Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We quit relying on price as an indicator of reliability quite a while ago.

While reliability is certainly the most important requirement of a scope, I didn't mean to imply it's the only casualty of low price point. I'm talking about the whole package -- reliability, optics, options, customer service, etc. You can't have all of the above and a really low price. It simply can't happen all at once. When you sell anything at a bargain basement price, something has to give. It's simply not possible to invest a lot of cost in design, R&D, high quality components, and innovative technologies into something designed to sell in a blister pack at Walmart and still make a profit on the item. Granted, a large part of the cost of optics made in places like Germany and Austria is labor and importation, but their offerings are still by and large high quality simply because the manufacturers in those places are competing in the high end market.

Anything mechanical can fail.

Ted
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I got a Mossberg labeled scope in an ATR 100 combo and it is garbage. My wife could use the reflection made from the poor eye relief to do her makeup if she wanted. I also don't think it holds zero, but then again I don't shoot high priced ammo in that rifle either. As for Simmons, I have a 3x9 on a 30-30 that I got in '92 that hasn't been adjusted in years except by my Dad for our differences in parallax.

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too have a couple Simmons that are working perfectly. A proper installation with the best quality rings goes a long way to reaping the benefits of a low cost optic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Mule Deer!

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The only failures I have had were a Simmons power ring froze up, and a Bausch & Lomb reticle became loose.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've owned and used several Simmons optics. While I've not had any of them fail mechanically, I found them to be severely lacking optically. Of course, this is always subject to change over time depending on who owns the brand and how a given model is spec'ed out.

My big issue with Simmons besides optical deficiencies is the fact they've been bought and sold a few times and I never know whether the company handling them is committed to standing behind the product. I do feel that their current owner, ATK (Alliant), who also owns the Weaver and Nitrex brands, is committed to customer service, but previous owner Meade didn't do anything to further the brand's reputation. Current generation Weavers are pretty nice, so who knows?

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At one time I had 5 of the older Japanese made (white logo)Weaver V3's that had 3.9 inches of eye relief. These were nice scopes and I had them on 20 ga. shotguns and 30-30 rifles. I purchased these in the mid 90's and they saw a lot of use. Three of the scopes lost their nitrogen seal and fogged. No loss of accuracy though. I sent them in and two were repaired while one was alledged to be bent. The alledged bent one was returned to me and after using a lathe and dial indicator we found no bend in the scope tube. I ended up getting sent a new (green logo) V3 scope and traded it for a handi-rifle barrel. I have one Japanese V3 remaining as I have replaced the others with 2-7x33 Redfield Revolutions and 1-4x20 VX1 Leupys. Both are good scopes and I like the eye relief. Too bad about the Weavers, nice scopes, but I don't trust them anymore.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As a rule, I won't even consider anything under $100. Never met one that had much of a track record for reliability.
I have a strong tendency to use fixed magnification scopes rather than variables. The Leupolds and B&L I've used are very tough and have been very reliable.
I would also stay away from really big and/or really long scopes. Way too many have bad records of holding zero when knocked around. Or for breaking down under recoil. E

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Ringman: I own and use several of the brands you have had bad luck with!
I use them (Tasco, Simmons, Burris!) on rimfires and lesser recoiling Varminting Rifles and pistols!
I use them when and where the capability to stand up to harsh conditions, bad weather, tough trails and where waterproofness are not imperative!
If you need to absolutely RELY on your scope and its dependability and performance then forget the "lesser" brands and buy and use Leupold American Made scopes!
I have relied on them for going on 50 years now and could NOT be happier with all of the many dozens of Leupold scopes I now own and use afield!
Long live Leupold & Stevens!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The high end Bushnells, the 4200 and 6500 Elites, made in Japan are top quality optics. I don't have or want the lower end Bushnell scopes. The Japanese Tasco Titan series, no longer made, are very good optics. They can be found from time to time at a good price for the quality. People see the Tasco name and don't think they're looking at a quality scope. You gotta know your scopes to find a bargain.

I'm not too high on most of the Chinese made scopes, although, they'll probably end up making something pretty good. Early Toyotas were considered junk. The latest ones are top end vehicles. There is a natural evolution in manufacturing, a learning curve. The Chinese will progress just like the Japanese and Koreans have done. But for right now, I'm on the sideline, just watching.

DF

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have 4 varix111 2.5x8's on my go to rifles. I sent one in years back because it wouldn't hold zero. Leupold fixed it free, they replaced the erector assembly. I have other Leupold models and have had no problems. Some of those 2.5x8's are around 25 years old. I have an old Scopechief 1.5x4.5 and another 2.5x8 and they have been trouble free also, but they're not as clear as the Leupolds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Current production Bushnell Banners are outstanding.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Of course, I agree with the Leupold fans. I'm one, too. Just ordered a VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS. The new series Leupold have great glass and Leupolds have always been very tough, well made scopes that will take a lot of abuse.

I stay away from the lower end scopes. IHMO, dealing there is a hit and miss proposition. I know people who swear by the Tasco World Class series, for example. Other brands have their following. I don't have the time to sort through all that and stick to what I know works. And having good scopes that work doesn't mean one has to become a brand snob. One just has to know what works and go with those products. I appreciate the info on this and other forums. All of us can benefit from the experiences, both good and bad, of our fellow Forum contributors.

RKR

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
bottom line you get what you pay for
yeap i said it but i meant generally speaking i get a real kick out of someone saying there $120 (new) buschnell banner (example) is better than a leupold vx2 or vx 3 or you get the idea aint saying some cheaper priced scope arern't a good scope for the $. the opposite can be true too how ever some guy got this wal-mart leupold rifleman but he by god got a leupold it is the best but in reallity the elite 3200 is better scope in same price range. there is sometimes too i wonder if some people can accually see more clarity in better optics because of aging eyes or other vision problems and there eyesight is a little fuzzy itself and they reallt can not see the difference (my 69 yr old dad case and point)

Last edited by ldholton; 02/14/11.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
i get a real kick out of someone saying there $120 (new) buschnell banner (example) is better than a leupold vx2 or vx 3 or you get the idea aint

I get out a kick out of people thinking that a leupold is something special...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
i get a real kick out of someone saying there $120 (new) buschnell banner (example) is better than a leupold vx2 or vx 3 or you get the idea aint

I get out a kick out of people thinking that a leupold is something special...
dont know about special but to me good looking fairly light weight vs other in same class top notch resale value warranty & coustmer service yea guess they are pretty much run of the mill LOL grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Opinions are like ah's, everybody has one. Here's mine. I get kinda tired hearing about how poor that Simmons scopes are. When I have trouble with one, you can listen to me. I have several that I bought on different closeouts. They are great add-ons to trade rifles. I also use them and they preform fine for what I want. My lever carbines carry Simmons 1.5x5x20 Pro Diamond shotgun scopes. My last two bucks were taken with a $28 Simmons fixed 6x power. One was glass measured at 313yds. Both were bang/flop with a .308 Sav 99.

I have more expensive scopes, but these work for me. I sleep at home when I hunt. If I were traveling, I am sure my rifles would carry some of my better glass. I have Leupolds and my last purchase was Minox for a .270WBY Ruger #1. I have more guns than I can hunt with.

I always use good mounts and rings to try to help my cheap glass. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently had a Pentax scope whose turrent proke off. They sent me a new one right away..no questions asked. I have moved up slowly from the cheap scopes ($30-$50 Bushnell, Simmons and Tasco) to Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell 4200 Elites, and Pentex Pioneer. I have never really had a rifle scope break down on a rifle. Just a choice on clarity as I get older.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RifleDude
In general, I'm suspect of any scope retailing for less than $150. I just don't believe you can manufacture an instrument as complex and demanding as a rifle scope and still retail it for less than that with quality as a top priority.

Of course it is true that that at present, no one will sell you a new "top quality" rifle scope for less than $150. It is also true however, that much more "complex and demanding" instruments are in fact made and sold for less; witness terrabyte hard drives or 60x zoom digital auto focus camcorders available at less than $150.00 retail.

Rifle scopes are a mature product - good ones can be made quite inexpensively...

Last edited by night_owl; 02/14/11.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 50 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,125
Posts18,523,041
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.