Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I currently have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited w/ a 24" octagon barrel in 45LC and it's one of my absolute favorite guns of all time. That being said, I also hear a lot of good things about the Winchester 1892 and was wondering what the differences were between these two rifles.

FWIW, I like to break clay pigeons and plink with my rifle and plan to do some small game hunting and early season doe hunting with it as well. I could also see trying my hand at silhouette shooting one of these days too but don't have any plans to do any Cowboy Action shooting with either one if that matters....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nebraska,

I've got a NavyArms 92, a copy of the Winchester 92, in .45 Colt.

I had the barrel cut to 16" to make it a "trapper"
It's my all-time favorite for walking my dogs in the woods around my home.

Have spotted black bear, and my neighbor has seen Cougar several times.

This little gun is very comforting to have along!

There ain't nothin as slick as a 92 action!

Virgil B

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I like the sound of that Virgil! Any pics of your Trapper?? I bet that's a handy little set-up....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You could go on all day about strengths and weaknesses, but it all boils down to whether you want to scope it or not. The Marlin for a scope and the Winchester if not. As was said, the '92 action, especially in a real Winchester, is the slickest lever going. The replicas ain't as slick, but ain't as refined, although that can be taken care of.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
That pic didn't come through on my end....

I wouldn't scope it but would like to add a ghost-ring, peep, or some other type of iron that's easy to see to the '92 because I don't like using factory irons. FWIW, I don't like the peep sights that attach to the side of a receiver; I'd either want one on top of the receiver or possibly a flip-up tang peep-sight. Is that an option?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winnie 92- very, very slick action, very complicated to work on, no scopes

Marlin 1894- not as slick, very very easy to work on, can mount a scope if you want to, also you can remove the bolt to clean from the rear.

For what you describe either would be fine. XS makes a ghost ring for the 92 I belive. I know they do for the Marlins.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got a williams 5d sight for my winchester top eject, and have been very pleased with it. However, I must add that it seem to be aluminum cast, and I do expect that it won't wear a long time if it gets adjusted frequently for different ranges. I'm leaving it set for 75 yd shots.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
For that type of gun, 75 yards seems about perfect for a zero anyway. Of course, I'm not the best shot in the world and am perfectly happy with minute of clay pigeon at 50 yards and minute of milk jug at 100..... grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd have to agree that the only real advantage to the Marlin rifles is the ability to mount a scope.

Other so-called advantages are more in the mind of the shooter rather than "real". It is often stated that the Marlin design is better due to it being more "enclosed" and less prone to dirt getting into the action. Does that mean you NEVER clean your rifle......a mythical advantage at best.

I often also see the "supposed" advantage of the Marlin action because of the ability to remove the bolt and clean from the rear.........who the hell actually does this???? I've been around guns my whole life and can not recall a single instance of anyone pulling out the bolt to clean from the rear.

Don't get me wrong.....I "like" the Marlin lever guns (probably more than the Winchesters) but most of the arguments I hear about the superiority of one over the other are garbage. Both are great in their own way......just accept that some prefer one or the other and quit trying to come up with rediculous arguments to "prove" ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I'd have to agree that the only real advantage to the Marlin rifles is the ability to mount a scope.

Other so-called advantages are more in the mind of the shooter rather than "real". It is often stated that the Marlin design is better due to it being more "enclosed" and less prone to dirt getting into the action. Does that mean you NEVER clean your rifle......a mythical advantage at best.

I often also see the "supposed" advantage of the Marlin action because of the ability to remove the bolt and clean from the rear.........who the hell actually does this???? I've been around guns my whole life and can not recall a single instance of anyone pulling out the bolt to clean from the rear.

Don't get me wrong.....I "like" the Marlin lever guns (probably more than the Winchesters) but most of the arguments I hear about the superiority of one over the other are garbage. Both are great in their own way......just accept that some prefer one or the other and quit trying to come up with rediculous arguments to "prove" ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

I like to do it from the rear.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nebraska,

Don't have any pictures, yet.

Next time my little girl is over, I'll get her to help get some pictures.

Also have a 1912 mfg. Winchester 92 carbine in 32-20. It's way "slicker" that the NavyArms 92, just not a handy as the trapper.

Wife has a Browning 92 in .357 Mag. It's almost as slick as the Winchester.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Winnie 92- very, very slick action, very complicated to work on, no scopes

Marlin 1894- not as slick, very very easy to work on, can mount a scope if you want to, also you can remove the bolt to clean from the rear.

For what you describe either would be fine. XS makes a ghost ring for the 92 I belive. I know they do for the Marlins.

In the world of Cowboy Action Shooting, the Marlins are faster than '92s, and easier to improve even more.

And for other posters, yes, most remove the Marlin bolt and clean from the action end. Especially the black powder shooters.

-R44

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I thought that most knowledgeable shooters cleaned their gun from the chamber end if it is possible on the given gun. I suppose "bubba" always cleans barrels from the muzzle end.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.