mind. Compact yes, but for the full size I prefer the sporter.

The open, but not too open, grip fits me better than the more abrupt classic. And I prefer the pear shaped sporter to the squarish classic. Off the sandbags it doesn't much matter, but in field stuff the sporter wins for me.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty sure Mtn Hunter will chime in, but I think that is the stock that started the "Coyote Bomber" rage several years ago. I believe it is a McMillan BDL...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 44automag, 18 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.