Hop To
#4957586 02/19/11
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I just put my new wall tent up.
Don't laugh but does the sod cloth have to go to the inside? are there any advantages? I do not intend to use a floor.

A few pic's.........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never seen anyone have it on the outside, but nothing says you can't as long as you can still put your bottom stakes in, which I don't think would work with my tent. I personally like to set my poles (internal frame) on the sod cloth to help hold the tent down. I also use a tarp for a floor and having it overlap the sod cloth helps form a barrier around the edges. I also tuck the edges of the tarp under the poles to help keep it in place.

Probably the biggest disadvantage I see to having it outside the tent is it will catch more wind than having it inside.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The original idea behind sod clothes was that you dug a trench for water to go around the tent and put the sod on the cloth to seal the tent to the ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a 14'x16'x5' A wall tent for 30 years. I always put the sod cloth inside with the internal frame wall poles on top of it. Makes almost certain that the wind can not come in under the tent edges.

A trick I learned long ago was to carry enough clean, empty cat food cans or tuna fish cans to put under the poles inside to protect the sod cloth. Works fine.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always put the sod flap inside and then lay a poly tarp down that overlaps it and maybe extends up the wall a bit. Then when the snow gets to melting and dripping from the eaves, I don't get water running on thetarp. Don't know about rain,it's been many years since I had to camp in a rain.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
O.K. next dumb ?
If it goes inside then if you drive the stakes from the outside then the stake would go through the sod cloth, correct?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Usually designed to go on the inside.

The coolest floor is made out of multi-mesh its tough, no need for a stove cut out, let's water, snow, stuff you spill drain through, but really keeps the mud, dirt, dust down. David Ellis made one for my tipi, use it rafting and car camping (its a bit heavy for backpacking). He calls them "woven floors".

http://www.cowboycamp.net/WallTentOptions.html

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tx Trapper
O.K. next dumb ?
If it goes inside then if you drive the stakes from the outside then the stake would go through the sod cloth, correct?

The way my tent is designed, just the opposite would be true. It has grommets sewn onto a flap along the outside bottom edge that is outside of the sod cloth, so I would have to drive the stakes through the sod cloth to have it on the outside of the tent. Hope that makes sense.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine is the same as GW

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The sod cloth goes on the inside and you want it that way because if you put it on the outside, it will catch rain and snow melt and channel it to the inside of the tent. That will make the floor a muddy mess. You want the sod cloth on the inside to prevent moisture and wind from entering the tent.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,488
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.