Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that.
Sheesh, now I'll probably get busted for violating a patent.
Never mind, I'm gonna try it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

I have very little experience in anything gunsmithing or refinishing, but I do have a somewhat extensive backround in sealing and finishing wood using epoxy.
Shooting is a sideline for me, my first love is surf fishing for striped bass in the NE and making the large wooden lures to do it with.
For those of you who frequent the larger Striped Bass fishing sites, yes, I'm that Sudsy (ducks out of the line of fire)

Here's a post I made on one of those sites a bunch of years ago explaining how to best seal a wooden lure, perhaps something in it could be useful here:

Originally Posted by Sudsy;2925015
[quote]The heat bit was something I had kinda kept to myself and only shared with a few of the guys in my club but it looks like the cat's way out of the bag and the bags so tore up it might as well be tossed.

So here it is. Put the turned, milled wood into the oven at 225 degrees for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour depending on the thickness of the plug. You want the wood hot, but not so hot that you can't touch it.
Mix up a batch of epoxy, I've always used Envirotex only because it's convenient for me to find but Systems 3 is thinner and would likely work even better.
Using a cheap throw away plastic eyedropper, squirt epoxy down the through hole until it comes out the far end.
Epoxy the belly holes and eye holes using a Qtip.
Squeeze some epoxy into the lip slot and use a piece of sheet metal to push it all the way in.
Give the entire plug a heavy coat, a 1" foam brush works well
If it absorbs to the point that it looks dull not shiny put some more on. Let it soak in until it starts to get tacky (5+ minutes or so) By this time the wood's not going to absorb any more.
Wipe the plug down well with a paper towel removing all the excess epoxy.
With a tight fitting metal rod clear all excess epoxy in the through hole. I've found that a metal shish kabob skewer works well for this.
Make sure there's no excess in the belly holes and especially in the lip slot and eye holes.
Let it cure overnight.

A final sanding with 400 grit and you've got a hard as rock totally waterproof, pretty much bullet proof and bluefish proof plug body.

I was never planning on sharing this - You all owe me a plug now wink

Attached Images
hidebehindcouch.gif (7.91 KB, 214 downloads)
Last edited by Sudsy; 03/20/11.

"I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries,
and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am"..... Crash Davis
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,987
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.