Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cap, there's a big difference in injection-molded plastic and a high-quality fiberglass stock, not only in weight but in stiffness, function, and how the rifle shoots. Plastic is, well plastic. It moves, bends, and binds on the barrel channel, in different places at different times. And you can't get epoxy to stick to it for bedding.

I have 8-10 rifles with synthetic stocks, and none of 'em are plastic.

So go peel some poh-tah-toes, fry 'em up in hog fat, and get back to me.

I like the look of wood and blued steel too. But that's aesthetics, and you know what they say about beauty.

I do get a kick out of traditional rifle shooters who think they're somehow superior to in-line shooters though. And that's not aimed at you Cap. You have some of the best-lookin' rifles around, but you manage to stay out of that trap.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
wink

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Cap, there's a big difference in injection-molded plastic and a high-quality fiberglass stock, not only in weight but in stiffness, function, and how the rifle shoots. Plastic is, well plastic. It moves, bends, and binds on the barrel channel, in different places at different times. And you can't get epoxy to stick to it for bedding.

I have 8-10 rifles with synthtic stocks, and none of 'em are plastic.

So go peel some poh-tah-toes, fry 'em up in hog fat, and get back to me.

I like the look of wood and blued steel too. But that's aesthetics, and you know what they say about beauty.

I do get a kick out of traditional rifle shooters who think they're somehow superior to in-line shooters though. And that's not aimed at you Cap. You have some of the best-lookin' rifles around, but you manage to stay out of that trap.

Hmmm.... methinks he doth protosteth too much!

Like I have said countless times before, I personally don't much care what a man chooses to shoot. I'm merely pointing out that there's more, much more, to the science of firing a projectile that has been loaded from the muzzle than merely hitting a target. It's called art, or a sense of aesthetics if you will, coupled with an abiding respect for the past.

Now don't go getting your shorts all twisted up!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, I think you're the one protesting. Or rather congratulating yourself on aesthetics, which are in the eye of the beholder. I'm just pointing out that there is much more involved with the "art" of firing a wooden arrow from a traditional bow than firing any of these new-fangled contraptions that use gunpowder, so as to lessen the jolt when you guys fall off your high horse.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I can't come up with words or reason that others haven't already said. I can only say that I purchased my T/C Hawkens back in 1986 and have shot 18+ (lost count) deer over the years.
[Linked Image]
A member on the campfire had a Hawkens for sale and purchased for a back-up. Now I have 2 of them. I named my first one Hawkeye and we have an understanding. When I aim at brown it hits the ground. Heck ! When the wife sees Hawkeye come out to play she knows enough to get the skillet ready. smile
[Linked Image]

Ken

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hmm...all I've ever hunted with when it comes to archery is either a longbow, self bow or vintage recurve...and I bought the vintage recurves before they were vintage. Arrows have always been woodies and more often than not crafted by my son or me. Never have owned one of those cam actuated arrow launching devices...they cetainly can't be called a bow. But, this is about muzzleloaders.

It's all good...but there will never be a "synthetic", (plastic or not), stocked, scoped, stainless barreled modern in-line in my safe. I don't allow them to be used on our place during muzzleloading season either. Regular rifle season, sure. That's ruffled a few feathers over the years but that's the way it is. Old style or go home. I can't control the game dept., nor do I have any desire to, but I will control what's used on my land and will adhere to the original intent of muzzleloading season. Same goes for bows.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love to use the sidehammers I'm currently having some accuricy issues with my t/c hawken 50 cal. but slowly finding things that improve the groups is part of the fun. There is almost no end of new things to try, balls or bullets, different powders, different charges, different lubs, if all else fails theres always a new barrel.
Have to dissagree with the post that said no challenge to shooting high power rifles. If one reloads the are as many new things to try as in m/loading. My 270wsm will pretty reliabley shoot sub moa groups at 100yds. The biggest challenge about that, at age 60 almost, checking to see if I can still shoot sub moa???
So far so good, wonder if I can still do that at 90, hope to get the chance to find out.
Now if I can just get the hawken to shoot 4-5in at 100 I'll be happy!!! Them of course I'll try for 2-3in at 100..........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sharps4590
I can't control the game dept., nor do I have any desire to, but I will control what's used on my land and will adhere to the original intent of muzzleloading season.

"The original intent of muzzleloading season??"

And what would that be?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
270, what are you shooting, as far as projectiles?

I always had good luck with Hornady Great Plains Bullets and 80-90 grains of Pyrodex in my Hawken.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
270, what are you shooting, as far as projectiles?

I always had good luck with Hornady Great Plains Bullets and 80-90 grains of Pyrodex in my Hawken.

250gr real bullet see my post, m/l section, new range report 50 t/c hawhen.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sharps4590
I can't control the game dept., nor do I have any desire to, but I will control what's used on my land and will adhere to the original intent of muzzleloading season.

"The original intent of muzzleloading season??"

And what would that be?

that would depend on the state you from smokepole

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Aw cap, you spoiled it. But as you said, there is no single "muzzleloading season" but a bunch of different states with a hodge-podge of regulations based on different philosophies and objectives.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As I was present at the time muzzleloading season was established in Missouri, and a dear friend of mine, since deceased, was one of the point men for the establishement I can tell you exactly what the original intent of muzzleloading season was in Missouri. To give an opportunity to those who wished to use the firearms of our predecessors a season not in competition with modern rifles. I believe the exact word used was "experience", of what hunting was like with muzzleloaders. Due to that wording and the fact that modern in-lines were exceedingly uncommon and only one or perhaps two even existed at the time there can be no mistake what the original intent was. Everyone KNEW that by "muzzleloader" it was meant a flint or percussion side lock firing a patched round ball utilizing open sights. That phrase should have been included in the regulation. As the deer herd in Missouri exploded the Dept. of Conservation started using it as management tool. Management may well have been a secondary consideration of the establishment but it was not the original intent. As modern in-lines beame more widely used and lobbied for by their builders the Dept. of Conservation let the nose of the camel in the tent. To use a worn out phrase, "the rest, as they say, is history".

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's how it happened in Maryland too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To extend my season...dats it!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In Colorado, the season is intended to give expanded recreational hunting opportunities to those who use a weapon that puts them at a disadvantage compared to centerfire rifles.

Traditionalists are pissed that in-lines are allowed, and the "no holds barred" crowd is pissed that scopes, sabots, pellets, and smokeless are not allowed. Since both ends of the spectrum are pissed, I think the DOW has it about right.

If I had to use a traditional rifle, I would. If I had to use a flintlock, I would.

But I don't and I'm glad I live in a state where I've got a choice.

The biggest advantage of an in-line over a sidelock (in Colorado during the special season) is more reliable ignition. Ignition has never been a problem for me with either kind of rifle; as far as accuracy or quickness of a follow-up shot if you need one, there's no advantage in either.

So it comes down to aesthetics, which are highly personal and not a good basis for regulating something, in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grew up in the 50s and 60s reading books about Davy Crockett, Jim Bridger, Daniel Boone, and other mountain men. When I was 9 yrs old my folks got me a Kentucky Long Rifle (cap toy which fired cork balls) with which "I went exploring" in the nearby woods. I killed many an "Indian" and "kilt" my share or "bars" with that little cap rifle. I developed a broad "Imagination" as to what it would have been like to live back in that time. As I grew older I bought a CVA .50 Cal Mountain Rifle kit and put it together and started killing deer. As someone already said, I love the smell of gun powder. Now days I still have that original kit rifle but have bought several other nice traditional Mountain rifles and Long Rifles in .32, .50, and .54. My .32 cal cap 'n ball Traditions Long Rifle is my favorite squirrel gun. I have another .32 cal cap 'n ball in a TC with a match barrel and rear peep sight I use for target shooting, along with a .50 cal TC with match barrel in flint lock. My favorite deer rifle now days is my .50 cal Pedersoli flintlock long rifle. I have no interest in the modern black powder guns, but every time I go afield with one of my traditional black powder rifles my "Imagination" carries me away to those more innocent times I enjoyed exploring and shooten' "Injuns and bars." "Imagination is a good thing!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OrangeOkie, that is a great, classic story. Lots of the same out there for sure!

That's Colorado and that's your opinion. Your "aesthetic" opinion is no defense in most other states where it is "no holds barred" and there is a decided advantage with in-lines for both sighting and ballistics.

I'm not PO'ed, I simply believe, no, I know, that in Missouri the original intent has been usurped, it is irrefutable. 90% of my hunting is on my land and in-lines aren't allowed on my land during muzzleloading season. That pretty much takes care of it for me.

Last edited by sharps4590; 02/27/11.

NRA Benefactor 2008

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 OrangeOkie! There is some romance left in the world after all. I love the darn things. Also kill a bunch of deer with them, usually 8 - 12 a year.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
90% of my hunting is on my land and in-lines aren't allowed on my land during muzzleloading season. That pretty much takes care of it for me.

you know we used to do the same thing here when we still had 1100 acres.
Now north of me , there is still some very, VERY large ranches .
Couple of those sell their tags for general season . They do a very good job of managing the game on their ranches to
They don�t allow muzzleloading unless its traditional . Same with archery . No wheel bows .

When it comes to elk . They give us tags as long as we use traditional muzzleloaders or traditional and primitive archery
If you want to hunt with anything else . Then they charge 1500-2500 for the land owner tag for that year .
Season open Aug 1 and runs through dec 31 .
When it comes to elk they also give us calls so as to tell us where the heards have been seen moving . In some cases when they are getting into the hay stacks , which stacks have been getting hit the hardest .
that�s if we tell them what mornings we will be heading out or call in to the HQ .

Last edited by captchee; 02/27/11.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,294
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.