Hop To
#4912879 02/07/11
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Here is what I did bring home from Sunday's show.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Left one is a WFC 175, right is WFC 150. Both have a bit of wear. I had not seen a 150 with the large disc before (only seen a couple total). Did these sights come in multiple configurations? Anyone have any idea what WFC CO. stand for? Only reference I have is Stroebol's book which only lists them as Savage sights. Screws are not correct, but the closest thing I have found so far. I now have more 340 sights than rifles. A problem I'll certainly solve in the future.
Got to meet and speak at length with Ken Bean. Really personable fellow who freely shared his knowledge with me and others. This guy had an unbelievable number of sights available. His wife quipped with a sigh that there were many many more at there home. She seemed pleased that a guy bought $4700 worth of sights the day before. Mr. Bean was not so happy about the transaction, he "missed them".

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
340s and 219s are the unsung heroes of the Savage rifle line; they made a lot of meat back in the day and made a lot of guys happy. Thanks for the post; these are accessories nobody pays much attention to, so nobody knows much about them. Every little bit of knowledge helps.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The 150 sights are only shown in the one configuration in all the catalogs. That sight is for 22 bolt actions Savage model 3, 4 & 5 and the comparable Stevens versions. The base on the 150 is curved more and if you compare the two you will see that the heigth and length of the arms are different to center and clear on the different diameter receivers. You cannot swap apertures in the 150, it has a small gear on it that fits a rack on the sight for windage adjustment.

I seems the bases can take either arm so you have to watch out for sights that have been assembled from parts - hole spacing is the same but the different curvatures of the bases could cause fit problems if used for the incorrect application and having the wrong arm for the application would cause centering and clearance issues, I saw one go on eBay that had been muled together.

Gene
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Gene, good info! I noticed the differences in the arms but had not noticed the different curves to the bases. I may be confused because I swear I saw a 150 with the small aperture. must have been a parts one as you mentioned. Might have even been the E-Bay one you saw.

Any chance the 150 was offered on a 6A? Hole spacing lines up and the base curve looks right. Back of the sight rides over the knurled knob that holds the hammer/bolt assembly. Sight would have to be removed to disassemble. If it will not work I'll have to find a 3,4,or 5 to put it on.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I do not have a model 6 type rifle that is tapped for this sight - I looked in a 1951 parts catalog (first to have the 150)and it only listed the bolt actions, I just checked a 1948 retail catalog (first to show the 150) and it list it for all 22 rifles except the Stevens model 15, also states that they came drilled and tapped for it.

The 150 rear came in a set with with a 150 hooded front sight. The 150 was also the sight that then came with the special sight set on the 3-S, 4-S, 5-S, 6-S and Stevens 87-S (the model 7 had not been introduced yet).

The pictures show some rifles with the No 19 folding windage rear sight, the one that was used in conjunction with earlier peep sights, but they might be old pictures, I cannot find that sight listed in any liturature from these dates.

Gene

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 variations made between 1948 ( or whenever production started after WWII) till around 1955 (went to the grooved receiver) were D&T'ed for the #150. I don't think any of these post-WWII rifles were D&T'ed for a scope base.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ring3,

If you ever find out what WFC Co. stands for, more then a few people here will stand you to a beer at least. Might be a good question for Ken Bean. He should be at the Allentown show this weekend, I'll try to remember to ask him. He is a great guy to talk to.

I have a 150 on a 6A. It didn't come that way from the factory though.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve99
ring3,

If you ever find out what WFC Co. stands for, more then a few people here will stand you to a beer at least. Might be a good question for Ken Bean.

William F. Cobb
Sight patent - 175

Gene
- I don't drink Beer - soft drinks will suffice, I'll remember by next Fest if you don't. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
William F. Cobb = WFC Co.

Nice find, Gene. grin I've seen that question posted many times but this is the first time I remember anyone having an answer.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Awesome Gene!!! No one I had asked (including Mr. Bean) knew what WFC CO stood for. Thanks also for the patent link. Drawing looks like a 150, or may be both configurations are included. Abstract is a interesting read. He was from Utica NY, how appropriate!

Hope you are recording information as it is found. Your wealth of knowledge would certainly be an asset to a book covering Savage Arms and sights.

Going to try the 150 on a 6a when I can find a set of screws. Sure would like to find the sight hood and folding rear sight you mentioned.

BTW all of my 340's/342's take 10-32 screws for mounting receiver sights. Have been looking for so many different size and length screws I got confused when I posted on Bandukwalla's question just before Christmas. 340 30-30 is home again and I was able to check it out.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rick99
William F. Cobb = WFC Co.

Nice find, Gene. grin I've seen that question posted many times but this is the first time I remember anyone having an answer.

Rick, To be honest I asked the questions about a year ago myself, and I have been looking on and off for the answer for several years - when I saw the question again I did another search, I had eliminated a lot of places to look over the years and also a lot of search critiria that hasn't worked. I tried something different this time and ended up with pages of results, after looking at a few in order I had found nothing so I just started browsing and opening one if it looked promising -- I had just stumbled on to the answer about 10 minutes before I posted it..I haven't been holding out..and after all this it was in the last place I looked!

This shows the 150 front -
[Linked Image]

Here are No 19 rears, offered in two heigths - taller is for use with a hooded ramp sight, These were also listed in Stevens catalogs so watch for 9/32 dovetail, I have never found anything but 3/8 but you never know. Also, as you can see, they broke easily and the blades were easy to lose.
[Linked Image]

Gene

Last edited by GeneB; 02/09/11. Reason: added info

Gene
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
SOOO when you put those sights on the savage rifles they fit they become all "COBBED" up !!!!! grin grin Good find Gene ! smile Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don, that there is rougher than a cob.

Gene, let me guess..... Dr. Pepper? Whatever it is I'll be first in line to buy you one. Well done!

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, if anybody needs/wants a WFC #150, I have 1 sitting on my work bench that looks pretty good, but no screws. $35 shipped via USPS.

JEff

T
T
Hello I'm new here and I do know this thread is almost 4 years old but at 260Remguy I would love to buy your wfc 150 peep sight if you still have it. I am fixing up my Dads old Savage 6a for him and he lost his awhile ago. If you see this please let me know. Thanks Scott

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1234, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,873
Posts18,497,594
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.