OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
smile

Last edited by william clunie; 03/03/11. Reason: waste of time

William Clunie
S
S
I have done some testing on it and wrote an article on the whole thing here..> Southern Muzzleloading - Bore Butter Debate: The Results

It has its place in my loading box, makes a great natural lube for PRB and often finds its way onto fiber shotgun wads. But I had horrible results with it as the sole storage product. I still have an open call to T/C to address it as I would love to get some feedback from the mfg.

Your always going to get a mixed bag of answers when you post or talk to other front stuffer shooters on the range. Some have tried it and seem to think its great, others have tried it and have had similar results to mine. The debate is always going to continue however as few seem to give any weight to any negative experience when they have not experienced it themselves. You must be lying or doing something wrong if it didnt work for you.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by swampgeek
I have done some testing on it and wrote an article on the whole thing here..> Southern Muzzleloading - Bore Butter Debate: The Results

It has its place in my loading box, makes a great natural lube for PRB and often finds its way onto fiber shotgun wads. But I had horrible results with it as the sole storage product. I still have an open call to T/C to address it as I would love to get some feedback from the mfg.

Your always going to get a mixed bag of answers when you post or talk to other front stuffer shooters on the range. Some have tried it and seem to think its great, others have tried it and have had similar results to mine. The debate is always going to continue however as few seem to give any weight to any negative experience when they have not experienced it themselves. You must be lying or doing something wrong if it didnt work for you.

Swampy,
Not much of a test. At one point, you admit it yourself. Check out this link. The fellow did a much more thorough test and shows how critics of WonderLube are wrong.

www.jesseshunting.com/articles/guns/category16/63.html

William Clunie
S
S
William, the author of that article admits that he got away with his test partly due to local weather conditions. I see not one point in that article where the author attempts shows critics wrong, he simply tested it much in the way I did and happen to get better results.

How on this green earth do you expect me to do a more "thorough" test with rusty bores? I won't subject a brand spanking new , spotless barrel to that just to get results that are more in line with what you think they should be. Point blank in my experience it failed to work as fully advertised. Again it has its uses but doesn't live up to its billing.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
swampgeek,
I'm just saying your testing was incomplete/invalid. What you are seeing as rust isn't rust. The first few patches pulled through a WonderLubed barrel come out brown. It's a simple mistake that many folks make (and an easy one), after all...rust IS brown. If you are using very hot water and thoroughly drying the bore before lubing, there won't be any real rusting. Hunters have been using WonderLube for many years with fine results.

William Clunie
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by william clunie
What you are seeing as rust isn't rust. The first few patches pulled through a WonderLubed barrel come out brown. It's a simple mistake that many folks make (and an easy one), after all...rust IS brown. If you are using very hot water and thoroughly drying the bore before lubing, there won't be any real rusting.
My findings exactly.

S
S
William,

I'm not sure if you can tell the difference between a darkening of a wax and natural oil product and surface oxidation in a bore, but it is an obvious difference. Not sure if you have seen fresh surface oxidation but it usually is not brown. Invalid testing due to rusting, not dark wax is laughable as the product claims to be a rust inhibitor.

Attempting to insult my intelligence is not going to deflect the fact that not everyone has the results that you so intently would like them to have. Using your logic should I tell you what you are doing wrong simply because we have had different experiences? I find this humorous, talking about bore butter amongst a group of front-stuffer shooters is worse than politics. This is the sort of thing that keeps people away from forums.

Try this on for a theory, environmental conditions probably play a large role in this testing.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Swampgeek,
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. You are doing a great job of it all by yourself. Like...if discussing this topic on this forum is so humorous, don't come back. Three posts and already you've come on with a defensive attitude. Relax.
All I'm saying is that my results differ from yours. And so do bazillions of other BP shooters that have been doing this for years. So don't be threatened or insulted, just go about doing what you do. I don't want to convince you otherwise. I'm just pointing out to others that there is a time-tested method here for those willing to keep an open mind.

William Clunie
S
S
Hah, open minded...is that before or after you have lampooned the people in this thread that you don't agree with, go back a few pages and look at your own open minded attitude. You make vieled attacks and then recoil and try to save face when you get called out.

As I said humorous. I'm done with this continue on with your games.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Swampgeek,
You are reading WAY too much into this. Your "test" was a failure and you are upset with those that disagree. Don't take it so hard.
Nothing "vieled" here. You seem to know everything already, so I'll end this discussion with you also.

William Clunie
S
S
Ok you baited so I will bite.

The test was my observations of the product applied per the mfg instructions and using only recommended cleaning products made by the same mfg. Despite following best practices and the instructions rust devolped in the bore during storage. So in essence you are calling my methods in to question, and then expect me not to defend it.

That being said all I did was post my observations as well as a few opinions on the product. At which point you took it upon yourself to tell me what I was doing wrong and then jump to your own conclusions about what I observed. Your arrogance is not at all astounding and quite common on the internet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
its pretty simple really, for rust prevention there are a lot of products on the market that do a heck of a lot better than bore butter could ever dream of.

I wonder if the mountain men argued over this?

Deer fats better at preventing rust!!

Noooooo! Bear fat is better!

Bull crud! Buffler fat is better!

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Swampgeek,
You are stating your opinion and I'm stating mine, and you call me arrogant? Sorry to have bruised your ego, but I was just pointing out a complete test (the link) that countered the results of your incomplete test. Facts are facts.
Calling me names is childish and boring.

William Clunie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
theres been a lot more testing than swampgeeks write up, bore butter has never passed tests that the pros did.

I used it years ago and always had a rusted up stainless steel barrel with the stuff.

Some people have rust problems with rem oil.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455
theres been a lot more testing than swampgeeks write up, bore butter has never passed tests that the pros did.

I used it years ago and always had a rusted up stainless steel barrel with the stuff.

Some people have rust problems with rem oil.

BigBlock,
If you would, please include all of these tests you are speaking of in your next response. I really am interested in seeing them.

William Clunie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
sure, i'll get some links later tonight.

Busy working on my sidelock right now

S
S
Hey bear fat is good, or did you say beer?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by william clunie
Swampgeek, You are stating your opinion and I'm stating mine, and you call me arrogant?

William, the way I read it, Swampgeek is saying he got rust in his barrel, and you're telling him he didn't.

If I were him, I'd say that's on the arrogant side--you weren't there, so how do you know he didn't have rust?

For pure rust prevention, there are better products abailable, and that's a fact.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
S
William I think you missed the point that we both use the product, it just does not work as rust prohibitor. If you lived in north louisiana I think we could compare apples to apples. I have read the article you posted long before I wrote mine and honestly if he had rusting issues do you really think he would have continued?

You label mine as incomplete, so be it. I will not ruin a barrel of a firearm I built and that will one day will hopefully be passed on to my son or daughter to meet your impossible definition of completeness. If you would have said swampgeek this article has a different results..that is far different from the approach you took. You are missing a whole host of environmental, metal quality and other variables that may explain the varied experience that people have with this product. Simply labeling a test invalid because the product failed on arguably the most important criteria is mind boggling.

I still have an open call to the mfg that has yet to be answered. A quick google search will show you that people have highly varied experiences both positive and negative. Am I wrong in assuming you think anyone in the negative column is doing something wrong?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.