Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just wondering, those of you who own and or shoot the M10/22, What is the most accurate .22LR that you shoot in your rifle? (regardless of cost)

I mean that L-I-T-E-R-A-L-L-Y!

What 22LR ammo have you shot in your M10/22 that gave you best accuracy and tightest groups? (whether you shot a 'stock' rifle or one you modified / customized?)

I am not asking 'what is the most "accurate cheap or promotional ammo" that you like or buy.

I realize every gun (and barrel) is an individual and the best way to learn what a particular gun likes is to just try many different brands and loads. I'm hoping enough folks will chime in and show a trend in what many have success with.

THANKS ahead of time! cool

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
WW Power Points, and CCI MiniMagHPs seem to be what my little rifle likes best. Those two have shot about as good as anything at all, in every .22 rifle I've owned. Not the best for poking holes in paper, maybe, but I use 'em for hunting squirrels and such.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i tried a bunch and have settled on CCI Velocitors in my 10/22T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 10/22T likes the Federal Auto-Match the best.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mine shoots CCI MiniMag HPs quite well.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two 10/22s

One likes Winchester 40gr power points.

The other likes CCI MiniMags 40gr

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Just wondering, those of you who own and or shoot the M10/22, What is the most accurate .22LR that you shoot in your rifle? (regardless of cost)

What 22LR ammo have you shot in your M10/22 that gave you best accuracy and tightest groups? (whether you shot a 'stock' rifle or one you modified / customized?)

I am not asking 'what is the most "accurate cheap or promotional ammo" that you like or buy.

I realize every gun (and barrel) is an individual and the best way to learn what a particular gun likes is to just try many different brands and loads. I'm hoping enough folks will chime in and show a trend in what many have success with.

Great question. Kind of surprised to not see Eley tennex or RWS match grade stuff come up?????????? The OP did say "regardless of cost". Sounds like the cheap run of the mill stuff, to me, you guys are using to get those extremely tight groups the op is looking for.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best that I have TRIED is 40 grain Win Power Points. I havent run any match ammo thru it, but the PP's are accurate enough in my stock 10/22 for what I use it for.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Lapua Scoremax 48 grainers shoot extemely well in my 10/22, most other ammo is spray paint. With the exception of this ammo, mine is just a fun gun, probably the least accurate 22 I own. This turns it into a great squirrel rifle. They are no longer made, you can only find them at gunshows and gunbroker. I paid way too much for the last couple boxes I bought, but they do shoot.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My box stock 1022 shoots CCI Velocitors the best.
My Clark likes Green Tag, CCI SV and the new AR Tactical stuff that CCI just introduced. Fact is my Clark shoots just about any of the CCI ammo real well.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Great question. Kind of surprised to not see Eley tennex or RWS match grade stuff come up?????????? The OP did say "regardless of cost". Sounds like the cheap run of the mill stuff, to me, you guys are using to get those extremely tight groups the op is looking for.

True ... but the OP ALSO stated what we TRIED ... not all of us are spending Eley coin in a stock 10/22.

I own a home-made 10/22T-ish rifle ... serious consitently shot less than 1/2" @ 50 yards (I could remove 9 out of 10 thumbtacks with it) with the old Remmy Thunderbolts. Bought some new ones ... those things really sucked.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
True enough AV. I'd like to say that I for one don't pay for the premium stuff either (can't afford it). Sounds like maybe he's thinking about competing with it though. I've got a bone stock 10-22 that shoots pretty good for being the standard barrel with the forend barrel clamp still on it. I have only adjusted the trigger and put a cheap azz rear peap and hi-viz front on it. Here's a pic of what it consistantly shoots like with the federal auto match which is very reasonably priced and sold at wallyworld:

[Linked Image]

Here's a target shot with some of the el-cheapo federal champion maroon box stuff:
[Linked Image]

Remember these are open sights and my left eye (shooting eye) is pretty [bleep] up blush

[Linked Image]

If I remember right it was 14 degrees that day and the federal stuff still functioned pretty good for the conditions. The new remington 22lr ammo does SUCK. You nailed that one on the head. I've had so many misfires and failure to go bang that I gave up on them...Oh by the way AV. This rifle used to belong to a friend and it shot 1/2 inch groups with a scope on it at 50 yds. He was hurting for money one day and you know the rest of the story grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Usually just buy whats cheap or on sale, but just for kicks I tried a box of Green Tag. My 10-22T just loves it, darn near shoots the same hole at 50yrds. CCI standard velocity was pretty good too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 10/22 has a Clark match bull barrel, and shoots it's best with Eley 10x, 50 yd groups are 1/2" for 10 shots. It also shoots the Eley club match fairly well.

I usually shoot bulk ammo, as it'll still shoot 1" at 50 yds for 10 shots. If you have a factory 10/22, you're better off putting $ into replacing the barrel rather than running expensive match fodder through the factory tube.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My 10/22 shoots Wolf Match Target very well with some Eley not far behind. For hunting, I like Win. Power Point ammo, which is also very accurate and more effective on game.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks fellas! Great responses.

What I'm hoping to learn from everyone is where to 'concentrate' my efforts in picking 'accurate' .22 ammo - but not to compete with at this time.

Rather I'm putting together a small 'rainy day' stash of specialized .22 ammo that includes Mini-Mags (or similar fodder), Velocitors (most powerful 40grain load currently available), CB Shorts and Longs, .22 Target Shorts (CCI), and at least one subsonic load (at @1050-1080fps).

The 'really accurate' subsonics I hope to focus on might prove spendy, but I'm willing $100-worth.

Thanks again guys. grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
DO try the CCI and Winchester subsonic HP loads, my 455 is showing some signs that it likes that load a lot. Remington's SS stuff is priced okay, but it's typical Remington rimfire reliability rules it out. I know a lot of folks who swear by RWS SS for squirrel hunting, it's "not unreasonably" priced.

Subsonics sometimes choke and puke an autoloader, even the 10/22s, so don't be surprised if it happens, just move on to something else.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

What I'm hoping to learn from everyone is where to 'concentrate' my efforts in picking 'accurate' .22 ammo - but not to compete with at this time.

If that is the purpose of this thread, you are literally wasting your time.

And that is the sad truth.

YOUR RIFLE- not anecdotes from well meaning posters , will prove the pudding.

In a Ruger 10/22 stay away from ANY brands of loose bulk packed ammo for the sake of reliability.

Other than that, there is no telling WHAT type of ammo your rifle will like without shooting it.. Especially, if it does not have a true short throated match chamber.

I've shot many hundred of rimfire rifles and tens of thousand of rounds of ammo over 30 + years to find that out.

Every rifle is so individual you simply must must go out and buy as many different types and shoot them in your gun. Go with the cheapest an easiest to get first, and work you way UP the expense ladder.

When you get the amount of accuracy you want. STOP and then RUN to wherever you bought it and buy more- preferably of that lot. But "Accuracy testing" ammo in your rifle based on 'net reports is silly..

As an example of this- I give you the 550 BULK PACKED stuff made by Remington. For years, everyone has been complaining about poor the reliability is in auto loaders. Which is true.

You would think, that such "unreliable crap" would never group well in anything.

And yet, I have shot that SAME ammo over the years in some well built 22s like CZ 452s etc and "GUESS WHAT".In ALL of them ,it shoots at least 3/4" at 50 yards and in several of them crowds 1/2".

In a fixed breech gun, misfires are rare and it' is great ammo for shooting vermin.

If I only bought ammo based on the internet anecdotes, I would have never tried it out.

Last edited by jim62; 02/25/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
40 gr Mini-Mags. The second most accurate was 36gr Mini-Mags.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jim62. I've had the same luck with the older remington ammo that you state, but their new stuff is very much lacking. As far as bulk pack ammo, the federal hollowpoint champions are great in my 10-22. Once again you are correct, don't believe what you read on the internet. The OP needs to try different ammo out for himself.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,320
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.