-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently was able to trade for a Ruger #3 in 30/40 Krag. One complaint the stock don't fit me at all and I'm not crazy about the barrel band. I really like the #3 and have been looking for one for years. My question,Will the stock off a No.1-A fit?
Does anybody here have a #3 with a stock other than original they could show pictures of? Thank you

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Patrick,

The buttstock from a #1 will indeed fit. I have #1 wood on all of my #3's. The fore-stock from a 1-S or 1-B will fit, also. The #3 barrel is the same contour as the 1-B, 1-S.

The problem with fitting a #1 buttstock, is that the shape of the lever leaves very little room for one's fingers... frown

I have had two of mine rebent, but am not entirely satisfied with the result of either. frown

I also purchased a #3 once that had a piece of wood fitted to the comb, making it taller. It had a #1 pad fitted to it. And also, had the barrel band removed and had a fore-end cap with contrasting wood fitted in place of the band. An imporvement, for sure, but I really did not care for it. smile My favorite #3 has a custom fore-end with a schnabel on it. This one was a .22 Hornet... But I had it rebored to a .356 Winchester . Turned it into a right handy little sporter... smile And rather unique, too!

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just love the #3 in .30-40. Probably the nicest longgun Ruger ever made.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Grasshopper
I just had mine bobbed like a borchardt! Easy to operate and eye appealing.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Anyone that thinks highly of a Ruger #3 is either very weird, or has a warped sense of reality! I would seriously doubt if the erstwhile Swampy has ever fired one. They are very uncomfortable, ungainly, and almost crude!

That said, However, they were made in some calibers NOT available in #1's. (Which is the ONLY reason I ever bought them.) I think I currently own six: A .30-40 Krag, a Custom Schuetzen in .32-40, a .356 Win, a .375 Win, a Custom, .338/06 Ack. Imp, and a .45-70 w/ bbl removed. Caliber yet to be determined. I had previous owned others in .22 Hornet, .223 Rem, and .375 Win.

I used to look for them as a basis to build customs because they were considerable cheaper that #1's. But now no longer so. AAMOF, building customs on #1's or #3's is turning into a right expensive proposition! blush So much so, that after I complete the ones I have in the works, I'm not sure I'll ever do another!

I wonder how many Swampy has ever owned?

GH

The only one I've never owned is the elusive .44 Mag. And I don't recall that I've ever even handled one! I've never seen only one or two advertised in the GUN LIST...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ctw
Grasshopper

CTW,

Not familar with the Borchardt! I'd like to see how that was done!

My .45-70 action has had the lever cut off and welded back on somewhat reminiscent of a Dakota 10...

GH

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I lived in NH, I knew a guy who worked for Ruger who had a #3 in 444 Marlin, a rechambered 44 Rem Mag. I recall him telling me that it kicked like a SOB with his maximum 300 grain handloads. I think that he had the work done by the little gun shop that handled all of Ruger's Pine Tree Castings transfers, Rody's in Guild/Newport, NH.

JEff

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pictures Dudes! This could be a great topic!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I just love the #3 in .30-40. Probably the nicest longgun Ruger ever made.

I'll stand with you on this statement!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe this is the Borchadt GH is speaking of.

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Originally Posted by ctw
Grasshopper

CTW,

Not familar with the Borchardt! I'd like to see how that was done!

My .45-70 action has had the lever cut off and welded back on somewhat reminiscent of a Dakota 10...

GH

I did bob my custom #3 lever a la' Borchardt, but I only have the "before" picture and not the "after". Anyway, it looks a lot better and it works fine, especially if you lighten the spring in the plunger that holds the lever in position.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

AAMOF, building customs on #1's or #3's is turning into a right expensive proposition! blush So much so, that after I complete the ones I have in the works, I'm not sure I'll ever do another!

GH

I'm in agreement with you, there were several I planned to do, but Ruger kept putting them out in the chamberings I was considering. The customs didn't make sense for me. I don't know as I will do one unless things change drastically. IMO Ruger has put out some nice chamberings of the #1 in the past year or so.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm not crazy about the barrel band.

I removed the barrel band on my #3 in 223. I removed wood from the tip and rounded it off to look like it never had a barrel band. I then removed enough wood from the front of the barrel channel to allow for some bedding material to bring it back to a near perfect fit.
I also relieved the wood from contact with the action and put a semi hard shim between the barrel and the carrier.
This gun now shoots some stuff into a quarter inch when I am up to it.
But, yes the #3 is not a comfortable to handle and shoot as the #1.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Patrick,
Here's a couple pics showing unmodified #3 levers with #1 buttstocks. The second one is an inexpensive Reinhart-[bleep] semi-inletted stock that I bought about 15 years ago. I've not had any problems with grasping the rear part of the lever with my fingers rather than trying to get my fingers between the lever and the stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This pic shows a #3 with a #1b forend. The barrel is original 22" even though it looks shorter due to the long forend. The front sight had been removed and it had been rechambered to .22 K-Hornet. The long forend was great for PD shooting off a bench.
[Linked Image]
Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.