Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
laugh

What are you laughing at?

You and Tom.177 tied for second. grin

When does the annual woodchuck thinning begin? I might have to come up with my shotgun. wink

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

But I won't sign off on them being the be-all end-all bullet because they aren't, for the reasons I've articulated.

By your own admission, you don't know they aren't.

I have been loading my own ammo and killing deer with that ammo since 1956. I have used really [bleep] bullets and I have used outstanding bullets. For my money we have the best bullets in all of that time right now. The Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets are as far as I am concerned the best of the lot. Pull your head out of your ass and ask yourself if all the people who like them so much and use them in preference to all other bullets are doing that if they think there is or even might be something better for the job at hand. The only other option you have if that isn't what they are thinking is that like you, they're just ignorant and none of them know what the hell they're talking about.

Do I need them if I want to kill a deer? Most of the time not. Do they provide more margin for when things just aren't perfect. Even you have that figured out. Do they fail more often than any other bullet? Not that anyone has demonstrated so far. The worst experience with a Barnes that I have personally had in fifty odd years is some of the early ones in copper tubing were not accurate enough to hunt with. In the last few years the eleven rifles I load for aside from my own have killed some forty deer give or take a couple. Zero evidence of any bullet failure in any of those deer In the years prior, I don't know how many I killed with Barnes, but none of them failed either. I am not the least bashful about putting bullets through deer at pretty steep angles BECAUSE I use Barnes bullets.

It's not that I ask a lot of the bullets. It's that I expect a lot from them because they deliver it more consistently than any other bullet I have ever used. Last season I passed on 10-12 deer opening weekend to choose one fawn and one doe. Why those particular deer, I have no idea, but... Once I decided those deer were going in the freezer they were absolutely going to die. At that point, there's only one bullet I want in the gun and I will not settle for anything I think is one iota less than the best available to me to put that deer down.

If they weren't accurate I wouldn't use them. If they had a problem with performance on game I wouldn't use them. I am pretty damn sure the people who use them are of the same opinion. JJ Hack is not using them and putting them in guns for his clients knowing there's a better bullet for the job. I think you can bet money on that one.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Geezz.....I am no long range expert,having taken only a few head of BG past 400 yards and never beyond 500.....but there is a lot of curious stuff on here when it comes to wind, drop,killing effectivness etc...out to that distance.

......and to read some of this stuff, you would think that a Barnes bullet at 500 yards is akin to flinging powder puffs in a wind tunnel....

"like leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky...."

....and with that "low" BC they are plodding along like the proverbial snail...barely able to dent a Robin's egg,giving one the impression they could not kill woodchuck at distance....funny stuff. smile

Yep and it makes you wonder how I ever drooped game at nearly 800 yards with those "fluffy" TSX bullets, but somehow they managed to kill them on the spot without any "DRAMA" and that is why the "DRAMA QUEEN" doesn't like them not enough "DRAMA" foe him/her/it or whatever

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I think we got the better choice of the two for president. Obama is smart, young, and has an agile mind. We are apparantly heading into a massive era of socialization of the economy ANYWAY, regardless of who is president, and partly BECAUSE OF 8 years of a Republican in office... so the classic "Dem's are going to socialize everything!" battle cry really holds no water for me. We are FUBAR that way no matter what at this point. I'm not a social conservative and I can't roll with Ms. Palin's rabid Pro-Life stance so... there it is.

Geezzuss....no wonder this country is in trouble......man...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know. They expand.... usually..... grin

Jeff �

You know I like good bullets and refuse to usestandard C&C�s in my bolt guns. For 20+ years I used Grand Slams in my 7mm RM and was pretty happy with their performance, the down side being they were never quite as accurate as I wanted. They tended to shoot .9� 3-shot groups pretty consistently. When Speer changed the manufacturing and went to a single core, I started looking around at other bullets. The Barnes XLCs were the first and shot great (0.5� at times) but a bad experience with an antelope buck sent me running back to the Grand Slams, with which I took two more elk that year. North Fork were next. Not only did they shoot great, (.262� best for 3 shots), they proved devastating on game � which was pretty much expected. As started adding bolt guns to my collection the North Fork were the bullet of choice and were very accurate in all. The supply was a little iffy, though, and I wanted a back-up bullet.

When the �improved� TSX bullets came out, I gave them a try. They were accurate in every rifle I tried them in. (My .257 Roberts, with 115g TSX, tended to shoot the centers out of clay pigeons at 200 yards.) Still, I had concerns about using them due to reports that they sometimes failed to open. In the end, I never used any on game.

Enter the MRX and later the TTSX. Across the board I find the TTSX to be the more accurate of the two. Just before the 2010 elk season I did a final check at 600 yards with the two rifles I was taking, a .300WM with 180g MRX and a .30-06 with 150g AccuBond. I fired a total of 5 shots at clay pigeons on the 600 yard berm and took one with each rifle. The TTSXs may be more accurate, but the MRXs are accurate enough. When I gave my son-in-law a .30-06 as a wedding present, I also worked up 168g TTSX loads for it.

So far we have only taken deer and antelope with the MRX and TTSX, but the results have been consistent. Even on the antelope the bullets have expanded, mushed the vitals and exited. One MRX went front to back on a mulie with straight down results. At this point I really don�t have any concerns about the ability of the TTSX or MRX to expand reliably when properly stabilized at impact. (Twist rates that are too slow or hitting brush enroute might cause a problem, as they can with any bullet.)

There are valid performance concerns for not using TSX and older X bullets (I burned the XLCs up on targets and am doing the same with the TSX I have), but the tipped TTSX and MRX really are a big improvement as far as I�m concerned.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Geezz.....I am no long range expert,having taken only a few head of BG past 400 yards and never beyond 500.....but there is a lot of curious stuff on here when it comes to wind, drop,killing effectivness etc...out to that distance.

......and to read some of this stuff, you would think that a Barnes bullet at 500 yards is akin to flinging powder puffs in a wind tunnel....

"like leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky...."

....and with that "low" BC they are plodding along like the proverbial snail...barely able to dent a Robin's egg,giving one the impression they could not kill woodchuck at distance....funny stuff. smile

Yep and it makes you wonder how I ever drooped game at nearly 800 yards with those "fluffy" TSX bullets, but somehow they managed to kill them on the spot without any "DRAMA" and that is why the "DRAME QUEEN" doesn't like them not enough "DRAMA" foe him/her/it or whatever

It's thinking like this and the ideas it alludes to which bother me when it comes to bullet adoration. Every problem I've had with Barnes bullets over the years has come when the bullet has slowed down. Mostly that's at long distances and generally it has involved both poor or no expansion and penetration which is lacking. (So much for overpenetration when they fail.) And I don't like the drama these kinds of situations can cause. In my experience even the old XFBs were fantastic bullets when they made contact with adequate speed, and I was never bashful about being one of their proponents, though that wasn't the popular position to take when they were known more as "copper crap which won't shoot." But to suggest that they are adequate bullets for long range hunting without qualifying that they have been launched by uber mags and at powder-puff targets borders on irresponsible. Copper is still copper, and always will be harder and tougher than lead. I hope and expect that the added tip will help with expansion problems, but they still won't be magic bullets.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had some 130gr TSX out of my 270Win pencil through on small deer broadside, but I've never failed to recover an animal. The 180TSX out of my 300Win has been a devastating round on every deer and hog I've taken with it. There may be something a little "off" with that batch of 130TSX .277s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't surprise me that JO hasn't returned to this thread and admitted he was wrong.

Another example of his intellectual dishonesty.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Oh he'll likely show up breathless about skiing all day. I looked for him on the mountain today. Figured he'd be the guy skiing up the hill and riding the chairlift down, saying "but it works for ME" (grin)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Klik: I am assuming that we are talking TTSX;and that lessons of driving them hard have been learned.JMHO but if I ever get around to using them, they will be going fast.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'll just say that TSX bullets work very well out of the 6.8 SPC and it don't drive them very fast. At least the 16" barreled upper that I have doesn't

I have killed a few head of game a long ways out and never have a problem, I shoot they drop on the spot. What's not to like?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After reflecting on 40 something years of shooting animals, it struck me that game seems to have the same reaction when hit with a .25 caliber TSX as it does with a 12ga rifled slug.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just wait till JeffO starts using tsx's and becomes and expert on them overnight.

It will probably make you quit shooting them.

He just announced that he is getting a 7WSM built.

I'm thinking of selling mine now....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How would we know if he did, or not?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
After reflecting on 40 something years of shooting animals, it struck me that game seems to have the same reaction when hit with a .25 caliber TSX as it does with a 12ga rifled slug.

Was this study of yours done in a controlled environment with specific data parameters? Can we expect to see it published soon? grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope...just watchin' lots of 'em fall down and kick a little bit! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Doesn't surprise me that JO hasn't returned to this thread and admitted he was wrong.

Another example of his intellectual dishonesty.....

Whenever I see his posts all it says is .... *** You are ignoring this user ***

Been here over 6 years and still amazed that he posts the same thing every time. And he's the only one.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.