Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Will be hunting blackies near Kake in late April. Anyone out there got any good recon? I would apreciate any info that you think might help.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We took a short 35 mile trip across the salt water to Admiralty Island in 2007, saw lots of Grizzly sign and even shot a couple. Didn't need any guide, just waders and a rifle.

Kake, however, was a sleepy, almost ignorant town with 2 huge diesel generators making all their electricity. I am not aware of the access around Kake for bears, but I would think Prince of Wales would be a better choice, tons of bears there.

We also hunted black bears around Ketchikan, up the shoreline and into some of those bays, plenty bears there too. We always got some, where ever we went...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
KC,

Guided? Unguided? Hunting from a boat, or hunting the road system out of Kake?

April can be a bit of a crap-shoot weather-wise, but the winters been fairly easy this year so hopefully the beaches won't be snow-bound too late. Give us a bit more info on your hunt and it might be a bit easier to point you in the right direction.

Chris

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Grizzlies on Admiralty...but the boys did find the Rat Patch!

Kake's lack of pressure,gene pool,forgiving terrain and layout,make it easily one of the best bets going.

Though not in April.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Chris:

We will be staying at a bunk house in Kake and hunting without a guide. We will have access to ATVs and boats.

Places that I've seen mentioned for bear viewing include the following:

Bear Crossing Road Access at the Kake Hatchery
Silver Spike Road Bridge
Gunnuck Creek specially down stream from the hatchery
Kadake Bay (tide flats)
Big John Bay (tide flats)

What do you think about those locations? Will people get pi$$ed if we hunt near the hatcheries?

We will only be there for five days. So we won't have much time for setting bait station.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the places you cite are either in town,or Native Lands. The Hatchery sets in the middle of town,but mebbe 300yds from the beach and mebbe 150yds from the main road in town,with houses on all sides.

You're on a roll baby!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's interesting to look through the B&C database and see the bears that 'humper has put in the book from that area..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lived there myself and it has the lack of pressure,gene pool,forgiving terrain and layout,making it easily one of the best bets going.

Just couldn't suggest April,nor a Hunt in town...but some ain't no good at taking "hints".....................(grin)

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
KC,

The tide flat areas you mentioned would be worth checking, as would any other beach area with emerging grasses and sedges. If hunting the road system, make sure you are aware of land ownership status, as hunting in town or on Native Corporation land likely won't make you any friends.

Unfortunately, as Stick said, right area, wrong time. Lots of good bear hunting accessible from Kake, but April, wow. If you have any pull with the Man upstairs you'd better start praying for an early, warm spring up here. Not knowing your schedule, if you could bump your trip out at least a couple of weeks that's probably what I'd suggest.

Feel free to flip me a PM if you have more questions. Best of luck!

Chris

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Chris:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we are committed to the last week of April. I'll be hoping for an early warm spell.

KC

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take the boats and run down Keku Strait and Rocky Pass. Plenty of good tidal flats to scope out. I would try to access Hamilton Bay and Big John Bay. Maybe look at Kadake Bay as well. Keep in mind that Kadake Bay and Big John Bay have FS cabins so there might be other folks in the area.

Deal with it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd dip West if doing that and nose Kuiu.

That Country is a snow belt and he's Hungchow,before he even starts. Good 'Un's there,emerge late...............

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

AKBoater:

I was told that Rocky Pass is risky to navigate for someone unfamiliar with the route. What's you opinion?

KC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nawwwwww...it's called Rocky Pass,due to it's soft bottom..................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ahhhhhhh, classic Stick! Makes a guy's morning.

It's not the destination...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WHERE do these [bleep] idiots come from?!!?..................

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
KC,

Yes, it can get a bit sporty depending on the tide. If you have a decent chartplotter and pay close attention to the channel markers it's a bit less hair-raising. If the tide's ripping, portions of Rocky Pass can be much like navigating a narrow river with a lot of water movement. You just need to be on your game and pay attention to driving the boat and not sight-seeing. Make sure you carry a paper chart as well and know how to read it.

Since some of the better hunting can be later in the evening, I would not recommend being on the south end of Rocky Pass when the sun goes down and trying to navigate back north through the Pass after dark. Also, the Devil's Elbow USFS cabin gets some use during spring bear season, so it's likely you'd not be alone down there either. Of course, seeing as you'll be there in April, maybe you would have it all to yourself.

Chris

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long ways to go for Skunks..................(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't recommend running Rocky in the dark. Definately worth taking Stick's advice and running across Keku to Kuiu Is. If the weather works poke around into Saginaw and hunt the flats and beaches in there.

Deal with it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Get one of those 2 million cp spotlights. A good hand held gps with blue charts will keep you out of trouble too. That's why they make aluminum boats.. (grin) Extra prop or two and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (21, 160user, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 30 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.