Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'm hoarding .22lr ammo, T.P., and tobacco. Figure it'll buy anything I need.

Great Waputi speaks great wisdom.

Let me add; "Lay low and don't draw attention to yourself." to the answers so far.

Also, stockpile any medications you may need.

GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Maybe those atomic bomb shelter folks back in the 50's had it right. You get the wife and kids in your personal underground bunker, lock the blast proof door, and don't come out for a decade or so.

if we did that, there would be no survivors....we'd kill each other in about a month.

Well there is that little problem to take into consideration. Guess it wasn't a problem back in the 50's when every wife and kid loved. honored and obeyed the husband/father without question laugh

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were to plan for something like that I'd stockpile one pistol and one rifle caliber only. Can't see an advantage to running 9s and 45s in two different magazines in pistols that use two different parts kits. Same / Same for long guns. I wouldn't even worry that much about a pistol.

The exception would be to add a 10/22 and a bazillion rounds for anything that wasn't angry.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...and a pump shotgun.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never warmed up to scatterguns, mostly because I can't hit stuff in the air no matter how hard I try.

To face the end of the world I'd say a pump is low capacity, slow to reload and hard to carry ammo for. They do specialized things very well, but other options will cover a lot more ground.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Peanut butter and crackers would keep my family going a long time. Tuna fish, pickles, anything that doesn't require refrigeration would be good to stock up on.
Clean drinking water might be hard to find depending on where you live.
Toilet paper might be the new currency in the event of a Wall Street Crash. grin grin grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I forgot to add a generator. Life without electricity sucks hard.
Forget the sniper rifle. Get a shotgun and lots of buckshot.
People get brave at night when you can't use your sights.
Review what happened after Katrina. It might be better to leave the area and make a strategic withdrawal. grin
Some big dogs might be nice while walking the perimeter. grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WATER,.....our first need.

Bears SERIOUS pondering, that supply.

Municipal systems, once "Shut down",....do not recommission "Clean".

Best regards,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The more I hear about the ongoing crisis around the world and the draconian policies of our own regime, my thoughts are turning to planning for anarchy in the US should something big happen (ie. nuclear detonation in one or more of our largest cities; total collapse of our monetary system; a breakdown of our food supply/distribution, etc) The more I think about it the more glum it appears for city dwellers such as myself. I rely on our current distribution system of food, gasoline and utilities distribution as well as reliable electronic communications systems, etc. If something were to happen and one needed to protect his family who has thought about what weapons would work? Also, what about a sniper rig in a political situation that may evolve into guerilla warfare?

Currently I am counting on gathering together my children and their families in the event of a widespread anarchy situation. That would mean equipping four men with weapons and ammo (9mm, .45ACP, .223 and .308). I have settled on two Marlin Camp rifles with matching handguns/magazines (S&W Mod 59 in 9mm and 1911 .45ACP) as well as a Mini-14 in .223 and an Icon Preditor Hunter in .223 (sniper) along with several more 1911s and a Browning Hi-Power. I am currently looking for a .308 sniper rig as well. Leaning toward an FN or Savage rifle.

Any thoughts on this?

Water rises to the top of the list pretty quick. Being in town could suck pretty bad.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Water would be the least of my worries here.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had a little glimpse of that this past summer when the flooding knocked out our city water system for a few days. I live within five minutes of a shopping center, and was there right after the city made the announcement, and all the bottled water was gone. The city arranged to have supplies trucked in, so in about a day things were pretty good as far as potable water.

What was disconcerting is that for the next couple of days the supermarket parking lots were jammed, and I don't think it was just for water. Folks were hoarding. Gave me an eerie feeling, and made me think.

The system was back up and running in a few days. Not to start a govt./private pizzing match, but ours is a city water system, and you couldn't have asked for a better job to have been done, especially by the engineers and the guys down in the trenches. I doubt many private companies could have done as well.

And nobody who knows me would call me a fan of our local government, especially the people at the top who run it, but I have to give credit where it's due.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byc

and whiskey!

Note to self: buy a half gallon of good whiskey every payday...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
goes to show how any bit of civility deteriorates the first hint of a scare.
make it a nationwide scare and wow.

take fuel for example, what if to protest the expense of fuel, truckers/firms went on strike? or worse yet we run out of fuel. talk about "eat thy neighbor" mentality.

hate to think about it, and like to think it won't, but I've seen enough evidence to know it WILL happen at the current rate of consumption vs production. its just a matter of time

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by arctic338
Originally Posted by arctic338
Don't worry about the tin foil hat comments. Even saw a one hour feature on the History Channel last night about how to survive after the SHTF. Look at how the unionistas are acting in Wisconsin, Ohio etc. to get a preview of coming attractions. Only it will be much worse when you take food and other necessities away from the "entitlement" crowd. It will look more like Libya/Egypt/Greece. Add in the never ending flow of illegals and the mideast situation and there is legitimate cause for concern. I prefer to be prepared rather than be like Nero and fiddle (or make tin foil hat comments) while Rome/America burns. Not like we haven't seen them setting fire to Detroit, LA etc. before.

Exactly who was it setting fires in Detroit, LA, and/or looting in places like New Orleans? Ever seen anything like that happen in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana?...

Guess I am missing the intent of your reply as I didn't mention any of those four states. In fact I live in Alaska and it hasn't happened here either. Because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. Can I see possible riots in say Anchorage? Yes, anywhere you have people with the entitlement mindset and who can't take care of themselves. Granted there are far fewer of those folks in the states you mentioned and up here!

The riots you cited can be traced to one specific factor, can they not? Last summer when the hills around San Diego burned and people were packed into the stadium for days on end, how'd they behave compared those during Katrina? What do you think the difference was?

For the most part, civilized people will act in a civilized manner, even under stress.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by byc

and whiskey!

Note to self: buy a half gallon of good whiskey every payday...

Note to both of us....don't drink the SHTF whiskey until SHTF!!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You just absolutely NAILED something, my friend !

Witness the "Clean Up" and rescue efforts taking place in Christchurch, as we peck.

"For the most part, civilized people will act in a civilized manner, even under stress"

+ 1000

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JIM IN IDAHO - " Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics. Being able to defend yourself is certainly important, but as already mentioned, food, potable water and medicine would have higher priorities than the ability to repel boarders.

As would sanitation supplies and how to use them when regular services are down or non-existent.

Throughout the world's written history, more people have been killed by, or died as a result of filth (poor sanitation) than all the wars combined.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Maybe those atomic bomb shelter folks back in the 50's had it right. You get the wife and kids in your personal underground bunker, lock the blast proof door, and don't come out for a decade or so.

you ain't ever been snowed in for a couple days, have you? smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
JIM IN IDAHO - " Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics. Being able to defend yourself is certainly important, but as already mentioned, food, potable water and medicine would have higher priorities than the ability to repel boarders.

As would sanitation supplies and how to use them when regular services are down or non-existent.

Throughout the world's written history, more people have been killed by, or died as a result of filth (poor sanitation) than all the wars combined.

L.W.

Yah, didn't use Vood Ash,....on dere' poop, for starters.

GTC

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 673, 18 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,128
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.