D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Swampman700
If you're blind the 99 is ok. Otherwise you have to look at it.

Now, that's not a nice thing to say about a classic rifle with sleek, graceful lines. I think they look nice. They're slick, fast and strong. Many are tack drivers. What more could one ask of a century old design?

DF
You could ask it to look like a 94 Winchester. As is they're uglier 'n homemade soap !

With Swampy, ugly seems pretty, and pretty is, well, out of his grasp... smirk

DF

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Some guys like blondes and some like brunettes. I hear tell there's even some guys who like fatties ! Personally, I never could convince myself to see the 99 as anything but ugly as hell !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now, that's not a nice thing to say about a classic rifle with sleek, graceful lines. I think they look nice. They're slick, fast and strong. Many are tack drivers. What more could one ask of a century old design?

DF

They look like $hit.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I could not agree more; but, I must admit, for some reason, the older I get the more they're growing on me.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

DF

They look like $hit.

LOL!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawken

I could not agree more; but, I must admit, for some reason, the older I get the more they're growing on me.

Me too, by the time I'm 1000 I'll like them.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A couple years ago I was in the local gun emporium and they had a nice Model 94 on consignment. It was probably made in the 1990s or so... I was working the action (briskly, but not abusively) and we were joking about how the lever was cranking out the sound to WIN-CHES-TER when all of a sudden the shell carrier broke in half. I almost dropped a load in my pants. Needless to say they don't let me lay hands on any Model 94s... so I stick to Marlins.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, if you get a notion that you need a 94, get an older one, at least pre 64. That was before this powdered metal stuff. My only 94 is 50's vintage.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hawken

Me too, by the time I'm 1000 I'll like them.

Swampy, what's with this avatar change I'm seeing. What went with your long standing Green logo? You now converted to the dark side, sporting the Ruger trademark? I thought I remember you bad mouthing Rugers, somthing fierce. You turning your back on Green, done run off with another mistress? Or are you a "sleeper cell", waiting your opportunity to strike? eek

DF

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

DF
You could ask it to look like a 94 Winchester. As is they're uglier 'n homemade soap !

X2!!
gary

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

DF

forgot that part about the 94 feeling like it had a hand full of sand running thru it while you cycled it!
gary

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by K1500
You don't choose a lever for it's strength or long range accuracy. You choose if for the way it handles, points, and for the imagery it invokes. For me the Win 94 wins on all counts.

you forgot to add the tomato stake part, and everybody knows that that is part of the Winchester trademark!
gary

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of you Winny fans need to handle a 1950s/1960s Marlin 336 Texan. It is just as sleek and handy as the Winchester.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Part of the problem is the relationship beteen the finger lever and the triger. The Mode 99 is somewhat lower.
The Model 99 has the advantage of the action leaping open at the shot but the cock on closing throws off your rythm until you become accustomed to it.
The Winchester must have the lever thrown briskly forward until the lifter rises, another action requiring practice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Slim
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I guess I have to say that if I can only have one, it would be a Marlin. If I can swing both though, I'd set the marlin up with glass, and run the Winchester with irons.

Truth told, if I get my hands on another Marlin model 30TK, I would never need another winchester. Those little Kmart Carbines are a wonder to behold.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You're right. I just got a TK recently and it handles perfect for me. I can see myself fitting a walnut stock to mine though. Nothing says gak to me like a birch stock.

Why did you sell the one you had, temporary insanity

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Buy both and figure out what is best for you

Rick

Life is not a spectator sport, get out and have fun.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have to say Marlin because that is what I grew up with.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I love the scene in True Grit where the Duke twirls his "Marlin" and faces off with Ned and his gang.

Err, wait a minute that never happened the Duke would never had slummed a Marlin he knew the better carbine.

Winchester...

Yes, before anyone points it out I know the Duke was using a Model 92. He still would have preferred the Winchester 94 over the Marlin... wink

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like the old ones, like this old girl...

[Linked Image]

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 3,175 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.