laugh laugh laugh

maddog

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah...and its lighter without the Bubba-Buddy....

I'm just sayin..... whistle

??

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
inside joke between me and Ingwe.....nylon cartridge butt cuff on the stock. wink

maddog

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If they weren't made to have a sling why would they have sling swivels?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On my one and only trip so far, I took a Mountain Sling. It's very light, doesn't slip and can be used as a quick support when shooting. I use one quite a bit hunting here in the states. For me a sling is more than a carry strap. I hunted Namibia, part of the time, in the northcentral area. We climbed a bunch of kopjes. I needed both hands to climb. The sling was handy. We also did quite a bit of walking around and glassing. It was handy here as well. But it's what you want that matters.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll throw in my two cents smile When I was doing a lot of wet weather bear hunts, I had one of those quick adjusting synthetic super type slings that worked well with the exception that the material would slip off my shoulder under certain conditions. I corrected this by using Aquaseal neoprene glue. Aquaseal adheres and leaves a durable thin self-leveling coating on the synthetic material. I coated the section of sling that made direct contact to my shoulder and it completely eliminated any slipage making for a very comfortable sling.

With that said, I switched to the 1" Montana sling on my hunting rifles and no longer use anything else. The slings are very light, something like 5-ounces, and they are 10,000% better than synthetics, even when completely soaked. The Montana sling is brilliant in its simplicity.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/15/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I think that I took my Brownells Latigo sling with me, I never used it. While practicing at the range with shooting sticks, I felt that the sling was a complete PITA when it came to getting on the sticks quickly. Also, the brush in the Limpopo area we hunted, was too thick to have a sling dangling from the rifle.

Jeff

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
maddog,
My hunting partner put me onto an unusual synthetic black sling from www.sloganoutdoors.com. I intend to have it on my Ruger in early Aug. in ZIM.
Brittman

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by maddog
So you're sayin I should practice my Craig Boddington carry? grin

maddog

That must involve carrying the rifle so that the brand name is always visible... wink

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Murray Custom Leather slings work for me. For me it was no problem when hunting DG, in fact I was GlAD I had it after hours and hours... and hours! of tracking buffalo with an 11lb rifle and when the time came to whack a buffalo, it just came off my shoulder on to the twin sticks and boom, dead buffalo. jorge

buff kill

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will gives another thumbs up for Murry Custom Leather slings.
http://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

They come in 2 colors-black or brown. I like the brown slings best as the color doesn't clash with my brown eyes and safari ensemble.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RAC

I like the brown slings best as the color doesn't clash with my brown eyes and safari ensemble.

laugh laugh laugh

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

It's obvious.....

Safari sling.

Just bein' silly laugh

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I second the Slogan Outdoors slings. They do everything you want, but they are not leather. Great product.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I second the canvas traderkeith recommendation--great stuff. Its a little wider and lighter than my favorite leather (dick murray) sling. For 5 or 10 mile stalks you'll be glad to have it!

PS. I think the cobra slings look like crap...IMHO.

-GDOG

-George
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Used a Brownell's Latigo 1 1/4" leather sling with QD swivels in Zim in 2008 after elephant. When in the thick stuff removed it but otherwise used it for carrying the rifle. Never had any problems and it added ~8 oz. for recoil mitigation. Beats carrying the rifle in the hand mile after mile. Most of southern Africa is dry during the usual hunting season, so leather is not a problem.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mouse
If you need a sling, and I wouldn't know why not, try.

Trader Keith's

I've got one for my double and it's a great sling. Might have to get another for my 416 as well.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mouse
If you need a sling, and I wouldn't know why not, try.

Trader Keith's

Mouse

I don't remember if they came from Trader Keith, But this style of canvas/leather sling is what I use. I like it so I haven't tried the others.

Brazos Jack

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, I like the Latigo sling from Brownells.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boyd's makes some nice slings. Montana makes a pretty nice one too.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.