-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Throw in some firearms in highly available civilian catridges such as a .357 Mag, .30-06, .30-30, .22 RF, 12 ga and 20 ga.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paul39
I live within five minutes of a shopping center, and was there right after the city made the announcement, and all the bottled water was gone.

You'll probably find a lot of that bottled water was out the back for the staff. That was a common thing in the Christchurch earthquake, as soon as one hit the staff at the markets were taking water and other supplies out the back for them and their families and friends. Same with gas canisters for stoves etc.

The original international turd
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot depends also on how long you expect it to last.
Guns and ammo are great until the supply of ammo dries up.

A lot of the serious preppers have BP flintlock rifles and shotguns for if it becomes a long term situation.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back in the 70's, we had Carter as President. The economy was a freekin mess, high interest and inflation.
The SHTF discussions were a big topic then too.
People bought and moved to rural retreats, stocked supplies of all kinds.
Think of what you would NEED to survive for a period of time, along with some trade goods for barter.
Tis a daunting, and scary thing.
Would you turn away your friends and niebhors if they came to you hungry?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
water filtration pumps and potable aqua tablets are stockpiled here. lots of dried beans and rice. flour. salt.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody ever read this guy's stuff, he went thru the meltdown in Argentina... http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WARNING: if you store extra TP out in the garage.... The mice WILL find it.... Damn rodents....

Sure would like to be able to. find metal garbage cans..... Vermin in these parts seem extra determined...

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The more I hear about the ongoing crisis around the world and the draconian policies of our own regime, my thoughts are turning to planning for anarchy in the US should something big happen (ie. nuclear detonation in one or more of our largest cities; total collapse of our monetary system; a breakdown of our food supply/distribution, etc) The more I think about it the more glum it appears for city dwellers such as myself. I rely on our current distribution system of food, gasoline and utilities distribution as well as reliable electronic communications systems, etc. If something were to happen and one needed to protect his family who has thought about what weapons would work? Also, what about a sniper rig in a political situation that may evolve into guerilla warfare?

Currently I am counting on gathering together my children and their families in the event of a widespread anarchy situation. That would mean equipping four men with weapons and ammo (9mm, .45ACP, .223 and .308). I have settled on two Marlin Camp rifles with matching handguns/magazines (S&W Mod 59 in 9mm and 1911 .45ACP) as well as a Mini-14 in .223 and an Icon Preditor Hunter in .223 (sniper) along with several more 1911s and a Browning Hi-Power. I am currently looking for a .308 sniper rig as well. Leaning toward an FN or Savage rifle.

Any thoughts on this?

I don't have any guns crazy You do? I just hang out on here to live vicariously through others. whistle

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
xxclaro . . . I'm assuming you have plenty of streams in your part of Canada. There are hand held "straw filters" from which you can drink straight from any open water body and the replaceable filter strains out the impurities. Attach a hand pump to it and you can draw enough water for cooking, washing, etc. Just some additional thoughts.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a pet chupacabra to repel zombies and such.....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by arctic338
I prefer to be prepared rather than be like Nero and fiddle (or make tin foil hat comments) while Rome/America burns. Not like we haven't seen them setting fire to Detroit, LA etc. before.

Exactly who was it setting fires in Detroit, LA, and/or looting in places like New Orleans? Ever seen anything like that happen in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana?...

grin Yeah but you're sitting pretty close to the Yellowstone caldera...it's overdue from what I understand.

if it goes ya'll go...

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When the law forbids straws and pumps, only outlaws will have them.

Suck Pond scum, all other Honkies.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by arctic338
I prefer to be prepared rather than be like Nero and fiddle (or make tin foil hat comments) while Rome/America burns. Not like we haven't seen them setting fire to Detroit, LA etc. before.

Exactly who was it setting fires in Detroit, LA, and/or looting in places like New Orleans? Ever seen anything like that happen in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana?...

grin Yeah but you're sitting pretty close to the Yellowstone caldera...it's overdue from what I understand.

if it goes ya'll go...

[Linked Image]

THAT looks to be playing hell with the Shrimp fishery.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
not to mention , "Golf Vacations".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
When the law forbids straws and pumps, only outlaws will have them.

Suck Pond scum, all other Honkies.

GTC

You crack me up! grin

Entertaining threads like this are why I keep coming back as a fly on the wall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
nothing wrong with you weapons choices if they work for you....a more daunting task would be the logistics of food, water, medical supplies, sanitation, etc for such a large group of people in the event of a meltdown. sounds like you need to plan for a platoon sized unit....and prepare accordingly.

I'll tell ya' what,

......Re : people who aren't FIRST AND FOREMOST focused on the logistics you call out,....and instead obsess about firepower, and firepower alone ?

They'll more then likely be SUPPLYING those who did with arms and ammo, and the greater majority posthumously, I'd venture.

"Well , we got guns,....let's go get some." ......totally predictable.

As is their subsequent (and self expedited) demise.

GTC

Absolutely, 100% correct.

City people have this notion of arming themselves to the teeth and then... what... spilling out into the countryside looking for a gunfight?! This isn't the movies where the bad guys always miss while the good guys pick off the inept bad guys like a video game.

You REALLY want to be ready, buy some cheap land, preferably with water or at least a cistern or large tank, and get a cabin put in. If the SHTF, proceed to said cabin AVOIDING THE USE OF GUNS AT ALL COSTS. Well, almost all costs. smile

That said, forget the mini-14; get a couple cheap AR15's instead. And a couple Glocks. For .308 keep it simple- Rem SPS or the like.

If this really happened, what'd end up being most valuable would be a .22 and a shotgun, though. You can buy single-shot shotguns brand new for $100. .22's aren't much more.

At my country place we have water covered (lol), heat for the house/cabin covered for life, we keep a lot of food on hand. I have a whole seperate 1000 ft/2 insulated building that could house many in a pinch. Long-term, food is a biggie. Those articles everywhere now about feeding your family from a backyard garden... rendering raccoons for lamp oil... etc... total BS. It takes a LOT of work to grow a lot of food, and that's from someone with basically all the land I want to work. So if you truly plan on this, you better make sure your cabin is on very good soil, and has reliable water, and you better have a good tiller or small tractor, and help, and luck (the farmer's secret weapon, or nemesis, depending).

What I still need is a big gas/diesel tank and a REAL generator. The generators i want (3-cyl diesel) cost enough to have held me back, and i cant see much point in a cheapo genset... And some new Claymores. Mine are getting old-looking out there. whistle

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the SHTF it's survival of the fittest.
I intend to eat the unfit first, all those maccas addicts and burger king junkies will be a feast for the taking. There's enough fat on them that rending racoons for lamp oil won't be necessary, I'll just melt them down or stick a wick up their a$$ and turn them into candles.

Watch zombieland, it states in there that the fatties are the first to die...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cases of rifles. Boxes of pistols. Isolated 200 miles from the city. Four fully stocked cabins scattered along 15 miles of line. Traps stored and live at a each cabin. Lots of wood for stoves. Tools both hand and power. Fuel on hand for about 3 years if I stretched it out. Phone books up the yingyang for TP. They stack and store easier. I think I could survive it but it will be ugly to say the least. Plenty of ammo, powder and gold for trading stock even. And a few people I can trust to help out and me with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The more I hear about the ongoing crisis around the world and the draconian policies of our own regime, my thoughts are turning to planning for anarchy in the US should something big happen (ie. nuclear detonation in one or more of our largest cities; total collapse of our monetary system; a breakdown of our food supply/distribution, etc) The more I think about it the more glum it appears for city dwellers such as myself. I rely on our current distribution system of food, gasoline and utilities distribution as well as reliable electronic communications systems, etc. If something were to happen and one needed to protect his family who has thought about what weapons would work? Also, what about a sniper rig in a political situation that may evolve into guerilla warfare?

Currently I am counting on gathering together my children and their families in the event of a widespread anarchy situation. That would mean equipping four men with weapons and ammo (9mm, .45ACP, .223 and .308). I have settled on two Marlin Camp rifles with matching handguns/magazines (S&W Mod 59 in 9mm and 1911 .45ACP) as well as a Mini-14 in .223 and an Icon Preditor Hunter in .223 (sniper) along with several more 1911s and a Browning Hi-Power. I am currently looking for a .308 sniper rig as well. Leaning toward an FN or Savage rifle.

Any thoughts on this?

Jesus Christ!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by byc
I'm hoarding .22lr ammo, T.P., and tobacco. Figure it'll buy anything I need.

and whiskey!

Farkin' A. Logistics man, LOGISTICS!

grin

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.