Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jamie
I like to use the scope that is going to ride on the rifle permanently for load development. By the time your done with load workup you know if the scope/rifle combo is a good match.

I agree, but sometimes it is a good idea to take a scope that is proven and use it to test the rifle it is going on. After I know the rifle is capable, I'll generally use a new scope and verify the new scope is good to go. I generally use one of my 4.5-14x40 nikons for testing, not because they are "higher powered" (compared to the 4x or 3-9's we use) but because they have proven to be very repeatable and consistent on my other rifles. One poor Nikon has a couple of ring marks on it but is still working great and I think it is retired for this intended purpose (has been tested on 5 different rifles) and is going to stay on the rifle its on grin.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You've clearly missed the dime! Again this phenomenon prevails.... grin OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've clearly missed the dime! Again this phenomenon prevails.... OT

I had a guy seriously say that when I fired a 3 shot group slightly over an inch at 300 yards. One was in the "X" and two were beside it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't switch out, but have gone to higher mag scopes as I've aged and gotten richer. One can shoot quite accurately, if his target meshes well with his sighting system. I've gone to 10X scopes on my 22 LR's. At 100 yds it's the difference between hitting Beldings ground squirrels in the head, or simply trying hit the squirrel with a 4X scope. With a couple of 24X scopes, I center on a 1/4 inch wide bullseye at 100 yds. With that equipment, I'm cognizant of my heartbeat, motiong that I would never catch with a 6 x scope.

With front and back apertures on my 45-90, I can do MOA groups at 100 yds. The target that fits those sights at 100 has about a 7 inch diameter black circle on a white background with a 2 inch diameter white circle in the center. It's the large black circle that I am centering in those sights. That same target would not work at all for me at 3 or 400 yds.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like to hold belly-button on them..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I like to hold belly-button on them..................

Makes for better acrobatics grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Hit that [bleep] in the belly button!",is one of my most oft used phrases...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the behind the ear shot grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pretty reliable old Leupold LPS 3.5-14 set up in Talley QDs for a Rem 700 long (its "home" is a .257 Roy). Since Talleys is pretty much all I run on hunting rigs, I have been known to strap it onto a new rifle in 700 long to develop loads, or on a rifle where things seem screwy and I want to check the scopes/mounts off the list of possibles.

It ain't a 36X, but it's nice for range work, and so I use it. Normally, I swap it out with a 2.5-8x36 when I'm done.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
thanks guys for all the comments and comedy.

Clos

NRA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the head with my 22 LR's. No one makes it back to their burrow. With a good scattering of bodies out in the target zone, the landowner will furnish me with free ammo.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/23/11.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd happily pay extry,for belly-button pokes.................(grin)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Everyone with a Cough Silencer around their neck and a Butt Buddy in their back pocket..............

What the fork is a butt buddy?

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500

What the fork is a butt buddy?

Google Images is your friend! grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dayum Pete that reply spooked me, Im afraid to look. LOL

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by clos
who here uses a 24x or even higher magnification scope when testing loads then switch back to their intended scope after a desired load is found?

I used to until I compared results with various scopes and found that there wasn't any difference in group sizes. The only advantage of a high X scope is you don't need a spotter to check your group size.

I'd love to be able to shoot a sub 1/4 moa group w/ my 350 rem mag, but it's only a 1/2" gun

[Linked Image]

and that group shot w/ a 2 1/2x scope.

I can see more X for competition or shooting at targets so small you can't see them w/o high x, but as far as more x improving ones load work, my experience has been it's just a way to waste ammo and have to re-zero another scope. But I'm lazy w/ load work and would rather find a good load, load up a pile, and shoot the heck out of em vs. playing musical scopes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you maintain that you can target shoot as well with a 2.5x as a 12x, you are sadly mistaken or a very poor shot. And a 3 shot wallet group doesn't change that.
I've never found changing to another scope and sighting in a rifle to be that difficult a chore. Maybe you need to study up on that too.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
X's get superfluous,very fast. Reticles and aiming point,matter muchly.

I've never had to swap glass,to wring a rifle out.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I concur with Lott's thoughts on this. Xs can be handy if you're too lazy to get or make a proper target that you can see, but a good target, at least with a hunting rifle, works equally well in my experience when paired with a decent hunting scope.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Everybody's different, for me the extra magnification makes it easier to shoot tighter groups and see what the rifle will do. I have a 4-20X scope I sometimes swap on a rifle to wring it out. If it's a 1 in. rifle at best then the 20x scope isn't going to do a lot of good, but if it's a sub 1/2" rifle then I can tell the difference. It's sitting on a 6.5 WSM with a Kreiger barrel right now, the extra magnification helps on that rifle. I'm well aware that I don't need a sub 1/2" rifle to kill deer, but need has nothing to do with it, it's what I want and I enjoy playing with them. If you can shoot as well with a really accurate rifle wearing a 6x scope then good on you. The extra magnification helps me and it's not much trouble to swap scopes.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.