Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry Kevin, but my best home defense handgun is a shotgun smile

Whilst my carry piece is next to the bed .... it is secondary to my shotgun. Short & nimble.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I put my Kimber 1911 in the safe and replaced it with a Glock 21 with night sights. I choose the 21 because I can have two magazines loaded in my night stand (26 rounds)and the Glock hidden in the closet since I have teenaged boys. My two yapping dogs will give me time to get to the closet..I hope. I love my Kimber, but I would rather have a 13 round magazine my self defense gun then 8.

Last edited by KuduBull; 02/11/11.

Marc
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Well, despite the fact that this thread has clearly run off the rails, I'll go back to the beginning and we'll see if it runs straight for a while.

My nightstand gun is a Glock 23 with Trijicons. It's also the gun I take with me when I fly out of town for business or pleasure. I like the G23 because it is simple enough for any of my family members to use it without having to find a manual safety or squeeze a beavertail grip, it shoots adequately powerful ammo, and it works well in the dark. I don't like having my flashlight mounted on my gun... I learned a modified Harries technique years ago and have stuck with it. I like having the flashlight free so I don't sweep my muzzle across one of the kids getting up to go to the bathroom or such like.

I tend to be armed at all times at home, so my home defense gun is usually the one on my hip (plus the backup in my pocket).
Actually Doc, that was a perfect response. I was more interested in the why as to the gun choice. The idea behind the thread was to get people to talk about why they made the choice they made, and you give very good reasons. The hope is that someone can read this thread and learn some things. MY choice isn't right for someone else who has a completely different situation. So having people discuss their circumstances and what lead them to make the choice they made, allows people to read, let the ideas rattle around in their head a little, and possibly add something new to their bag of tricks.

We can all learn a LOT from each other (ya'll teach me something every damned day I'm on this forum), by considering there is no ONE way to do things.

Ditto, both of ya.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Even better, a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in 9mm using Glock 33 round mags, with a tactical light attached.
I put it in bold letters; H A N D G U N... The second friggin response. And they say its just kids that have attention issues.

Hawk, you're killing me here dood.
I perfectly understood you, old buddy. I said "even better ..."

I understood you perfectly also.
I just figured people would stray off handguns anyway as most are a fairly lousy weapon when compared to other options.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Springfield XD40 with a Lasermax unimax rail mount laser. 2 12 rd mags fully stuffed with Remington 180jhp ammo. The gun with 1 mag inserted and the spare mag are stored on my nightstand in a touch pad activated Gun Vault, along with a Surefire Z2.

The wife has her SP101 in .357 in a similar safe on her side of the bed.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Terry;

You HAVE to hang THE home defense pic again.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

This gun made a lot of sense to Ayoob. So what�s your handgun of choice, and why?

What: Glock 17.

Why: Round in chamber. No safety.

Okay, why: Late at night. Dark. Sleepy. Intruder is in the room. No time for safeties. No time for lights or lasers. (Your children don't weigh 200 lbs, or smell anything like this guy.)

You can't count on having enough time to come fully awake.

Maybe you will. Maybe you'll have time to put your eyeglasses on and pick up the Surefire lying next to your defensive handgun.

But just in case, I think it's prudent to have the ability to light off rounds the instant your hand makes contact.

Being prepared for the worst-case scenario, which, as should be no surprise, is probably the one that's going to kill you.

(I still have a Surefire sitting on the nightstand.)

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a Springfield XD-45M (5 inch barrel) with a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on the rail.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Striker fired guns "can" be easier to cycle the slide, but it all depends on what you're comparing it to. I don't consider that much of a "feature" though, but it could be important to someone.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Striker fired guns "can" be easier to cycle the slide, but it all depends on what you're comparing it to. I don't consider that much of a "feature" though, but it could be important to someone.

I guess specifically, a glock 17, a sig 226, an hk p2000sk and and springfield xd, all in 9mm except the p2000sk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Sig P220...

unless I am missing the question

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
XD-45 with a light and laser attached. My two terriers will tell me when. Can't beat the burglar alarm...........

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Terry;

You HAVE to hang THE home defense pic again.

You mean dis one?

[Linked Image]

Or my son & I?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by T LEE; 02/11/11.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T ... did you update the 1903 finally?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still have and carry it, also have had the Commander or one like it for as long. I have a Mark IV/Series 80 Gov't model .380 as well not to mention the Kel-Tec P-32 and that is just the auto's!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jds44
This one works for me...
[Linked Image]

Nice CE smile My stainless GM may get that treatment.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No kids to worry about nowadays. My Ruger SP101 3" 357 sits on my nightstand with Speer short barrel loads. I'm actually looking for an older 3" SP101 in 38 Special. I plan on putting the laser grips on it. Probably load it with 148gr hardcast wadcutters and 231.

Pick it up, point it, pull the trigger (or not), repeat (or not)... Doesn't get much simpler. Of course my two Great Danes may intervene first. They have their own ideas about how to handle things that go bump in the night. I tend to follow their lead.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't usually 'dedicate' any particular handgun to the Home Defense role. One gun that often fills that nich is a CZ 40-P 'Franken~Pistol'.

Have also used a .40 FN Hi-Power, a Dan Wesson 357 Mag DA Revolver, A Beretta 92SB Compact-M 9MM (favorite), a Walther P 88-C 9MM ... a Springfield 1911 A-1 GI 45 ACP ...

Usually when I acquire a new Handgun, it sleeps with me ...
Until something 'newer' comes along.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Kimber Pro Carry II in .45 ACP.

Enough Said.

Hemi

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (405winash, 35, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 8 invisible), 796 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.