Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

I was wanting to post a poll with this, but don't see a way to do so, so I'm just asking outright: Why do you muzzleload?

Some do it just to extend deer season. Others really get into the old designs, and even reenacting.

Myself, I got the trading itch last summer, and after some swapping around, ended up with a CVA Bobcat (sidelock with a black synthetic stock), caps, ball, and powder.

I ended up with two more sidelocks in short order, first a Kentucky Rifle replica and then a T/C New Englander.

I then taught a kid I know to shoot muzzleloaders, and he now has the Bobcat.

Got to making my own patches, made my own powder horn, and started casting my own balls.

In short order, I was quite addicted to the sidelocks shooting patched round balls, and on my best day I can plunk two of three balls through the same hole at 50 yards with open sights. The third ball only slightly elongates the hole.

Additionally, I very much appreciate the power of the round ball. Its aerodynamics suck, and for this reason it's one of the better projectiles for terminal ballistics.

Though the round ball has killed at over 500 yards in war time (especially in the hands of rifle units and sharpshooters -- I believe the record was 800 yards), for hunting, I believe 100 to 150 yards is the limit for the round ball from a rifle one knows well.

I grew up shooting slug guns, so I do not perceive this as any sort of handicap. I'm used to what rifle shooters would refer to as "close range."

On the other hand, many of my beloved, affordable sidelocks are disappearing in deference to inlines. While I have nothing against inline shooters, those rifles do not appeal to me. The proliferation of these rifles, too, tells me that more folks are buying the for hunting than for general shooting.

So, do you prefer modern muzzleloader designs, or sidelocks? Why?

Thanks,

Josh

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wow... answers to this question cover a LOT of "ground"... but here goes...

First, a friend let me shoot his percussion cap Hawken... and showed me how to load it. He got me "hooked" with the fun of shooting black powder, the wonderful aroma of burnt black powder, the allure of shooting part of history (the round, patched ball in a side-lock, black powder rifle) and the pure ENJOYMENT of holding a "piece-of-history" in my hands and shooting it.

Following that "romantic aspect" of shooting BP, I bought a commercially-made flintlock Pennsylvania Long Rifle... and learned some lessons in all the different ways a flintlock will fail to fire. Once I learned all those reasons "why"... I bought my first side-lock (percussion cap) rifle in a used, standard CVA Hawken in the same caliber (.50 caliber) as my Long Rifle.

Owning and shooting the commercially-made Pennsylvania Long Rifle made me "appreciate" the beautiful custom-made Long Rifles I saw in Friendship (Indiana) with their full "tiger" maple stocks and browned barrels, beautiful, shiny brass butt-plates and muzzle caps, trigger guards and handsome inlays... rifles I'd love to own, but can't really afford to buy... and don't have the workplace, tools, talent and expertise to build for myself.

I was surprised when I began shooting the Hawken... it SEEMED so much more simple to use and shoot. While both rifles were "accurate"... the Hawken seemed MORE accurate... or at least EASIER to shoot, to clean... and to handle since it was shorter.

Then I found and bought a percussion cap Hawken CARBINE... 6� pounds of .50 caliber rifle with a short 26" barrel which I felt would be very handy in the woods to use for hunting whitetails.

And so, now... I have three (3) "traditional" .50 caliber muzzle-loaders with double-set triggers in all three rifles.

Admittedly, I felt using a muzzleloading, black powder rifle would extend my deer hunting season plus here in Ohio, we can't use center-fire rifles, but can use muzzle-loading, black powder rifles (traditional and in-line) in place of shotguns or handguns for deer hunting.

But even if that wasn't so... I'd still find it fun & interesting in owning and shooting black powder, muzzle-loading, traditional sidelock rifles, but while my two sons use in-lines, I'm not at all interested in owning or shooting in-lines. In-lines just don't seem "traditional" and it's the "traditional" part of these muzzleloaders that interest me.

Another factor in enjoying these rifles is the low cost of shooting due to the fact you just can't shoot these rifles very fast!!! A long, pleasant afternoon of shooting might end up costing $5.00 or so... not a "big deal" even for a retired guy and his wife like us who are living on a lower, more limited income than when I was working.

What you younger fellas don't realize (and I didn't either when I was your age) is that 'most EVERY week has 6 "Saturdays" followed by a Sunday day-of-rest!!! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the extended season, the accuracy/killing power over standard rifled slugs (not the new stuff, though), the look and feel of wood and steel, the ergonomics of a rifle designed for and by, humans. Most of all, I like to be Dan'l Boone, bringin' home some supper.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
"Armed recon" for two weeks prior to firearms season, and often right in the early stages of pre-rut; great time to get a look/shot at a good buck.

Great chance to fill the freezer with a couple does before the season gets going and they start shifting patterns.

Great transition from bow season to rifle season.

It's fun.

There's NOTHING like the smell of pure black burnt on a cool morning, and that flat, rolling "BOOOOOMM" that accompanies it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Because it is a hell of a lot more fun. Modern cartridge rifles simply are not challenging.

A little history goes a long ways too.

Personally, I have no use for the modern inline, but not all "traditional" muzzleloaders are sidelocks. Indeed, the single most American style of rifle might well be the underhammer percussion rifle. About as mechanically simple as a folding pocket knife and just are reliable.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I muzzleload for more hunting time. I go both modern smokeless and blackpowder sidelock (caps) and enjoy them both.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
its basically 14 days more hunting time for me.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More time to hunt. I do think they are fun to fool with, cheap to buy, and cheap to shoot.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Josh,

I bought my first ML rifle in '93 to go on mule deer hunting in Utah during a special late season, and that is why I continue to use them. They do have their own charm though. I use both an inline .50 and a handmade reproduction .451 English Sporting Rifle.

jim

[Linked Image]

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I started fooling with them 40 years ago with an el-cheapo full stock percussion gun in .45. Made all the mistakes you can think of because I had no one to teach me, but learn I did. I've done Civil War re-enacting (with original muskets- no repros back then) and more recently Revolutionary War (as a Highlander). Artillery both times too. The underlying interest of hunting and target shooting with MLs saw me through a plethora of "civilian" arms that whole time. No re-enacting now (not many 58 year old enlisted guys back then, although I do a staff officer impression from time to time).

Here in Eastern Maryland it's shotgun only or ML for deer, so when I hunt around here it's ML, no shotgun deer hunting for me. And I use a traditional gun too, of course. My interests are pretty varied as far as guns in general are concerned but ML shooting/hunting is still a constant.

Years ago when special ML seasons were set up I took the spirit of the reason for them to heart, and still do. They were intended to give ML guys a chance to deer hunt without being crowded by all of the "civilians" during the regular season- much the same reason why there is an archery season too. Now, the DNR views the ML season as just another tool for deer herd management which prompted them to ok the use of inlines. Now the woods are full of guys, mostly toting inlines, shooting the hell out of stuff and the ambience of doing it the "old way" is gone. I guess that is what lies at the heart of my dislike for inlines. That and the fact that a lot of them are way more powerful than a .30/30 but are legal around here for deer, but the .30/30 isn't. Doesn't make sense. Small wonder that I go further afield where rifles are legal.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The fun of actually hunting.
A friend and I chased a nice WT buck last January with our flintlocks. We never got a shot and hardly got a glimpse of the old boy. He spent most days in a cedar patch surrounded by sandhills. I could have sneaked up a nearby hill with my 7mm Mag and spotting scope and waited for him to give me a shot - probably could have killed him that way. But, I would have cheated my buddy and me out of a lot of fun planning sneaks and strategy. None of our planning worked but I came close enough that I heard him move around and I could actually hear him take a leak and could smell the urine. I would rather have the memories of trying to outwit that deer than a few pictures and some venison.
Just my thoughts and worth exactly what you paid for them.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here in CO,it gives me two elk seasons for areas where two tags are available.So I draw for ML seaosn cow and then do an OTC later.
I have never felt underguned,nor distance limited with a ML. Very seldom have I ever needed two shots on an elk.

The weather is niceer, better for these old bones,but there is more of a chance of rain.I'd rather hunt in snow than rain,and I don't go out if it is raining.
Big problem is at that time of year,early Sept, there is a lot more daylight left at the end of me.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Its puts me back in time ,also there were not many hunter in the 60 -70 muzzleloaders ,mostley tiral an error back then. Now I just listen to what all seams to think know an smile a little

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gnoahhh, you could have written my reply, almost, including the age.

I started shooting muzzleloaders 36 years ago, as with gnoahh, with a cheap Kentucky cap lock in 45 cal. I'd bet we made all the same mistakes and for the same reason, no mentor. But learn we did, and learn well. I hunted with them from the beginning. The love of squirrel hunting led to a 36 cal. TC Seneca that was soon traded for a Southern Mountain flintlock. I still hunt squirrels with a 36 cal, Southern Mountain flintlock but not the same one. As things got better for us so did the quality of my rifles.

I did the Mountain Man thing for near 30 years then about 7 years ago got into the Long Hunter scene and that evolved into reenacting my home area, Missouri Ozarks, from about 1800. Along with a couple like minded friends we do a half dozen seminars/demonstrations every year for various groups of kids from elementary school age through high school.

I shoot rifles and smoothbores from the pre-Revolution period to the end of the rondesvous period, all but two are flintlocks.

Used to be muzzleloading season was a wonderful time to be in the woods. You knew anyone you ran into was going to be of a similar ken. The woods were quiet, deer largely undisturbed, the occasional flat boom of another muzzleloader far away was almost pleasant and you hoped another hunter such as yourself put his round ball in the right spot. Lots of guys set up primitive camps and hunters really tried to emulate our forebears and actually learn, as much as is possible, how things were "back in the day". As gnoahhh said, the spirit of muzzleloading seasons as established. As with many things I guess those times are gone for good. These days there isn't much difference between muzzleloading season and regular rifle season. If you set up a primitive camp on public ground the ambiance of the old days is soon lost unless you get "way back in there". Even then a camo clad hunter toting a scoped in-line, range finder, cover scents and a half dozen other high-tech toys will clomp into your camp, (making enough noise to raise the dead), and proceed to tell you how much better his $99.00 plastic in-line is than your custom made $1500.00 American longrifle, that there's no way you can kill a deer with that rifle, dressed in those clothes, how miserable your camp is and how he's covered "at least 15 miles", since sun-up and there ain't no deer around. Sure ain't none around him.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
for me its the added challange , knowlage and history .. i also find i enjoy the slower pace

here it doesnt give you more hunting time as we only get 1 tag .
so really if one was hunting to fill the freezer . you could be completely don by the first week in September
also if your note smart about what you apply for , you may actualy find yourself with only a few days over months

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My first ML was a T/C kit gun in .50. The early kits had barrels in the white that had to be filed smooth and browned. We cast out own maxi-balls and shot 3-F black Goex in them.

They were cheap to shoot. Conddidering the lack of shotgun slug
accuracy at the time the sidelocks from T/C were like sharps rifles even at 50 yards.

I still have the kit rifle but don't shoot it much anymore, I still lift in off the deer foot gun rack it sits in and look down the sights and recall the hunts it has scored on.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
"Armed recon" for two weeks prior to firearms season, and often right in the early stages of pre-rut; great time to get a look/shot at a good buck.

Great chance to fill the freezer with a couple does before the season gets going and they start shifting patterns.

Great transition from bow season to rifle season.

It's fun.

There's NOTHING like the smell of pure black burnt on a cool morning, and that flat, rolling "BOOOOOMM" that accompanies it.

Well said

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I swore I'd never ML but, after I shot one, I realized how fun they were to shoot so I thought I'd give it a try.

That being said, I personally wouldn't mess with one if it weren't for the month long December statewide ML season here in NE. It get's pretty nippy here in December and I have a hard time putting in the time I like to when bowhunting so ML is really the next best thing IMO.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Setting up in your bow stands makes you realize what an advancement the firearm was! Slam dunk!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'cuz they're so much FUN!!! I even carry one of my flinters frequently during regular BG season when we can use nearly anything that goes "BANG"!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hmmmmmmmmm...

It seems as if we have a fine gathering of "poets" in this forum.

Your words and deeds... and your love of a quiet woods and traditional muzzle-loading rifles sparks a great desire in the hearts of those of us who have read your words.

There's a true kinship in the kindred spirit shared by us all who truly love the aroma of black powder smoke and the feel of the thrust of a good ramrod as it seats a round, patched ball down on black powder.

I thank each of you fine gentlemen for your vivid descriptions of those things we all hold so dear and covet so much... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunt with traditional caplock rifles, mostly in .54 caliber for deer. I also use black powder and patched round balls. I'm not interested in an inline muzzleloader of any sort. That is just my personal preference. I really enjoy using the type of equipment I've chosen.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Hmmmmmmmmm...

It seems as if we have a fine gathering of "poets" in this forum.

Your words and deeds... and your love of a quiet woods and traditional muzzle-loading rifles sparks a great desire in the hearts of those of us who have read your words.

There's a true kinship in the kindred spirit shared by us all who truly love the aroma of black powder smoke and the feel of the thrust of a good ramrod as it seats a round, patched ball down on black powder.

I thank each of you fine gentlemen for your vivid descriptions of those things we all hold so dear and covet so much... smile

What (?)sane man WOULDN'T have a ball wandering around the forests with set-ups like these??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it can be summed up very simply: Traditional shooters wax poetic as they lovingly caress their muzzle loaders. Have you ever seen a guy act like that with a plastic and stainless steel inline? They are cold, efficient tools- no more no less, and evoke nothing in regards to our heritage.

(That probably also explains why I like pre-war Savage 99's and Mauser sporters over plastic and stainless modern whiz-bangs, L.C.Smith doubles over plastic stocked autoloaders, and pre-war Colt revolvers over Glocks and SIGs. One of a dying breed I suppose.)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Josh -

Here in Oregon, we are only allowed one buck tag per hunter per year, so the choice of rifle / ML / bow is mutually exclusive of the others. ML is by drawing only, only a few units issue ML tags. I can get a ML deer tag about every 3rd year, otherwise I hunt the regular rifle season.

I shoot a sidelock, a TC .58 Renegade from their custom shop.

We can shoot our ML in regular rifle season if we wish. Oregon's regs for ML-only seasons remove any advantage an inline has over a side-lock. No optics, no 209 primers, no powder pellets, no sabots, etc. Those are allowed on MLs used during regular rifle season, however.

I hunt with a ML mostly for the later season. Growing up I was not near a unit that had late tags. This late ML season allows me to hunt in the snow, something I could never legally do. I really like it ... tracks in the snow and all that jazz. I also like the "vibe" of the sidelocks ... exposed hammers, etc. The particular area I focus on is hunted very little. Its pretty inhospitable in the snow ... you could die up there pretty easy. I like the elbow room.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why do you muzzleload?

'Cause it's hard to breech load a flint lock rifle. Probably answers the last question I guess.

There was a poll done awhile back, disremember who did it, but the result was that 92.4% of people using inlines were too busy to invest the time it takes to be effective with a rock lock....might have been 94.2% now that I think about it, not real sure now. frown

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes mine was a Kentucky CVA 45 cal ,Then a 50,an 54 CVA hawksen.Then about 20 or so thompsons an CVA then a pennyslavana I like that long one Then a few more thompsons the latest a 58 cal can't wait to shoot her

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Colorado Cow tags $350. That's why

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've dabbled with TC Hawken replicas a couple of times, but never have seriously tried to bag anything with one. I know where there is a reasonably priced .54 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle, which is a fairly authentic copy of the Hawken style rifles.

Getting one of them to shoot is a bit of a challenge, a bit of craft involved, so that's fun. I do like the idea of trying to bust a wild turkey with one; one of my cousins did so years ago and had relatively little meat lost. Come to think of it - spring turkey season is coming up...

And edit to add - the Hawken to me is a symbolic tool of the mountain men who first settled the West, and the mystique of their lives is still interesting. They endured great hardships, and saw much unspoiled beauty as well.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/25/11.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why? . . . Cuz.

I have shot only traditional sidelock MLs (cap and flint) since I started shooting MLs. Nothing specifically against the new synthetic in-lines, I just like the trads. I prefered recurves and longbows to wheel bows when I was doing archery, too. I wasn't lured to muzzleloaders because of extended hunting seasons, but by the history and "mystique" of shooting the older style rifles. Plus, there is nothing like the smell of spent black powder along with my coffee in the morning.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And they're nicer to look at than something with plastic.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Have you ever seen a guy act like that with a plastic and stainless steel inline? They are cold, efficient tools- no more no less, and evoke nothing in regards to our heritage.

So, what is a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 passed down from your grandfather?

A "cold, efficient tool- no more no less, (that) evoke(s) nothing in regards to our heritage?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There was a poll done awhile back, disremember who did it, but the result was that 92.4% of people using inlines were too busy to invest the time it takes to be effective with a rock lock.... (

Nah, for me it's because I'm too busy to invest the time it takes to be effective with a longbow, now there's a man's weapon.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
'cause elk in December is just right
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy the history, tradition, and challenge. When I started (1982) we didn't have a special season. The muzzle-loading rifle was just another option to use during the general season. There wasn't much information available at the time. I learned what I could from the Lyman black powder book and Walter Cline's book "The Muzzle-loading Rifle".

My attraction to it has always leaned towards the history of the Rocky Mountain fur trade and the Hawkins style rifles. I shoot 50 caliber rifles loaded with Goex black powder and patched round ball. I have a CVA mountain rifle and a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I shoot in monthly club matches and I still enjoy killing a deer with the muzzle-loader.

I have zero interest in non-traditional muzzle-loaders. I have no interest in extending my deer hunting season, it's lengthy enough here. I wouldn't consider giving up my modern scoped center-fire rifles either.

The traditional muzzle-loading rifles add an interesting aspect and a different style to my hunting season. It's just fun!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Have you ever seen a guy act like that with a plastic and stainless steel inline? They are cold, efficient tools- no more no less, and evoke nothing in regards to our heritage.

So, what is a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 passed down from your grandfather?

A "cold, efficient tool- no more no less, (that) evoke(s) nothing in regards to our heritage?

Huh? I don't remember pre-64 M70's being made in plastic and stainless steel. (Or am I missing something?) smirk Apples and oranges I fear. (By the way I do hold old 70's in high nostalgic regard, in the world of bolt guns. But that's not the topic of discussion here.) smile (Gramps never owned a rifle except a Savage .22 Model 6, and a Winchester 67. Both used for putting injured animals out of their misery. He was quite the pacifist.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/26/11.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i was brought up shooting black powder pistols and rifles from early age and just always loved it.So for the awnser maybe it is my blood sorta like diesel for driving truck for long time

I would say it is sorta like handloading is to the rifleman you can find the accuracy for the rifle.Just the same as we do with bp guns you work up loads and not to mention who don't get excited when you see the flame and smoke even people that don't care for guns are impressed when the see the bp go off at night

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mesabi...nice toys, congrats! I especially like that Ohio Vincent looking rifle. Just had a conversation about that very rifle with another board member.

The top rifle....gotta be English or a copy thereof, no? Nice piece!

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Apples and oranges I fear. (By the way I do hold old 70's in high nostalgic regard, in the world of bolt guns.

Well, that's a damn good answer. I like traditional rifles too, and walnut/blued in centerfires. But when I go hunting I'll usually reach for the best tool for the job. For me it's an in-line because I pack in a few miles on foot and weight matters. With centerfires it's normally a synthetic (not plastic) stock for the same reason.

I use a muzzleloader to hunt the early seasons. In Colorado, that means September, during the elk rut. There's no better time to be in the mountains.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With centerfires it's normally a synthetic (not plastic) stock for the same reason.

A hunter walks into a bar . Sets down so he can see his truck through the window .
Sitting behind him to fella�s are talking politics
Finally he gets pissed and turns are ; why don�t you liberals just go pound sand !

One of them replies ; we aren�t liberals we are progressives .! To which the hunter replies , potato , patotoooo.

The other liberal then say . Say isn�t that a plastic stock on your rifle right there in your truck
The hunter turns and say :NO!! its synthetic . To which the liberal says potato- patatooooo .

sorry smokepole , i just couldnt pass up the chance lol wink

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cap, there's a big difference in injection-molded plastic and a high-quality fiberglass stock, not only in weight but in stiffness, function, and how the rifle shoots. Plastic is, well plastic. It moves, bends, and binds on the barrel channel, in different places at different times. And you can't get epoxy to stick to it for bedding.

I have 8-10 rifles with synthetic stocks, and none of 'em are plastic.

So go peel some poh-tah-toes, fry 'em up in hog fat, and get back to me.

I like the look of wood and blued steel too. But that's aesthetics, and you know what they say about beauty.

I do get a kick out of traditional rifle shooters who think they're somehow superior to in-line shooters though. And that's not aimed at you Cap. You have some of the best-lookin' rifles around, but you manage to stay out of that trap.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
wink

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cap, there's a big difference in injection-molded plastic and a high-quality fiberglass stock, not only in weight but in stiffness, function, and how the rifle shoots. Plastic is, well plastic. It moves, bends, and binds on the barrel channel, in different places at different times. And you can't get epoxy to stick to it for bedding.

I have 8-10 rifles with synthtic stocks, and none of 'em are plastic.

So go peel some poh-tah-toes, fry 'em up in hog fat, and get back to me.

I like the look of wood and blued steel too. But that's aesthetics, and you know what they say about beauty.

I do get a kick out of traditional rifle shooters who think they're somehow superior to in-line shooters though. And that's not aimed at you Cap. You have some of the best-lookin' rifles around, but you manage to stay out of that trap.

Hmmm.... methinks he doth protosteth too much!

Like I have said countless times before, I personally don't much care what a man chooses to shoot. I'm merely pointing out that there's more, much more, to the science of firing a projectile that has been loaded from the muzzle than merely hitting a target. It's called art, or a sense of aesthetics if you will, coupled with an abiding respect for the past.

Now don't go getting your shorts all twisted up!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, I think you're the one protesting. Or rather congratulating yourself on aesthetics, which are in the eye of the beholder. I'm just pointing out that there is much more involved with the "art" of firing a wooden arrow from a traditional bow than firing any of these new-fangled contraptions that use gunpowder, so as to lessen the jolt when you guys fall off your high horse.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I can't come up with words or reason that others haven't already said. I can only say that I purchased my T/C Hawkens back in 1986 and have shot 18+ (lost count) deer over the years.
[Linked Image]
A member on the campfire had a Hawkens for sale and purchased for a back-up. Now I have 2 of them. I named my first one Hawkeye and we have an understanding. When I aim at brown it hits the ground. Heck ! When the wife sees Hawkeye come out to play she knows enough to get the skillet ready. smile
[Linked Image]

Ken

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hmm...all I've ever hunted with when it comes to archery is either a longbow, self bow or vintage recurve...and I bought the vintage recurves before they were vintage. Arrows have always been woodies and more often than not crafted by my son or me. Never have owned one of those cam actuated arrow launching devices...they cetainly can't be called a bow. But, this is about muzzleloaders.

It's all good...but there will never be a "synthetic", (plastic or not), stocked, scoped, stainless barreled modern in-line in my safe. I don't allow them to be used on our place during muzzleloading season either. Regular rifle season, sure. That's ruffled a few feathers over the years but that's the way it is. Old style or go home. I can't control the game dept., nor do I have any desire to, but I will control what's used on my land and will adhere to the original intent of muzzleloading season. Same goes for bows.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love to use the sidehammers I'm currently having some accuricy issues with my t/c hawken 50 cal. but slowly finding things that improve the groups is part of the fun. There is almost no end of new things to try, balls or bullets, different powders, different charges, different lubs, if all else fails theres always a new barrel.
Have to dissagree with the post that said no challenge to shooting high power rifles. If one reloads the are as many new things to try as in m/loading. My 270wsm will pretty reliabley shoot sub moa groups at 100yds. The biggest challenge about that, at age 60 almost, checking to see if I can still shoot sub moa???
So far so good, wonder if I can still do that at 90, hope to get the chance to find out.
Now if I can just get the hawken to shoot 4-5in at 100 I'll be happy!!! Them of course I'll try for 2-3in at 100..........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sharps4590
I can't control the game dept., nor do I have any desire to, but I will control what's used on my land and will adhere to the original intent of muzzleloading season.

"The original intent of muzzleloading season??"

And what would that be?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
270, what are you shooting, as far as projectiles?

I always had good luck with Hornady Great Plains Bullets and 80-90 grains of Pyrodex in my Hawken.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
270, what are you shooting, as far as projectiles?

I always had good luck with Hornady Great Plains Bullets and 80-90 grains of Pyrodex in my Hawken.

250gr real bullet see my post, m/l section, new range report 50 t/c hawhen.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can't control the game dept., nor do I have any desire to, but I will control what's used on my land and will adhere to the original intent of muzzleloading season.

"The original intent of muzzleloading season??"

And what would that be?

that would depend on the state you from smokepole

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Aw cap, you spoiled it. But as you said, there is no single "muzzleloading season" but a bunch of different states with a hodge-podge of regulations based on different philosophies and objectives.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As I was present at the time muzzleloading season was established in Missouri, and a dear friend of mine, since deceased, was one of the point men for the establishement I can tell you exactly what the original intent of muzzleloading season was in Missouri. To give an opportunity to those who wished to use the firearms of our predecessors a season not in competition with modern rifles. I believe the exact word used was "experience", of what hunting was like with muzzleloaders. Due to that wording and the fact that modern in-lines were exceedingly uncommon and only one or perhaps two even existed at the time there can be no mistake what the original intent was. Everyone KNEW that by "muzzleloader" it was meant a flint or percussion side lock firing a patched round ball utilizing open sights. That phrase should have been included in the regulation. As the deer herd in Missouri exploded the Dept. of Conservation started using it as management tool. Management may well have been a secondary consideration of the establishment but it was not the original intent. As modern in-lines beame more widely used and lobbied for by their builders the Dept. of Conservation let the nose of the camel in the tent. To use a worn out phrase, "the rest, as they say, is history".

NRA Benefactor 2008

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's how it happened in Maryland too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To extend my season...dats it!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In Colorado, the season is intended to give expanded recreational hunting opportunities to those who use a weapon that puts them at a disadvantage compared to centerfire rifles.

Traditionalists are pissed that in-lines are allowed, and the "no holds barred" crowd is pissed that scopes, sabots, pellets, and smokeless are not allowed. Since both ends of the spectrum are pissed, I think the DOW has it about right.

If I had to use a traditional rifle, I would. If I had to use a flintlock, I would.

But I don't and I'm glad I live in a state where I've got a choice.

The biggest advantage of an in-line over a sidelock (in Colorado during the special season) is more reliable ignition. Ignition has never been a problem for me with either kind of rifle; as far as accuracy or quickness of a follow-up shot if you need one, there's no advantage in either.

So it comes down to aesthetics, which are highly personal and not a good basis for regulating something, in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grew up in the 50s and 60s reading books about Davy Crockett, Jim Bridger, Daniel Boone, and other mountain men. When I was 9 yrs old my folks got me a Kentucky Long Rifle (cap toy which fired cork balls) with which "I went exploring" in the nearby woods. I killed many an "Indian" and "kilt" my share or "bars" with that little cap rifle. I developed a broad "Imagination" as to what it would have been like to live back in that time. As I grew older I bought a CVA .50 Cal Mountain Rifle kit and put it together and started killing deer. As someone already said, I love the smell of gun powder. Now days I still have that original kit rifle but have bought several other nice traditional Mountain rifles and Long Rifles in .32, .50, and .54. My .32 cal cap 'n ball Traditions Long Rifle is my favorite squirrel gun. I have another .32 cal cap 'n ball in a TC with a match barrel and rear peep sight I use for target shooting, along with a .50 cal TC with match barrel in flint lock. My favorite deer rifle now days is my .50 cal Pedersoli flintlock long rifle. I have no interest in the modern black powder guns, but every time I go afield with one of my traditional black powder rifles my "Imagination" carries me away to those more innocent times I enjoyed exploring and shooten' "Injuns and bars." "Imagination is a good thing!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OrangeOkie, that is a great, classic story. Lots of the same out there for sure!

That's Colorado and that's your opinion. Your "aesthetic" opinion is no defense in most other states where it is "no holds barred" and there is a decided advantage with in-lines for both sighting and ballistics.

I'm not PO'ed, I simply believe, no, I know, that in Missouri the original intent has been usurped, it is irrefutable. 90% of my hunting is on my land and in-lines aren't allowed on my land during muzzleloading season. That pretty much takes care of it for me.

Last edited by sharps4590; 02/27/11.

NRA Benefactor 2008

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 OrangeOkie! There is some romance left in the world after all. I love the darn things. Also kill a bunch of deer with them, usually 8 - 12 a year.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
90% of my hunting is on my land and in-lines aren't allowed on my land during muzzleloading season. That pretty much takes care of it for me.

you know we used to do the same thing here when we still had 1100 acres.
Now north of me , there is still some very, VERY large ranches .
Couple of those sell their tags for general season . They do a very good job of managing the game on their ranches to
They don�t allow muzzleloading unless its traditional . Same with archery . No wheel bows .

When it comes to elk . They give us tags as long as we use traditional muzzleloaders or traditional and primitive archery
If you want to hunt with anything else . Then they charge 1500-2500 for the land owner tag for that year .
Season open Aug 1 and runs through dec 31 .
When it comes to elk they also give us calls so as to tell us where the heards have been seen moving . In some cases when they are getting into the hay stacks , which stacks have been getting hit the hardest .
that�s if we tell them what mornings we will be heading out or call in to the HQ .

Last edited by captchee; 02/27/11.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
By the way Doc White of White Rifles fame wrote about a Swiss inventor named Pauley who developed an inline caplock in 1812 in London and was selling them there. Doc has built several ML rifles with the Pauley "action".

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim . Most of doc�s rifle don�t use the Perdy or Pauley ignition . He just makes them look that way .
Though he has made a couple that were correct and functionable . one of which I shot some years back at an event he and I were competing in with Crieg Kirkland .

Also it should be noted that inline ignition systems date very early . Some pre 1700 and thus flintlock . But for the most part those have little to do with today�s ignitions or designs. Of which those Doc made were the closest , actualy marketed, to some of the original late designs both working and cosmetic .
But sadly even white muzzleloaders have fallen to the more modern designs

Last edited by captchee; 02/27/11.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For those who have taken the time to learn about muzzleloading history I doubt any are unaware of the early flint and percussion in-lines. They were very few, never popular and evidently not considered practical and to my knowledge only extant on the Continent. And, vastly different from in-lines of today.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I run a muzzleloader for the sole purpose of extending my hunting season by 10 days. Though I would love to play with the traditional stuff, my body count isn't high enough yet to ditch the scoped inlines. Same reason why I finally bought a bow. It is a Hoyt compound. I would like to play with longbows and make my own bow, I want to up my hunting ability first before worrying about doing it the old fashioned way. Then again, I am probably a few years younger than the brunt of the guys who post on this forum, so my hunting philosophy is a bit different than most.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
another reason to be in the woods

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
that also depends on what a persons definition of inline is .
The early flints were pretty much as you say .
But there were yet others like the Hall rifles which were popular and produce in very large numbers .and produced in both flint and percussion models . Mind you those large numbers were far in excess of the small , possibly 300 a year of the Hawkens brothers
Off the top of my head I want to say total production was some 30,000 , Hall rifles in the same 1820-1840 time frame. Well before the mass production surrounding the civil war production runs .
. In fact it�s the only rifle to be converted from muzzle loading to cartridge and then converted back during a time of war .

Also remember if we are just talking about the ignition itself . Then those numbers grow even larger especially if we include hand guns
Less we forget the colt is an inline ignition
But as you say . Most of those designs only have a lose comparison to today�s models .
However the facts of the mater still cannot be changed . while they do appear to have been troublesome and costly ,they did exist just as did early cartridge applications .

speaking from memory here as it would take me some time to go through my boocks and find the actual name , discussion of this but . I have also read documentation surrounding a larger primer which was very much like the 209 . But not water proof . In fact if I recall , its recorded in the writings of discussions with the masters gun makers of the liege .
While these were somewhat different the late 19th century Boxer and Bearden primers.
The did exist but as I really mostly delineated to artillery pieces as it was thought that such a large primer would mover the charge off the breech during ignition .

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I actually fired an original Hall breechloader. An old friend had a half dozen of them in his collection, both flint and percussion. A good idea but way ahead of it's time. We fired the tightest one he had (a cap gun) and it spit out of every nook and cranny. It was very accurate though as I recall. (It was never a ML gun converted to breech loading. It was a fresh design, produced at the Harper's Ferry Arsenal. I can't dispute that some were converted to ML (never say never) but I never heard or read of it. Growing up within spitting distance of Harper's Ferry and Sharpsburg you can imagine the amount of U.S. Martial ML lore I've been exposed to, and the number of guys I knew who collected this stuff in a very serious way. I can remember seeing Hall rifles in local antique shops priced at just a couple hundred dollars- within the last 20 years.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I actually fired an original Hall breechloader. An old friend had a half dozen of them in his collection, both flint and percussion. A good idea but way ahead of it's time. We fired the tightest one he had (a cap gun) and it spit out of every nook and cranny. It was very accurate though as I recall. (It was never a ML gun converted to breech loading. It was a fresh design, produced at the Harper's Ferry Arsenal. I can't dispute that some were converted to ML (never say never) but I never heard or read of it. Growing up within spitting distance of Harper's Ferry and Sharpsburg you can imagine the amount of U.S. Martial ML lore I've been exposed to, and the number of guys I knew who collected this stuff in a very serious way. I can remember seeing Hall rifles in local antique shops priced at just a couple hundred dollars- within the last 20 years.

the Hall rifle can be both breech loaded , if you want to call it that but its not breech loading in the since of breech loaders today. its actually a breech block . Even though it is classified as a breech loader. In fact one can remove the breech section from the stock and fire it just as a muzzle loading pistol
it also can be loaded as a muzzleloader without opening the action . this was one of the + to the design as it didn�t require changes to the standard infantry loading procedures

As to converted

Pope , the forgotten rifles .
As such do to the lack of available parts the confederate held model 1819 Hall rifles to this day , hold the distinction of the only firearm to be converted from breech loading to muzzle loading during a time of war

Murphy
Confederate Rifles and muskets .
Model 1819 hall U.S. breech -loading flintlock rifle
Made by HFA under John Hall patent c. 1817, 1819,1823-24 and 1827-40
52 cal . Rifling extended to within 1 � � of the muzzle to allow muzzle loading when necessary .
Earliest production of the hall rifles was in Portland Maine . Hall is known to have supplied 100 of his improved flintlock rifles to the us government in 1817. No known example exists today . However it is thought that they were very similar to his sporting model then being produced in Yarmouth and Portland Maine.
His patented design became the first breech loading military arm in large quantities and adopted as regulation weapon nationally

Numerous variations appear
a large number of these are in southern arsenals at the out break of the civil war and were altered by confederate states to percussion..

The Hall model 1819 also bears the distinction of being the only gun presented by Act of Congress of the U.S. in lieu of a medal or other citation for gallantry in battle .
15 hall rifles , all of them 1824 production , were awarded to Americans who , ten years earlier, during the war of 1812, as school boys mostly 15 years of age , had volunteered and were accepted into service with the U.S. forces during the siege of Plattsburgh, NY, in 1814. They preformed heroically in the defense of a bridge against advancing British troops

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
good morning all .
sorry i had to run when i made the last post .

so ill try and finish .

So as was shown above . Not all Hall rifles were made at HFA.
Also while the earlier Hall rifles were flintlock . The l 1833, 1836 , 1840 type 1 and 2 1842, 1843 hall-North , were all percussion guns

Let me also exsplain something I said
In fact it�s the only rifle to be converted from muzzle loading to cartridge and then converted back during a time of war .

Im not sure we could today yet pin down what rifle was the first to go from muzzleloader to breech loader , to cartridge and back to muzzleloader .
The reason being , by the end of the civil war , the confederates were trying to field as many rifles as possible .
Many of these has started life as muzzleloaders then were converted to breechloader . There were a whole lot of different people offering conversions but the most commonly know was the Linder and Merrill alterations .
Then out came the next conversions to cartridge. Both Springfield and harpers ferry were doing this to early muskets many of which were 1816 -1841 models�

Now why is this important . Well because if one even casually looks you see that the Hall design was the key to that evolution.
If you go back even farther . We see that what Hall actually did was build on the very old Breech block application which had been used Very early in artillery and in some case Gunne�s. in yet other cases that breech block . well its a cartradge .

Now this is where it gets kind of tricky concerning the Hall rifles .
See as time goes on and more and more information is found . Things change .
Not so long ago some of the J.B Barrett rifles were given their own distinct production
However we now know that at least some of these , were not Barrett rifles at all. Instead they were Hall rifles that Barrett converted and then put his name on
Madus writes :
Formerly believed to have been the work of J,B Barrett of Wytheville , Virginia (whose foundry did fill C.S. contract for converting and altering civilian and military arms for government service ), these arms are recently identified as made for the state of Virginia and their forces from standard issue model 1819 rifles and various Hall Carbines already in the Virginia Militia inventories and not from parts captured at Harpers Ferry , as previously believed

So maybe POPE did know what he was talking about , because here we have yet another conversion happening to the Hall rifles .

So where am I going with all this .
Well while it doesn�t tie into the main topic here . It ties into what some folks believe and or have said .
See history is a strange thing . It gets even stranger when you define it down to American history . The reason is that we have a tendency to pick and chose the history we want to believe then define our choices as fact .
When in fact the truth is that there was a whole lot going on and what we want to believe isn�t always so cut and dried .

The fact is that from day one of firearms evalution , muzzle loading , breech loading and even cartridge evolution all were taking place at the very same times . not just in the 19 century as many would believe or have you believe .
Thus in many cases what we think as common really isn�t as common as we would like to think .

In this case we have the Hall Rifles which were produce in far greater numbers then Hawkens rifles . Which in fact were produced in far , FAR, lesser numbers then the Hennery , derringer and Leman . Even though they all were being produce at the very same time . Yet somehow we have grasp onto the Hawken rifle as being the weapon of choice . When in fact by the Hawkens own documentation , that could never have been the case do to shear numbers of firearms being manufactured in theta timefraim .
So we continue to bastardize and not give credit where credit is do . We continually try and proclaim something is the same when in fact it may or may not be .

Today most modern inline ignition designs have very little to nothing in common with original inline ignition designs . Simply put they have evolved to have far more in common with cartridge designs then the efficiency and reliability of the muzzle loading forerunners .
but We also have to realize that those cartridge designs , also had their applications in the evolution of the firearms as such we can some parts directly back to earlier designs and many times muzzle loading designs .

Same thing can be said about some mass produced traditional designs , which we all accept as traditional . While they are side locks and such what we chose to describe them as is all to often not even close . Do they function the same . Yes . But in some cases just like some of Doc whites Pauley replicas , its purely cosmetic .

Anyway . This is to long and I find myself writing a book that probably very few will understand .
Be safe and have a very good day

Last edited by captchee; 03/01/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cap,what you HAVE done is expand knowledge and some understanding,which the Campfire does with some verve!!! Where else could we go to get into insane political arguments and call each other names yet at the same rendezvous, get to see the type of input like you just gave us. Anytime you wanna do this, I am rivetted. Thanx Cap.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well said cap....well said.

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Josh,

I've been shooting modern MZ's for quite some time now. I really dig a removable plug and easy cleaning. Our season here starts the very next day that rifle season closes so all I need to do is swap out the tags, grab a different rifle and the beat goes on!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's Colorado and that's your opinion....... 90% of my hunting is on my land and in-lines aren't allowed on my land during muzzleloading season.

Well, not exactly. By that I mean it's not only my opinion, but also the opinion of the Colorado DOW, the Colorado State Muzzle Loaders Association, and the NMLRA, the latter two of course being oriented toward traditional rifles. When I interviewed representatives of all three organizations back in 2003 on this very subject, they were all of the opinion that an in-line rifle holds no significant advantage over a traditional rifle, excluding scopes, sabots, pellets, and smokeless. Which are all illegal in Colorado.

And as far as what you do on your own private property, that's really no one's business but your own.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the one shot, being able to hunt in mountains just as the leaves and weather start to change. Muzzleloading is a lot of fun with all the products out there that allow you to try new things just for the heck of it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like looks I get from other hunters. You see here there is no muzzleloader season you are in general rifle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kawi
I like looks I get from other hunters. You see here there is no muzzleloader season you are in general rifle.

Ha, I like the looks I get from other hunters when I'm packing out a full load of meat on my back. Especially guys half my age.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It is refreshing not to have to trim brass and all the assorted chores.
I like to just pour powder and ram down the ball!
I got a mold with the gun that I bought used at a gun show.
I killed a deer with a 54 caliber Renegade with a Maxi Ball that I cast myself. Good Times!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is something wrong with that. I too own a 54 cal. Renegade.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
because it gives me 7 more days of deer hunting!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gives me time in the woods. Usually with some snow on the ground. And hardly another soul ever seen.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot of factors in play for me. I shoot a very basic .54 cal CVA Hawkins. I've been carrying that rifle for well over 20 years now. I like the heft of it, as it's not a light weight gun. It just feels "right" somehow. I've always been impressed with the consistent accuracy of the gun. I worked on loads for the first several failed attempts, and now it's to the point that I know if I miss a shot, it's pilot error, and not an equipment issue.

When I carry the Hawkins, I feel like I'm getting back a little closer to the roots of what hunting was like in a bygone era. You have to think much more about getting into a good shooting position with the ML than you do with a center fire. Shots need to be more calculated. You can't just jam it through whatever shooting situation presents it's self and hope for the best. You've got one shot, and you absolutely must make it count.

It's cheap and fun to shoot. I don't even mind the cleaning-to me the hot soapy water at the day's end is just part of the fun. I like the looks I get when folks see me with that big gun. I've tried the in-lines, and while they are incredibly easy to use, for me, it's just not the same. If anything, I want to hang up my percussion gun and get a nice flinter. I've shot them many times, and it truly is a whole different game. The guys that can make their flinters hum are damned good riflemen in my book.

Last edited by gophergunner; 03/05/11.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
To quote Kipling, "East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet." Such is the same when it comes to dedicatees of in-lines v. traditionals. The two are technically the same but fundamentally different. I suspect the differences between the two speak to basic differences in the personalities of those who use them.

Perhaps what the campfire needs is two muzzle loading forums.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I suspect the differences between the two speak to basic differences in the personalities of those who use them.

Really? How so? Is a guy who appreciates both schizophrenic?

Edited to add: Seriously though, your contention above implies a consistency of "personality types" within both groups, which is an interesting observation. I haven't seen it myself, but then again, most of the guys I know who shoot muzzleloaders are not strict traditionalists.

Last edited by smokepole; 03/06/11.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was referring to guys dedicated to one or the other, and who defend that dedication vociferously.

Guys who swing both ways I guess are perhaps a horse of a different color! smile

Bottom line: it's all good. I think those of us who harbor opposing viewpoints on this subject on a forum like this would get along fine in person, on a rifle range doing what we love, or in unity against the forces that would strip us of that right.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really? How so? Is a guy who appreciates both schizophrenic?

No, just means he goes both ways. laugh

Guys who swing both ways I guess are perhaps a horse of a different color!

I figure they might wear pink boots but otherwise look like any ordinary guy.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/06/11.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is interesting how many homo references you get here when talking about guns....

Bottom line: it's all good. I think those of us who harbor opposing viewpoints on this subject on a forum like this would get along fine in person, on a rifle range doing what we love, or in unity against the forces that would strip us of that right.

Couldn't agree more.

As far as defending one or the other vociferously, I think that's the province of traditionalists mostly, which is what I was getting at with my question above (the serious one).

Guys who hunt with traditional rifles or bows pretty much do it for consistent reasons (you know what they are), which could point to some basic similarities in personality.

Guys who hunt with in-lines do it primarily to expand their hunting seasons, which IMO leaves a lot more room for variability in motivations and personalities.

For what it's worth.

And, last but not least, on the subject of "defending one or the other vociferously," guys who defend the use of in-lines normally do it in response to traditionalists who malign in-lines. It normally doesn't happen the other way around, i.e., guys who use in-lines don't normally malign traditional rifles in these kinds of debates. Lots of guys (probably most guys) who shoot in-lines think traditional rifles are pretty cool.

So the question is, why the need for traditionalists to malign in-lines? Why not just subscribe to the philosophy outlined by gnoahhh above?

Is it a need to feel superior, or what? Many times, I believe it is, so I'd ask, what is this feeling of superiority based on?

I've killed deer with traditional rifles and in-lines. As long as you're talking a caplock vs. an unscoped in-line with similar propellants and projectiles, the "challenge factor" is the same.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
At a hunter advisory group meeting,CO DOW by thier own admission,would have outlawed inlines, but they let it get to far along. After that they jumped on anything pretty quick that did not lend itself to a traditonal type ML season.Scopes,optic sights smokeless powder, electronic ignition, sabots, all are illegal.

I was around when the ML season was established in CO.The intent was much as what has been posted about MO ML season.

The Colorado Muzzle Loader Associtation, which was at the time, all traditional shooters,lobbied to get a ML season going. At the time it was a small group,much like the archery hunters in the70's, and the DOW let it in.

If there was any way for CO DOW to do it with out a hugh outcry from hunters, the inlines would be banned immdiately.

I shoot both.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
If there was any way for CO DOW to do it with out a hugh outcry from hunters, the inlines would be banned immdiately.

That's a crock. According to the people I talked to at the DOW. One of 'em was responsible for coordinating all inputs on muzzleloader regs.

Not sure who you talked to, but the DOW is has a lot of different people working for it, all with their own opinions.

Besides, if they're trying to recruit more hunters (they are) why on earth would they outlaw something as popular as in-lines for the special early season?

That just flat doesn't make sense.

Let me add a little background. In 2003 I wrote an article for publication on this subject, traditional vs. modern muzzleloaders, and specifically, the rationale for Colorado's muzzleloader regs. The article was based on interviews with NMLRA, the Colorado State organization, and DOW, including the hunting regulations coordinator responsible for muzzleloader regs. The article was reviewed by DOW and they published it in their magazine.

What I said above about the Colorado regs was pretty much verbatim from the article, so it's fair to say it was as close as you're gonna get to the DOW position.

DOW has made a determination that an in-line ignition, by itself, offers no significant advantage over a sidelock. So if they were to ban in-lines, what would be their basis?

Last edited by smokepole; 03/07/11.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
i have gotten the same thing smokepole from both Co and Id Dept . both separately and while in joint meetings .

but we should keep in mind that like all politicians , they say what the think most of the folks listening , want to hear .
i have had Idaho commissioners tell me one thing strait to my face over coffee
but then a couple days later over the phone when they think im someone else who may be against a given view . well the tune is sang differently ..
but changes are coming . there is alot of different reasons for that .
as i said before things are not so black and white . many times they have nothing to do with what is seen on the surface or what we are being told .
So as the winds of politics change . So will the winds of hunting in this state anyway .

PS.
i wouldn�t count on what the regulations saying as being the opinion of anyone . especially game commissions .
i can tell you with 100% certainty that if it was not for the governor of Idaho a couple years back we would not have seen the changes we did .

See here . The commissioners sit by the pleasure of the governor. If they want to say on the board . They jump when he says jump
Again . Things are not always what they seem

Last edited by captchee; 03/06/11.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, that's still Colorado, not the other 49 sates. Us trad guys don't rely on techy stuff to do for us what we can do for ourselves. I won't repeat some of the things I've been told by some in-line users, before I said anymore than "I hunt with a flintlock". But I bet the older trad guys have heard the same things. Same with a recurve or longbow as opposed to cam actuated arrow launching device.

As a related example, if you realllyyy stretch it. I like to sail. I had my little boat, a 12 footer, at a small, local public lake. I was coming in to the ramp and there was this fella launching his high tech bass boat..that thing shined like new money and had more gizmos and gadgets on it than I can begin to tell you. He's watching me come in and his mouth is almost agape. Now this little lake doesn't see but very, very little sail boat traffic, maybe 2-3 times a year, and one could hardly call Missouri an end destination when it comes to sailing. Anyway...I jump out of the boat and the guy says, "that thing really goes, doesn't it". I said, "well...yes, it does". He looked that simple little boat over like it was from outer space. Then asked, "where's the motor?" Doesn't have one...you'd have thought I kicked him in the testicles...and he told me I was nuts whereupon I got a too lengthy semi-lecture on how much better his bass boat was than my simple little 12 foot, sloop rigged sail boat. I said to him, "Well, I like to sail, and how do you think Columbus got here?" He stormed off incredulous and I hadn't said more than 20 words and none in a caustic or sarcastic manner. I'm glad I didn't ask him how much gas it used.

NRA Benefactor 2008

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
is it just me or do the traditional guys seem to be whiners?

I hunts with a flintlock!

Yeah well guess what, thats a modern upgrade compared to a matchlock!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am just relaying what was presented at the meeting.
This was in Sept,2009.When they were working on the next 5 year big game structure. One of the CO DOW game commissioners was also at that meeting.Forget his name,but he did not refute that statment.

At least 75% of the DOW local Wildlife officers were there and I think it was Brian Davies who made the statment.

Discussion was concerning what was reccomended in ways of changes for archery, ML, and rifle seasons and they also had statistics of the number of hunters they were seeing in each season.

Don't get pissed at me because someone said something you do not agree with.I actually attend any meetings that are held in Colo Sprgs, rather than relying on heresay on the internet.

As I stated ,I use both

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh yeah? How about the guy who hunts with an atlatl? But I guess that's an upgrade from a pointy stick. grin

I guess I gotta get me a rocket gun to one up the magnum rifle shooters. (Too bad the Gyrojet fizzled.)

I suppose a lot of people down through the ages gloated over their predecessor's technological "disadvantages". They forgot, however, the old axiom "once a weapon, always a weapon".

Everybody is free to shoot what they bloody well want. My personal choice when hunting with a ML is to use either an original, or a faithful copy of one, because it allows me to connect with those who came before us and to escape the from the modern world for a bit. Taking a chunk of plastic/stainless steel/and state-of-the-art optics into the woods with me is akin to taking the laptop/Blackberry on vacation to a Caribbean island. In the same vein, when hunting with a CF rifle I invariably choose to do it with a 100 year old Savage lever gun with iron sights, or a pre-war Mauser sporter again with iron sights. I don't want to be reminded of high-tech when sitting in the woods on an autumn day. I get enough of that in my day-to-day life.

It's the guys who don't get it, whether they are in-line devotees or not, that I feel sorry for.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/06/11.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ha in the general season you can use a rock if you want .

as to the match lock . i been thinking about that one for some time . might be kinda cool .
I have had deer and elk walk right up on me while smoking my pipe . So I cant see why that wouldn�t happen with a burning fuse

maybe we could get an category going at some of the shoots as well .
but then im thinking that the caplock guys get enough crap when they lose to flintlocks . might just push them over the edge if the lost to a matchlock LOL .
Bet someone would pitch a fit about walking the trail with a horn and a hot fuse though .
Surly some kind of safety issue would come up .
Allways seems to be some kind of catch doesn�t there

sadly though smoke pole . we dont live in an age where what given people want , in any given state , really maters .
even though as i said before , every state is different .
just as soon as someone stands up with enough backing you have folks from every where piling on . but thats politics isnt it �
As for me if Idaho wants to bring back traditional hunts . Im all for it .
That doesn�t mean however that I will hunt in them unless it�s a state wide type of hunt .
Tell that happens . Ill hunt the general season with my flintlock or maybe a fuse lock , right along side the center fire , pistol , shotgun , archers , rock throwers , knife hunters , spear hunter ����� because that�s what the any weapons season allows .
You know the funny part though ?
Taking game with your pickup , is still not allowed LOL

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Don't get pissed at me because someone said something you do not agree with.I actually attend any meetings that are held in Colo Sprgs, rather than relying on heresay on the internet.

saddlesore, I ain't pissed at you, and whether I agree with the statement or not is beside the point.

I just think it's a crock and it ain't gonna happen. The last thing DOW is going to do any time soon is make a move like this that has the potential to lower the number of elk hunters and the associated revenues. It's probably more about revenues than anything else.

And still there's the question--if Colorado has determined that an inline offers no significant advantage over a sidelock, what would be the basis of banning in-lines? They're ugly? They're not historically correct? (lots of sidelocks aren't either). Traditional rifle shooters don't like 'em?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Everybody is free to shoot what they bloody well want.

Exactly. I hunt in a place that has no cell phone reception for the reasons you cited above. I hunt out of a backpack, so I go a few miles in and don't see many other hunters back there. I like it that way. I go for the solitude, sometimes with a hunting partner but many times by myself. I also go for the physical part of it--it's challenging to knock down an elk, break it down, and pack it out on my own, especially the older I get. And it's a real feeling of accomplishment when all the meat is finally on ice.

But I do use "high-tech gadgets" and modern equipment, mostly lightweight stuff because it all goes on my back. Lightweight silnylon for a tent; goretex in my boots, a cartridge stove, titanium cookware, and so on. And a stainless rifle with plastic stock--one of the lightest I could find (yes cap, I know, there are lightweight traditional rifles) All this stuff allows me to go farther in where there are fewer people and hunt harder; I make no apologies for it. And I use a cartridge stove with dehydrated food so I can come back to the tent well after dark, boil some water, eat, and fall into bed in short order without having to cut wood and cook the pot of beans I'd be eating if I eschewed all things modern.

But I've gotta say, after the first quote above, this next one (below) is curious.

It's the guys who don't get it, whether they are in-line devotees or not, that I feel sorry for.

I don't personally ever want to use a cell phone when I'm hunting, but I'm not gonna say I feel sorry for a guy who does, because that's the ultimate in condescension. I've seen guys with different family situations do it, and some guys who just want to talk to their wives at night, and I never thought poorly of them for it or felt sorry for them.

Likewise with the talk about "high-tech gadgetry." Yeah, traditional rifles are cool, but probably not many traditional shooters sleep in wool blankets on a bed of pine needles when it's cold and there's a nice modern sleeping bag and foam pad available. Some do. And not many get to the trailhead on horseback.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
here you go smokepole
now this is cool LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3Oct1-AWY&feature=related

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah cap, I'll be packin' one of those on my next hunt!

That guy was an impostor though, he was wearing modern blue jeans and a camoflage hat.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah cap, I'll be packin' one of those on my next hunt!

That guy was an impostor though, he was wearing modern blue jeans and a camoflage hat.

ha what ever floats his boat . but what do you exspect from a Ruger Rep LOL

myself i wouldnt gig him on it .

i seriously think that would be a kick in the pants . may have to find time to make me one of those

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I switched to muzzle loaders to get better ballistics and more pleasant shooting over fosters slugs. I've hunted the late season a couple of times as well, but I mainly did it for firearms (slug zone) season. Using a MLII with AA5744 currently.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As a related example, if you realllyyy stretch it. I like to sail. I had my little boat, a 12 footer, at a small, local public lake. I was coming in to the ramp and there was this fella launching his high tech bass boat..

If you're talking about a comparison between a tradtional sidelock and an un-scoped in-line that's a ridiculous analogy.

Here's a better one:

You and your buddy are out at the lake, sailing in a really nice hand-made wooden boat, mahogany and teak, just like people used 200 years ago.

A guy in a boat of basically the same design, with a few modifications that don't really make it sail any better made out of fiberglass and kevlar so it's lighter, more durable, and requires a lot less maintenance, sails by with his 12 year-old son.

The guy looks over, admires your boat, and says "wow, that is a really nice-looking boat."

You say, "it sure is, and it's historically correct. Your boat is ugly and made out of modern materials, you're doing it all wrong, you need to sail like our forefathers did; like we do." And then: "there oughtta be a law aginst sailing in boats like yours."

The guy says "well, I don't go sailing because of what my forefathers did, I go sailing to get out on the water and feel the wind in my face. And to do things with my son." "I have other hobbies I prefer to spend my time on, like restoring vintage cars." And then: "See that '57 Chevy on the shore, that's mine, and if you wanna rag on my sailboat, all I can say is I'd rather pilot this boat and drive that car than be caught dead in that piece of junk you're driving."

And the guy sails off. Then you turn to your buddy and say "what an idiot, he just doesn't get it, he needs to sail like we do."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Let's really drive this thread off the road into the weeds. I spent almost 20 years in the marine industry here in Annapolis, building boats from scratch- from dinghies to 60ft. sport fishers. We stuck to all-wood construction, in both "classic" and "modern" designs. The method we employed was called cold moulding. Basically it consists of multiple layers of thin wood (usually mahogany) planks laid up "on the bias" to each other, bonded with epoxy, over the wooden frame of the boat. A final layer of fibreglass cloth soaked in epoxy went on top. (Then LOTS of sanding.) The finished product is both lighter and stronger than a fiberglass hull, but because of the hellish labor involved is a lot more expensive. My own little sail boat was built that way and to me represents the best of both worlds. The "traditional" and the "modern" boaters all tend to shut up and listen when they realize how it was constructed.

I guess my point is that personal preferences aside (and I won't restart that brouhaha), there is room for every taste, and there is often a middle ground. My chief beef in this whole debate has been that most states screwed up back when they allowed inlines to be used during primitive weapons seasons, but now that it's done I don't see that Genie being shoved back into the bottle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My chief beef in this whole debate has been that most states screwed up back when they allowed inlines to be used during primitive weapons seasons....

OK, so why was it a "screw-up?"

Let's really drive this thread off the road into the weeds.

I thought sharps already did a good job of that with his bass boat analogy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, that's still Colorado, not the other 49 sates.

You're right. Many of the other 49 are more liberal than Colorado in what they'll allow during the muzzleloader seasons. Plus, I'd be willing to wager a large sum that Colorado gets many more out-of-state hunters than MO, so what happens here affects more hunters than MO.

Us trad guys don't rely on techy stuff to do for us what we can do for ourselves.

Nonsense. Unless everthing you use is historically correct, you're just picking and choosing. Do you cook everything over a fire in a cast iron pot?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=gnoahhh] My chief beef in this whole debate has been that most states screwed up back when they allowed inlines to be used during primitive weapons seasons....

OK, so why was it a "screw-up?"

Go back and re-read some of my earlier posts to get the gist of my opinion (and that, again if you were truly paying attention to what I've been posting, is just my opinion- take it or leave it, I don't much care either way) , if that's not too much trouble for you!!! How long do you intend to beat this dead horse, or nit-pick the fleas that jump off of it???

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/07/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back to the original question.

I like the smoke and the challenge.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I havent read all of these posts but I have seen this topic discussed over and over before. I like traditional and in-lines. I dont understand why everyone that shoots traditional hates inline shooters so much. Im guessing that there are several traditional muzzleloader hunters that hunt during the bow season with a compound bow and not a recurve.As soon as black powder season is over they grab their modern scoped bolt action and head for the woods instead of using their smokepole. Im betting that most of them also use a lighter to light their cigarettes and dont sit on the ground rubbing two sticks together for a flame. Im also betting a lot of them ride 4 wheelers to their stand instead of a horse or walking. I like the looks and feel of traditional guns also but Im not going to hate on everyone who doesnt use the same weapon as I am. A muzzleloader is a steel rod with a hole drilled in it, most have rifling. They are both loaded from the muzzle and use some form of cap to ignite the powder. I suppose the best way to please everyone would be to split the blackpowder season in half, one week for traditional and one week for inlines. Heck most younger people dont have any interest in hunting as much as they used to. If it takes an inline to keep their interest in muzzleloading alive then so be it. I just enjoy hunting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Go back and re-read some of my earlier posts to get the gist of my opinion (and that, again if you were truly paying attention to what I've been posting, is just my opinion- take it or leave it, I don't much care either way) , if that's not too much trouble for you!!! How long do you intend to beat this dead horse, or nit-pick the fleas that jump off of it???

A little touchy this morning, eh? Personally, I don't think allowing in-lines was a "screw-up," and the question I asked goes to the heart of the OP's original question, so I don't believe it's nit-picking. I also believe as I said before that an un-scoped in-line using similar powders and projectiles offers no real advantage over a traditional cap lock, so what I'm trying to show here is that traditionalists' complaints about in-lines are based on aesthetics and romanticism rather than a rational basis, and are therefore not a good rationale for regulating firearms allowed during ML seasons.

So, I went back and read your first post to get an idea of the basis for your objections to in-lines, here it is:

Years ago when special ML seasons were set up I took the spirit of the reason for them to heart, and still do. They were intended to give ML guys a chance to deer hunt without being crowded by all of the "civilians" during the regular season- much the same reason why there is an archery season too. Now, the DNR views the ML season as just another tool for deer herd management which prompted them to ok the use of inlines. Now the woods are full of guys, mostly toting inlines, shooting the hell out of stuff and the ambience of doing it the "old way" is gone. I guess that is what lies at the heart of my dislike for inlines. That and the fact that a lot of them are way more powerful than a .30/30 but are legal around here for deer, but the .30/30 isn't. Doesn't make sense.

Interesting that you compare the special ML seasons to the archery season in that I don't know of any states that restrict for example, compound bows, which are more technologically-advanced than my in-line rifles.

The reason compound bows are allowed during archery seasons is that an archer using one still has to get closer to his game than a traditional rifle shooter, draw the bow undetected, and make the shot. (That's easily more difficult than getting within range and making a shot with a caplock, and I've done both). The difficulty inherent in getting close and making the shot is the basis for special early archery seasons. Has nothing to do with whether the weapon is modern or traditional, and everything to do with the difficulty of getting close and closing the deal.

So what's your objection to unscoped in-lines based on? What is it about an in-line ignition that chaps your ass? Are they more accurate than a caplock? Are they capable of higher velocities, if similar powders and projectiles are used as they are in Colorado? Do they offer any real advantage over traditional caplocks?

The answer is no. So what you're left with is this:

"....the ambience of doing it the "old way" is gone."

As you can see by a lot of the responses on this thread, not everyone is interested in "the ambience of doing it the old way."

You can call it "nit-picking" if you like, but I'm not the one who's advocating making it illegal for you to hunt with your chosen weapon. That's your deal, and you're basing it on your particular idea of how things should be done.

The thing is, you can hunt the "old way" all you like and no one's trying to keep you from doing it. Hell, if it's that important to you, out here in Colorado, traditionalists can hunt both the muzzleloader season and the regular firearms season if they want.

Not many hunt the general firearms season with traditional rifles though, because they want to hunt the early season, and want to limit the number of people sharing the woods with 'em.

I'm OK with that, as long as the limitation is based on something rational like the effective range of the weapon and things are on an equal footing, which they are with un-scoped in-lines.

But if someone wants to tell me I shouldn't be able to share the early season woods because I have "no appreciation for the ambience of doing it the old way" I call bullsh**.

And that ain't nit-picking, it's just a basic difference in philosphy.

My philosophy is, if I want the woods to myself, I just need to be willing to walk a few miles back in where others don't go, not limit the people who can hunt when I do based on my own ideas of how it should be done.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
smokepole, the analogy wasn't the sail boat versus the bass boat. Sorry you took it that way. The point was the guys attitude towards my simple little boat. All too often I've met with the same attitude from in-line users and cam actuated arrow launching device users. Frequent scoffing at something they're totally ignorant of. If some of the things they've said were remotely close to the truth the human race wouldn't have survived past throwing rocks and sharpened sticks.

Quite honestly Missouri doesn't depend on license sales to the extent other states do. Much of their funding comes from a 1/8% sales tax everyone pays, was voted on by the population and has been in effect for close to 35 years, maybe a couple years more. And I for one am quite happy with our low number of non-resident hunters, especially south of the river. Let 'em go to Colorado!

You're out of line, for me and a few others on here, when you utter "nonsense" about our/my use of techy stuff. You don't know me, you don't know how I hunt or camp and you obviously have no clue as to what I use or and even less of a clue as to what is correct for the period and place. If you think cooking in a cast iron pot is correct for the way I hunt and camp you need to do some research. I'm not packin' that heavy thing. I won't go into detail as to what I wear and use while hunting and camping with muzzleloaders. Let's just say I could step into 1803 Missouri and not raise an eyebrow, if I shed the orange. A strip search would reveal nothing earlier than the time period depicted...right down to the drawers. And others are a lot better at it than me.

What is it you find so appealing about the in-line? Why would you rather use one instead of a cap lock or flintlock? Is Colorado the only state you hunt and if not, when you go to other states do you scope your in-line and use sabots? If Colorado allowed their use would you use a scope and a sabot?

NRA Benefactor 2008

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
first we had the match lock, then the wheel lock, then more ADVANCEMENTS came along in the version of the Flintlock, and then an even bigger TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENT came in the form as the Percussion lock, And now we have the Inline muzzle loader which is again, another step up of the technology advancement of the muzzle loading rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buddy you really don't understand what I'm saying. First of all, don't go putting words in my mouth. You are inferring that I'm advocating making anything illegal (which if you bothered to read my posts without a pre-formed idea of what it was I was saying) would be apparent. Nor am I advocating that anyone using anything that's different from what I use should stay out of the woods. Sheesh. Put your glasses on. Such draconian measures would be unethical, immoral, and illegal and certainly not what I'm advocating. NOT that I'm advocating ANYTHING!!! I've merely been stating my philosophy, and bemoaning the fact that non-traditional firearms were allowed in the primitive weapons season in the first place--which statement I qualified as being my g*d dam*ed opinion ONLY.

As far as the reference to archery season goes it was in reference to the fact that there IS a seperate archery season, not mentioning a thing about what kind of bows should/shouldn't be legal. Again, I don't give a tinker's damn what anyone uses.

Debating an issue is all of our right pal, and I respect your opinion as I would hope you would respect mine. Just don't go putting words in my mouth.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're out of line, for me and a few others on here, when you utter "nonsense" about our/my use of techy stuff. You don't know me, you don't know how I hunt or camp and you obviously have no clue as to what I use or and even less of a clue as to what is correct for the period and place.

Well, if you read the post what I said was "unless everything you use is historically correct." So if everything you use is historically correct, obviously I wasn't talking about you. And you're right, I have no clue on what's historically correct for the period and place you're talking about.

So what?

1) What is it you find so appealing about the in-line? 2) Why would you rather use one instead of a cap lock or flintlock? 3) Is Colorado the only state you hunt and if not, when you go to other states do you scope your in-line and use sabots? 4) If Colorado allowed their use would you use a scope and a sabot?

Man, you ask a lot of questions for someone with no interest in in-line rifles.

1) Mine is a T/C Triumph. It's lightweight (important for backpacking) and balances very well, better than the traditional rifles I've handled. The removable breech plug makes it easy to clean without dunking steel in water, something I like to avoid. It's accurate. I'm sure there are traditional rifles out there with similar attributes, but I don't own one of 'em and frankly, don't want to spend my time looking for it.

2) See above.

3) No. I hunted in VA years ago with a Hawken, haven't hunted there since they allowed scopes. If I went back to hunt there, I doubt I'd put a scope on the rifle and I know I wouldn't use sabots, no need for either as most shots are 100 yards or less.

4) Can't honestly say if I would or not but I hope Colorado doesn't make scopes/sabots/smokeless legal. Because IMHO, it's not the in-line ignition but the additions like scopes/sabots/smokeless that extend the effective range of the weapon (for the average hunter) and defeat the purpose of the early "primitive" seasons. I do know this--it's no big deal to stalk within range of an elk or deer using either a caplock or un-scoped in-line. So I'd lean towards staying un-scoped.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Buddy you really don't understand what I'm saying. First of all, don't go putting words in my mouth.

Well, I apologize for putting words in your mouth; that was not my intention, but I did interpret your saying that "they screwed up when they allowed in-lines" to mean you'd be in favor of banning them now.

And I do appreciate any and all traditional shooters who don't advocate that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thank you. Apology accepted.

I really would like to hear more of your exploits while backpack hunting "back and beyond". I used to hunt like that, but a tricky ticker and a body bollixed up from arthritis put a stop to that. PM me if you wish.

Cheers! I'm gonna go and have a stiff drink!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MAN !! I leave for work and come home to a pissing contest going on without me LOL .
Ok so let me catch up .
Mine
[Linked Image]

what is that up front of me ?? DAM is that a glass canoe !!!!!

[Linked Image]

Do you cook everything over a fire in a cast iron pot

Ahhh no .
[Linked Image]
why would I pack such a thing on my back ? Not to mention all the food that would be needed to justify it

A muzzleloader is a steel rod with a hole drilled in it, most have rifling. They are both loaded from the muzzle and use some form of cap to ignite the powder.

really that simple ? , ill just skip that becouse it would call for another book and its been a long day LOL

the question I asked goes to the heart of the OP's original question, so I don't believe it's nit-picking. I also believe as I said before that an un-scoped in-line using similar powders and projectiles offers no real advantage over a traditional cap lock,

true

so what I'm trying to show here is that traditionalists' complaints about in-lines are based on aesthetics and romanticism rather than a rational basis,

yes a no.

Yes that may seem to be the case on the surface.
But underneath I think is more . As soon as you define modern muzzle loading to restrictions . Before you can say adjourned. There is whispers of , needing scopes , then sabots , then any number of powders pellets , electronic ignitions �� then the next step is the BP cartradge shooters who also want a part of the pie . Then shortly after the modern center fire guys start questioning the whole setup

Interesting that you compare the special ML seasons to the archery season in that I don't know of any states that restrict for example, compound bows, which are more technologically-advanced than my in-line rifles.

The reason compound bows are allowed during archery seasons is that an archer using one still has to get closer to his game than a traditional rifle shooter, draw the bow undetected, and make the shot. (That's easily more difficult than getting within range and making a shot with a caplock, and I've done both). The difficulty inherent in getting close and making the shot is the basis for special early archery seasons. Has nothing to do with whether the weapon is modern or traditional, and everything to do with the difficulty of getting close and closing the deal.

actualyyyyyyyyyy. there are restrictions on compounds . at least here . everything from max let offs to Brodhead designs
and sizes . even weights of those broad heads .

i used to hunted alot with compounds and they are alot different then a long bow or recurve of which im just trying to learn.

both my old Martin Lynx and super lynx shoots a 2114 at well ove 300fps
faster if i use carbons . but the long bow more to 175 . much bigger slower arrow .
on my martin i can hold its 80# setting for some time with its 70% let off . my 50lb long bow at full draw . less then 1/2 a minute and i might as well be shooting at the moon . no let off on that baby LOL

I'm not the one who's advocating making it illegal for you to hunt with your chosen weapon

in all fairness i dont see anyone saying that . At least here the general season is open as is short range weapons hunts .
as i said before . even here you can use what you like in the general any weapons season .
and again speaking for myself . thats where i hunt if im not hunting with LOP tags .
Why , because that�s where the greatest opportunity is . Now if you into trophy hunting . Then some of the early season archery or late season muzzle loading hunts give some of the best trophy harvest numbers . But at least concerning the later . In order to get into those hunts . Your going to give up months of deer hunting for a 1 week hunt .
Originally Posted by bigblock455
first we had the match lock, then the wheel lock, then more ADVANCEMENTS came along in the version of the Flintlock, and then an even bigger TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENT came in the form as the Percussion lock, And now we have the Inline muzzle loader which is again, another step up of the technology advancement of the muzzle loading rifle.

actualy that would be the fuse. then the matchlock then the snaphence and Wheel lock . followed by 150 years of the flintlock both side and inline and many many different improvements and percussion guns . then pin fire , rim fire and center fire which then were used as a base to converted back to many of the more modern inline muzzleloading rifles .
now thats not to say inline ignitions didn�t exist . they did . i think we covered that didn�t we .?

Ok so where are we now ? Has anything been settled ? Nope and it wont.
Why because the modern folks will never stop pushing for more and more technologies.
Traditionalist will continue to push for less and less technologies .
Modern muzzle loading folks will continue to be seen as nothing but interlopers by traditionalists.
Traditionalist will continue to be seen as people wanting to Bann someone from using what they want .

I cant count the times folks have ask me why I don�t get into these type of discussions very deep .
The reason is that neither side will ever understand the other .
Now this isn�t pointed at anyone really so don�t take it that way .
But I gotta rant alittle . Its just been one of those days . So don�t hold it against me .

But it chafs my back side to hear modern folks claim that there is no difference. Yet in the next sentence poo poo information that could help them because it comes from someone with decades of experience with traditional muzzle loading . Suddenly then these modern guns are somehow different .
This is normal;y followed by a long complaint about how corrosive BP is bla bla bla .
Modern powders are so much cleaners and easier to use .
Well maybe those of us who have been shooting it for decades could actually teach a think or two . But oh no that could just no be . After all we have to pay 20.00a lb for the new fangled powders and 24 a dozen for those fancy conical. Which still produce endless posts about rust , pitting fouling rings ,and how to remove brass and lead fouling from the barrels .

So how about you guys just agree that you disagree . Non of us have control of any of this . The laws will be what they are
But it would be nice for once to see the modern folks just understand that regardless of what you think , what you want , your never going to be welcome . But maybe just maybe if you put forth an effort to support those traditionalist who don�t want you around . Maybe in turn they would support areas where you could use every bang an whistle you guys want . After all , that�s what its all about isn�t it .
that�s how I see it anyway .

But anyway how about we step back , shake hands and talk about something else

Last edited by captchee; 03/07/11.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice boat Cap. Build it yourself? PM me if you want to talk about it!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice boat Cap. Build it yourself? PM me if you want to talk about it!

yes i did . i have built a number of them using the stitch and tape meathod . here are a couple others

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I really would like to hear more of your exploits while backpack hunting "back and beyond". I used to hunt like that, but a tricky ticker and a body bollixed up from arthritis put a stop to that.

I know what you mean. I'm 53 with one knee surgically repaired and the ankle on the other side arthritic so my days in the backcountry are numbered.

By the way, thanks for the gracious acceptance.

Here's a link to a post about my 2007 hunt, I'll see if I can dig up another:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthr...zleloader-Hunt/page5&highlight=westy

Here's another, from 2008:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?14620-2008-Muzzleloader-Hunt/page4&highlight=chestnut

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by captchee
But it chafs my back side to hear modern folks claim that there is no difference. Yet in the next sentence poo poo information that could help them because it comes from someone with decades of experience with traditional muzzle loading . Suddenly then these modern guns are somehow different .
This is normal;y followed by a long complaint about how corrosive BP is bla bla bla .
Modern powders are so much cleaners and easier to use .
Well maybe those of us who have been shooting it for decades could actually teach a think or two . But oh no that could just no be .....

Cap, welcome back to the pissin' match, we missed ya!!

But what do you mean, who's poo-pooing information from old-timers, I sure ain't.

And I did get rust in my barrel from BH209 so you won't hear me trash-talking about BP. As a matter of fact I don't believe you have heard that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Now this isn�t pointed at anyone really so don�t take it that way .

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cap, been following this,uh, discussion for a few days and due to fate have come to possess a used muzzle loader and for the life of me can't figure if it would be considered and inline or what. It's fair old, or at least parts of it are. Dang thing can't be breech loaded 'cause it's got a .400 groove and uses a .38-55, uh....pellet? Well, it's a case that holds BP, not the -kaff- newer subs. It doesn't use 209 primers if that helps.

You'll note it doesn't have any sights. Maybe I could wrap some duct tape around the FM and use that little bobbin on the top as a post sight? Just wondering where I stand here and who I'm rootin' fer. The plastic/SS pellet users or the old school. By the way, that Pope fellow had some guns run in the old NRC days and maybe this'n would work better then or there?

[Linked Image]

BTW, I have a neighbor that builds some boats sorta like yours.

[Linked Image]

Aw heck, that's the airplane guy, sorry! crazy

Here, this is it...

[Linked Image]

Whatcha think about all this here stuff?

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Just wondering where I stand here and who I'm rootin' fer.

I hear that's fairly common with cross-dressers......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good morning Dan .
nice Kyaks . is the plan a cub or a tyler craft ?

I would suggest a receiver mounted Creedmoor type sight myself .
IMO your rifle begs for one .
is that a mettel post sticking up from the wrist ? if so thats probably where the rear peep sight is ment to set .

Also here , we have a min . caliber requirement. That says 45 cal or bigger for deer and antelope . 50 cal or bigger for elk and moose

Now this is just my opinion. But if the ignition channel is inline with the bore . IE the powder is ignited from the back of the powder , as well as having the actual action inline with the bore . Then its an inline system .

If I gather from your description correctly . Your loading the bullet from the muzzle . But charging from the breech . Here that would be a breech loaders . Also because the powder is loaded into the rifle in a casing then it would be a cartridge gun .

Now a note on this though .
Many folks don�t realize it but some falling blocks can be loaded this way .
A friend of mine a couple towns over has a paper cartridge sharps and I have watched him load it 3 different ways
A ) with paper cartridges
B) by using a measured loading rod that only allows the bullet to be set a give distance from the muzzle . Then he loads lose powder from the breech .
C) using what he calls a charging block . This is kinda like a short starter but its used from the breech end to set the bullet . Then he loads powder and closes the action

Back in 2006 we took it to the enforcement division of the IDF&G for clarification
. See it can be loaded from the muzzle , without opening the breech . The cap is exposed and it is a side lock .

But the rules say capable of ONLY being loaded from the muzzle� so we got beat up on that .
They also stated that in their opinion because the powder was loaded from the breech , they would classify it as then a breech loader regardless of the bullet being loaded from the muzzle .
So we got a no go all the way around .

Back to your piece .
Without looking at it and judging from what you say and the one photo , I would say that what you have maybe based on either one of the Pauly or Berenger designs from 1814-1834
It should be noted that Pauly was way , WAY ahead of his time . He also had a system to ignite the charge from compressed air
See during the 19th century , cartridge evolution really took of with the advent of the percussion cap . Case in point . The shotgun shell used today . Has changed very little from those in the late 1830 . In fact its changed little from Pottet�s patent of 1829
But we are talking rifles aren�t we . Some of these early cartridge designs still required a projectile to be loaded eather from the muzzle or from the breech . The cartridge only held the powder and primer . Some of the cartridges of the later 1850-1860 while being a complete system , still used the #11 cap as a primer in that they had a nipple set to the case . Some like the Berebger , had the nipple set to the side . Others like the Coffer system , had the nipple placed at the base in the same place we would seat a primer today .
still others set the primer right to the case . thus what many folks think to be a nipple off the side of the case , is really just a way to remove the case from the chamber . exstractors had yet to be come up with .

The pin fire system also dates to around 1827 and infact was adopted by the Prussia army by 1842.
what did that ignition system look like?
notice any resembolance to todays bolt action designs
[Linked Image]

all this is one of the reasons why the cap lock system lst favor so quickly . there was just so many people needing one last piece of the puzzle . once that piece was found . things just exsploded

Anyway the evolution of firearms is really something to be amazed at . I don�t claim to know it all . For that mater even a fraction of it .

if folks would like i could scan a photo showing the early Pauly and Berebger cartradges .

Last edited by captchee; 03/08/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cap, that's an interesting post on your part, didn't know much?/any of that.

Tyler Craft as I recall. He's rebuilding an old Indy Boat Tail Racer too, complete with the Model T 4-banger.

That little stud on the wrist is for the "breech seater" and I use the term loosely. Fella I picked it up from didn't know giddy-up from sic'im about the gun so I'm reverse engineering in my mind on the piece. Due to the incongruity of bullet diameter (.400) and case (.390)on the seater that tool cannot work in a conventional manner. My best guess is the bullet is seated "deep" and final position is done with the seater from behind. It occurs that a range rod with a properly positioned stop would obviate the need for the seater and make room for that Creedmore sight. That's an old thick side High Wall there on my "in-line". Well, it's got a little panache even if it is an in-line/cartridge gun. I think Pope called them a "muzzle loading/breech cartridge gun" or something like that.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice muzzle/breech loader Dan. Who built it? How does it shoot? I would sell my soul for an original Pope system, preferably .32/40 on a High Wall or Ballard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just purchased it a week ago and am still looking for a Unertl to park on the roof. Or a Fecker...something like that. Was built by BW Darr in '75 and has been shot very little, none at all for the last 31 years. Pure chance I found it, stopped by a gun show I rarely visit and found the third owner there with it on the table. Looking forward to some range time with it myself. Folks down at the range aren't ready for this one, guaranteed! I do so thoroughly enjoy embarrassing gas guns and this one will do that with ease. Spoke with Mr. Darr about an hour ago and "If you're up to it that one will print bugholes with 10 shots."

Gawd, I love muzzle loaders! laugh

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ok so here is a question for you all .
breechloader ?
muzzleloader ?
are they inlines or sidelocks ?

care to make a guess on the dates

Samuel Evens
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jover of Londen
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/documentation/_10CUJoverLondon.jpg[/img]

Blaisdell
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/documentation/09-14-09-05Blaisdell.jpg[/img]

or how about these two more famous ones.
do you know why they were famous ?
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/documentation/Lukens-DNH-full550jpg.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/documentation/lewisandclarkairgunGirandoni.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
breechloader ?
muzzleloader ?
are they inlines or sidelocks ?

care to make a guess on the dates

Don't know the particulars of fame, but "air rifles", muzzle loaders, side locks, older than me. How am I doin' so far? grin

Saw a picture of the last recently but forget the particulars. The stock is the air reservoir.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No sh**?? Air rifles? I was wondering what the reservoirs were.

If they're air rifles, then why the external hammer?

Is that sort of like the "bolt actions" on Remington muzzleloaders--useless as teats on a boar but designed to look familiar (to bring it full cirlce)?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No sh**?? Air rifles? I was wondering what the reservoirs were.

If they're air rifles, then why the external hammer?

Is that sort of like the "bolt actions" on Remington muzzleloaders--useless as teats on a boar but designed to look familiar (to bring it full cirlce)?

yep all are air rifles . pre 1812 as i recall
on some the hammers work the valves and gates . on others just the gates . yet others only the valves

the bottom 2 are a couple of the 3 that L&C hard with them . the air tanks are in the butt stocks . the others have ball tanks .

and yes they were used for hunting and for war .
Some even had magazines which would hold multiple projectiles as such they were capable of firing repeatable times without stopping to reload . As I recall the bottom one is such a gun . It could shoot 20 times on one tank and fired a 51 cal ball at over 750fps

the top one , i have writen down as a 72 cal

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cap, I read once, somewhere, that there was a time when such weapons used steam from a similar reservoir (the globes) that was drawn from a fire then attached to the weapon. Ever hear of that? Recollection was the guns favored a high rate of fire as well, but I'm not certain of that. I think they were used by European naval forces aboard ships.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/08/11.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
have not heard of that one
as i said before Pauly had a system which used compressed air air to ignight the powder .
but steam is a new one on me

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seems like would've been hard to re-charge in the field, how'd they do that?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I am partial to sidelocks and use to sort of resent the inlines and all of the hoopla in the press talking about how far they would shoot leading to the uninitiated taking unsportsman like shots in my opinion. While I still consider any ML a short range weapon the ability to scope a rifle has developed new meaning as I have aged and the inline does this well. I have always said and advised others that given only one deer rifle I would take a good ML as it can be used in both the special and regular gun season. I actually prefer the ML season as it is normally earlier when the weather is more pleasant, and where I hunt east of the Mississippi 100-125yds is plenty so I really don't fee; the ML has much disadvantage.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seems like would've been hard to re-charge in the field, how'd they do that?

well basically concerning air rifles .
for the public , it was a hand pump sort of affair smoke pole .
Some screwed into say a tree or post and then you un screwed the buttstock and screwed it into a the pump and went at it .
Others had pumps resembling a basketball pump.
But for the military , I have read where they had pumping wagons .
Basically as the wagon rolled along it would pump compressed air into a tank . Then from their the rifles were refilled .
I think these were just special units outfitted with these rifles. Probably something more like Ferguson did with his breechloader design .though I could be wrong .

now i question if you all will .
i have to ask . those of you that have hunted artcher and can no longer draw the bow , what do you do ?

Last edited by captchee; 03/09/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old Archer = Vegetarian or snare master...

Steam: http://www.2ndmdinfantryus.org/winans.html

http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/perkgun/index.html

The links above relate to Civil War artillery concepts but I was thinking in terms of ship board man portable weapons...can't find anything on that.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Id' have nothing against inlines if they stick to using blackpowder and iron sights. Then they are just ugly, but not overly advantageous. But put a 50mm scope on them and suddenly I hear shooting every evening of late season muzzleloading, well after legal hours.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

i have to ask . those of you that have hunted artcher and can no longer draw the bow , what do you do ?

Stay home of course. What is so hard about that? I can't dunk a basketball but I don't expect the city parks to install springboards on all the park ball courts. I don't want to see elevators to the bottom of the Grand Canyon for those that didn't/couldn't make the trip when they were able, and I don't want to see roads in every wilderness area for everyone that can't walk. Just the way it is.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
very cool dan . thanks for the info

brent , i was just asking . thanks for clearing it up for me LOL

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember as a teen in the 70's, drooling over gun catalogs. One was the Marlin catalog. I longed for a big bore lever action, and the other was a T/C catalog. I had friends that shot black powder rifle matches at a local club, and I WANTED ONE!! My father helped me buy a T/C Hawken in 1978, and I used it to shoot matches for many years. I was bitten hard by the black powder bug at an early age. I was winning matches and very much enjoyed that .45 caliber Hawken.

When I got a look at my first T/C Renegade, I was hooked. I liked the blued iron much better than the bright brass on the Hawkins, and set out to find a way to get one. Soon after, the fairer sex began to get all of my attention, and money, and the Renegades took a back seat. Well, the years passed. Wives, kids, cars, houses, etc, etc, etc, still prevented me from spending money on the much dreamed about Renegade.

Fast forward 35 years. My wife, (I LOVE that woman!), puts up with my love of hunting and shooting, so when I saw a .54 caliber percussion Renegade with a beautiful piece of wood for sale on Gunbroker, she said, "Go for it!", and I did. Soon the long awaited Renegade was in my hands. Due to the earlier purchase of a .58 caliber Pedersoli Kodiak double rifle, I had all of the loading and shooting accessories for .58 caliber on hand, and nothing for a .54, so I ordered a .58 caliber Green Mountain barrel for the rengade. I was already fond of the .58 caliber, but the Renegade / Green Mountain combo drove it home. Ragged one hole groups at 50 yards were easy with the perfectly balanced 32" barrel, and that sealed the deal.

A few months later, while looking around on Gunbroker (a bad idea!), I happened upon a .50 caliber Renegade flintlock in like new condition. A quick conference with my wife had my bid posted, and the beautiful rifle on it's way home. In order to cintinue my love affair with the big .58, I searched for a .58 caliber Green Mountain flintlock barrel, only to discover that there was no such thing. During the process of searching for a barrel, I talked to Troy at Stonewall Creek Outfitters who delivered the bad news about the GM barrel, and mentioned that he had a Rice .58 caliber blank that he could fit to my new flinter. JACKPOT!

A couple months later, my .58 Renegade flintlock arrived, and I'm happy to say that it shoots as good as the percussion rifle. They are the perfect pair. Same barrel length, same powder charge, same patch, and same ball in both rifles. Both shoot better than I do.

In 40 years of shooting, I can honestly say that I have never had as much fun as I've had with those two Renegades. I LOVE the look and the sounds of the big boomers in the still, early morning hours on the range. The big gray "fingers" reaching out for the target as the smoke just lingers in slow motion in the air, wafting that great pure black smell towards the firing line. They always garner attention from others on the line as the "BOOM" fades away. I have introduced new shooters to muzzleloading, started by conversation struck up about the noise and smoke from the big .58's.

I can't think of anything more relaxing in this "rush, rush, rush" world than spending the day at the range burning up some Goex. It totally relaxes and revitalizes me.

I will take this opportunity to thank my wife for putting up with me and telling me, "Go shooting. You're starting to piss me off!". I LOVE that woman. She also fulfilled the other dream of a big bore lever action. For our anniversary a few years ago, she bought me a Marlin Guide Gun in .45/70 caliber. There is no better rifle for hog hunting, my other passion, in the thick Florida plametto scrub, and it has proven itself many times. Sometimes dreams do come true, even if it takes 35 years to happen! Life is GOOD!

By the way, I also have a scoped T/C Omega that I use for most of my muzzleloading hunting. I have walked thru the woods in pouring rain all day, and had no ignition problems. Inlines have their place. I load the Omega with Goex - I don't like the BP substitutes - they are just too hard to clean up. But for pure fun and relaxation, I'll take the flintlock every time!

Last edited by daddywpb; 03/09/11.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As to the air rifles being discussed I saw a episode on tv just recently about Lewis and Clark having one of the air rifles along on their trip. I believe they said it was a French invention. I guess technically they are not muzzleloaders as the one they demoed loaded from a magazine via a apparatus/ lever on the side. They could supposedly get off a surprising number of rounds between air refills which was good thing as it took about 1200-1500 pumps with the tire pump sort of apparatus to charge it up. They had one at the NRA musuem that they were showing and they considered it one of the most valuable guns in their collection.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

now i question if you all will .

Cap, I bought a compound because whenever I shot enough to be accurate with a longbow, my left shoulder couldn't take it. When I can no longer shoot a compound I won't go the crossbow route because IMHO the whole thing about archery is getting close and drawing the bow without alerting the animal.

YMMV

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BrentD
Id' have nothing against inlines if they stick to using blackpowder and iron sights. Then they are just ugly, but not overly advantageous. But put a 50mm scope on them and suddenly I hear shooting every evening of late season muzzleloading, well after legal hours.

Well, you really wouldn't like mine then. I have a big flashlight taped to my 60-mm scope.

Seriously though, the last time I heard illegal shooting it was a guy with a sidelock. And a .44 magnum revolver.

7 shots in rapid succession, opening morning of the ML season. I saw his buddies later and made an issue of it, and they said "he practices his reloading a lot, and he's very fast at it." To which I replied "sounds like he oughtta practice his shooting more." Even with seven shots, he came up empty.

I guess he shoulda been shooting an in-line, because everyone knows traditional shooters don't comport themselves thusly.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You are right - I wouldn't like yours.

Never said [bleep] only use inlines either.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.