Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hmmmmmmmmm...

It seems as if we have a fine gathering of "poets" in this forum.

Your words and deeds... and your love of a quiet woods and traditional muzzle-loading rifles sparks a great desire in the hearts of those of us who have read your words.

There's a true kinship in the kindred spirit shared by us all who truly love the aroma of black powder smoke and the feel of the thrust of a good ramrod as it seats a round, patched ball down on black powder.

I thank each of you fine gentlemen for your vivid descriptions of those things we all hold so dear and covet so much... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunt with traditional caplock rifles, mostly in .54 caliber for deer. I also use black powder and patched round balls. I'm not interested in an inline muzzleloader of any sort. That is just my personal preference. I really enjoy using the type of equipment I've chosen.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Hmmmmmmmmm...

It seems as if we have a fine gathering of "poets" in this forum.

Your words and deeds... and your love of a quiet woods and traditional muzzle-loading rifles sparks a great desire in the hearts of those of us who have read your words.

There's a true kinship in the kindred spirit shared by us all who truly love the aroma of black powder smoke and the feel of the thrust of a good ramrod as it seats a round, patched ball down on black powder.

I thank each of you fine gentlemen for your vivid descriptions of those things we all hold so dear and covet so much... smile

What (?)sane man WOULDN'T have a ball wandering around the forests with set-ups like these??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it can be summed up very simply: Traditional shooters wax poetic as they lovingly caress their muzzle loaders. Have you ever seen a guy act like that with a plastic and stainless steel inline? They are cold, efficient tools- no more no less, and evoke nothing in regards to our heritage.

(That probably also explains why I like pre-war Savage 99's and Mauser sporters over plastic and stainless modern whiz-bangs, L.C.Smith doubles over plastic stocked autoloaders, and pre-war Colt revolvers over Glocks and SIGs. One of a dying breed I suppose.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Josh -

Here in Oregon, we are only allowed one buck tag per hunter per year, so the choice of rifle / ML / bow is mutually exclusive of the others. ML is by drawing only, only a few units issue ML tags. I can get a ML deer tag about every 3rd year, otherwise I hunt the regular rifle season.

I shoot a sidelock, a TC .58 Renegade from their custom shop.

We can shoot our ML in regular rifle season if we wish. Oregon's regs for ML-only seasons remove any advantage an inline has over a side-lock. No optics, no 209 primers, no powder pellets, no sabots, etc. Those are allowed on MLs used during regular rifle season, however.

I hunt with a ML mostly for the later season. Growing up I was not near a unit that had late tags. This late ML season allows me to hunt in the snow, something I could never legally do. I really like it ... tracks in the snow and all that jazz. I also like the "vibe" of the sidelocks ... exposed hammers, etc. The particular area I focus on is hunted very little. Its pretty inhospitable in the snow ... you could die up there pretty easy. I like the elbow room.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why do you muzzleload?

'Cause it's hard to breech load a flint lock rifle. Probably answers the last question I guess.

There was a poll done awhile back, disremember who did it, but the result was that 92.4% of people using inlines were too busy to invest the time it takes to be effective with a rock lock....might have been 94.2% now that I think about it, not real sure now. frown

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes mine was a Kentucky CVA 45 cal ,Then a 50,an 54 CVA hawksen.Then about 20 or so thompsons an CVA then a pennyslavana I like that long one Then a few more thompsons the latest a 58 cal can't wait to shoot her

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Colorado Cow tags $350. That's why

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've dabbled with TC Hawken replicas a couple of times, but never have seriously tried to bag anything with one. I know where there is a reasonably priced .54 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle, which is a fairly authentic copy of the Hawken style rifles.

Getting one of them to shoot is a bit of a challenge, a bit of craft involved, so that's fun. I do like the idea of trying to bust a wild turkey with one; one of my cousins did so years ago and had relatively little meat lost. Come to think of it - spring turkey season is coming up...

And edit to add - the Hawken to me is a symbolic tool of the mountain men who first settled the West, and the mystique of their lives is still interesting. They endured great hardships, and saw much unspoiled beauty as well.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/25/11.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why? . . . Cuz.

I have shot only traditional sidelock MLs (cap and flint) since I started shooting MLs. Nothing specifically against the new synthetic in-lines, I just like the trads. I prefered recurves and longbows to wheel bows when I was doing archery, too. I wasn't lured to muzzleloaders because of extended hunting seasons, but by the history and "mystique" of shooting the older style rifles. Plus, there is nothing like the smell of spent black powder along with my coffee in the morning.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And they're nicer to look at than something with plastic.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Have you ever seen a guy act like that with a plastic and stainless steel inline? They are cold, efficient tools- no more no less, and evoke nothing in regards to our heritage.

So, what is a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 passed down from your grandfather?

A "cold, efficient tool- no more no less, (that) evoke(s) nothing in regards to our heritage?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There was a poll done awhile back, disremember who did it, but the result was that 92.4% of people using inlines were too busy to invest the time it takes to be effective with a rock lock.... (

Nah, for me it's because I'm too busy to invest the time it takes to be effective with a longbow, now there's a man's weapon.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
'cause elk in December is just right
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy the history, tradition, and challenge. When I started (1982) we didn't have a special season. The muzzle-loading rifle was just another option to use during the general season. There wasn't much information available at the time. I learned what I could from the Lyman black powder book and Walter Cline's book "The Muzzle-loading Rifle".

My attraction to it has always leaned towards the history of the Rocky Mountain fur trade and the Hawkins style rifles. I shoot 50 caliber rifles loaded with Goex black powder and patched round ball. I have a CVA mountain rifle and a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I shoot in monthly club matches and I still enjoy killing a deer with the muzzle-loader.

I have zero interest in non-traditional muzzle-loaders. I have no interest in extending my deer hunting season, it's lengthy enough here. I wouldn't consider giving up my modern scoped center-fire rifles either.

The traditional muzzle-loading rifles add an interesting aspect and a different style to my hunting season. It's just fun!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Have you ever seen a guy act like that with a plastic and stainless steel inline? They are cold, efficient tools- no more no less, and evoke nothing in regards to our heritage.

So, what is a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 passed down from your grandfather?

A "cold, efficient tool- no more no less, (that) evoke(s) nothing in regards to our heritage?

Huh? I don't remember pre-64 M70's being made in plastic and stainless steel. (Or am I missing something?) smirk Apples and oranges I fear. (By the way I do hold old 70's in high nostalgic regard, in the world of bolt guns. But that's not the topic of discussion here.) smile (Gramps never owned a rifle except a Savage .22 Model 6, and a Winchester 67. Both used for putting injured animals out of their misery. He was quite the pacifist.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/26/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i was brought up shooting black powder pistols and rifles from early age and just always loved it.So for the awnser maybe it is my blood sorta like diesel for driving truck for long time

I would say it is sorta like handloading is to the rifleman you can find the accuracy for the rifle.Just the same as we do with bp guns you work up loads and not to mention who don't get excited when you see the flame and smoke even people that don't care for guns are impressed when the see the bp go off at night

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mesabi...nice toys, congrats! I especially like that Ohio Vincent looking rifle. Just had a conversation about that very rifle with another board member.

The top rifle....gotta be English or a copy thereof, no? Nice piece!

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Apples and oranges I fear. (By the way I do hold old 70's in high nostalgic regard, in the world of bolt guns.

Well, that's a damn good answer. I like traditional rifles too, and walnut/blued in centerfires. But when I go hunting I'll usually reach for the best tool for the job. For me it's an in-line because I pack in a few miles on foot and weight matters. With centerfires it's normally a synthetic (not plastic) stock for the same reason.

I use a muzzleloader to hunt the early seasons. In Colorado, that means September, during the elk rut. There's no better time to be in the mountains.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With centerfires it's normally a synthetic (not plastic) stock for the same reason.

A hunter walks into a bar . Sets down so he can see his truck through the window .
Sitting behind him to fella�s are talking politics
Finally he gets pissed and turns are ; why don�t you liberals just go pound sand !

One of them replies ; we aren�t liberals we are progressives .! To which the hunter replies , potato , patotoooo.

The other liberal then say . Say isn�t that a plastic stock on your rifle right there in your truck
The hunter turns and say :NO!! its synthetic . To which the liberal says potato- patatooooo .

sorry smokepole , i just couldnt pass up the chance lol wink

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.