Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Haven�t read all the posts but I�ll throw in my 2 cents anyway because I have some experience with the �TC Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter� and validation to go with it, not sure if it�s the same stuff as the OP �WonderLube 1000�. I shoot a 50 GPH flint with powerbelts. The only powder I�ve ever used in it is T7 loose and I�ve used 4f black and now null-b for ignition. A few years ago I started using Bore Butter exclusively, absolutely nothing else ever, no solvent, no water, no soap, no spit.

I shoot one time, butter a patch and push it all the way down and up, turn the patch over and swab the barrel in strokes top to bottom, run a dry patch down and up, shoot again. I�ll do this exactly the same indefinitely until I�m done shooting. In the field if I need a second shot I don�t worry about it I just reload. When I�m done shooting in the field or from the bench I do the above twice and in addition I�ll run down a final moderate to heavy coated patch of bore butter without following with a dry patch. That�s it, period! it may be in the safe until next year or until the next hunt. I don�t remove the barrel, I will clean the external area of the breech very well with butch�s solvent because the blackpowder gets that area grimy. I�ll wipe ALL external metal with a visible film of bore butter.

Today I got it out for a texas hunt in a couple weeks and because of this thread I ran the bore scope down. The last time I shot or cleaned this was after a moose hunt in Newfoundland in September. With a 17� borescope and a 32� barrel this is about � the barrel. I see what I believe is some embedded gold color that I suspect is from the gold plating on the powerbelts, there are a couple of very small tan spots that �may or may not� be extremely fine surface rust, just wouldn�t know for sure without running a patch down and have it chemically tested, really minor. Either way it isn�t something I would give a second thought. IMO this barrel is in excellent condition.

Quality of video isn�t great because the depth of field is extremely small and moving the scope in a huge 50 cal bore causes it to go out of focus and picasa degrades the quality when you upload. There is one squiggly aberration about halfway that is a piece of patch fuzz.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tundragriz/BoreVideos#5583400052852085970

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
GB1

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Tundragriz,
I've had the same good luck as you indicate here. Well, maybe it's not luck.

William Clunie
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have used Bore Butter almost exclusively since getting my BP rifle some years ago. However, I haven't had it out for some years, but did get it out yesterday. I had put bore butter in the barrel after cleaning it some years ago as I had read in an article back then to do. Well, on getting it out yesterday there was no rust evident.

I used to lube patches also. I am a novice at this so bare with me. I have always understood that a person wants the fowling to remain soft. If it gets hard accuracy will suffer and loading will be difficult. How would a petroleum based product not cause the fowling to harden? It sounds like it does, but then again there are products I have tried. Also, wouldn't a non petroleum pruduct or natural help keep the fowling softer?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Same deal here. One of my sidelocks has been with me since new, 13 years ago. Literally thousands of rounds through it, 50 - 75 deer. I just shoot a lot for fun. Borebutter since new, and it still looks new. Also one of the most accurate muzzleloaders I have, around an inch, 3 shot, 100yards. Very consistant with different projctiles. Always meticulous about cleaning.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455
theres been a lot more testing than swampgeeks write up, bore butter has never passed tests that the pros did.

I used it years ago and always had a rusted up stainless steel barrel with the stuff.

Some people have rust problems with rem oil.

BigBlock,
Still waiting on the test results from the "pros" when you get a chance.
Thanks,

William Clunie
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I must have asked a tough question.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I must have asked a tough question.

No tougher than this one:

How would a petroleum based product not cause the fowling to harden?

The objective test results that bigblock posted are interesting, check 'em out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
its not just bore butter. Even montana xtreme let rust form on the outside of barrels in a 2 week rust test i performed.
http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/t1941-rust-prevention-tests

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
?? Montana Extreme is an ammonia oil copper solvent.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yes montana xtreme gun oil is what i used. The bores were protected just fine but its not really a good oil to use for external rust protection as it turned out.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It is just old school. Good Stuff.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
BigBlock,
Thanks for the links. I keep my rifles in a safe with an electric (gold rod) device that stops moisture. Maybe that's why I've never experienced the rust problem found (while using bore butter/wonderlube) in the tests you have provided?

William Clunie
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by william clunie
BigBlock,
Thanks for the links. I keep my rifles in a safe with an electric (gold rod) device that stops moisture. Maybe that's why I've never experienced the rust problem found (while using bore butter/wonderlube) in the tests you have provided?
Nope, that don't account for it. Mine hangs on pegs on the living room wall and humidity runs 90% here all summer. No rust inside or out after 10 years.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by william clunie
BigBlock,
Nope, that don't account for it. Mine hangs on pegs on the living room wall and humidity runs 90% here all summer. No rust inside or out after 10 years.

Hey, I'm just trying to allow room for error...being the polite fellow that I am.
smile

William Clunie
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I guess ill add my 2 cents
I would agree that lubes are one of those things that is just a individual as loads.
Everyone has a different one and what works for one many times wont work for the next .
When it comes to seasoning barrels . The steels used today for gun barrels , do not season like an old iron barrel would . What they do, is wear in or break in . thus all those little sharp edges , micro scratches �.. All begin to smooth out or fill in . these are the areas where the iron of the barrel can begin to rust , pit and such .
These same things are what causes accuracy problems and why many time one sees accuracy improve after a given number of shots .
Its also why many folks seek out request the best barrels they can .

As to wonder lube .
Now I know that some of you like it and have had good results . But frankly I don�t .
IMO it sucks . In fact I don�t believe there is a worse product on the market when it comes to rust prevention or patch lube . In fact I believe this so much that when folks ask me what lube to use in the rifles I build . I tell them anything other then wonder lube / bore butter . A good quality Gun lube or oil will protect your muzzleloader from rust just as well as it will your center fires .
I would agree though that wonder lube does work well as a bullet lube . Just not for much of anything else .
Now there was a product called black duck . I really liked that . But you don�t see it hardly at all anymore . Pyrodex also had a lube . It wasn�t as good as Black duck IMO but it was close and still far better then Wonder lube / bore butter

When my wife started out she insisted on using it in her long rifle . She simply did not care to use a spit patch or other wet patch concoctions .
It took about 2 years of being sick and tiered of having to stop my shooting so as to clean her barrel � Getz� so she could again load . Now that she has switched to a wet patch , I don�t hear a peep out of here even after 30+shots

One thing that I have noticed is that those who often use higher charges have less issues with wonder lube then those using lower charges . So in all fairness maybe there is something to that . Maybe that�s how TC got 1000 shots . I don�t know . But I don�t see folks who use it on the range , getting even 5% of those numbers before they are hammering loads down or swabbing the bore . Me included

As to the rust issue and brown cleaning patch�s .
As the lube dries , it becomes hard and gummy like any grease does . I also don�t believe it coats the bore well regardless of how many times you swipe it down there . So IMO the brown color is not only small amounts of flash rust , but also the color of the dried lube .
I think most of us would never let a gun set long enough to see rust that would completely damage a barrel . that�s normally an accumulative issue .
If one however wants to see how wonder lube works . Just open an old box of conical and see how the lead has oxidized and how hard the lube is in the groves .
But again this is accumulative and takes time to happen .

When it comes to natural lubes compared to petroleum based . With modern barrels I think its more important not to be switching back and forth . Stick with one , quality type and you should not see any real problems .

Anyway . Those are my thoughts . If you like wonder lube/ bore butter ha go for it . But myself I think there are a whole lot of better concoctions that a person could be using that will protect the bore far better and give you a whole lot more shooting without swabbing between shots .
Hell I get up to 50 shot �PRB� between swabs , just using plain old spit .
In the end , the old saying of : take care of your gun and it will take care of you .
Still holds true . Myself I clean and lube all my guns at least every 2 months . No mater if I shoot them or not

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by captchee
I would agree that lubes are one of those things that is just a individual as loads.

LOL, cap, lubes are like opinions, everybody's got one?

Seriously though, good post.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, good post Cap. Your experiences mirror mine. I use spit patch PRBs and can shoot all day at a rifle frolic and not have to swab the bore until cleaning time, given good smooth rifling to begin with. (I do switch to a greased patch if the load will stay in the barrel for a while, as in hunting.) Rust prevention afterwards is handled by BreakFree, but that is just my personal preference, testimony provided by zero rust in about 25 years now.

Like I said in an early post in this thread, the offer stands if someone provides the backing for me to prove/disprove the 1000 shot claims by the makers of WonderLube. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Like I said in an early post in this thread, the offer stands if someone provides the backing for me to prove/disprove the 1000 shot claims by the makers of WonderLube. grin

from my exsperiance with shooting PRB and depending on the quality of the barrel work. after around 25 shots , exspecialy with pre lubed patches using bore butter/ wonder lube . you going to need a hammer to seat the ball .
infact i have see it where literaly tha patch sticks and you have to drive the ball through the patch to even seat it ..

right now i have out in my shop a Dauglas barrel that had a stuck cleaning jag .
now granted , accourding to the customer , the barrel has set for around 5 years .

simply put , i could not budge the jag and broken section of RR . which was about 5 inchs from the breech face . i had to de breech the barrel and drive the load out ... on the jag was a pre cut ticking patch that i suspect had wonderlube on it as it looks very much like some of the old dried up borebutter i have
the rifling in that area is ruined
where it was setting . the rifling has not faired well at all

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a shame. Is it long enough to warrant cutting off and re-breaching? My first thought was to send it to Bobby Hoyt and have the bore "freshened" but probably not worth it for a Douglass barrel.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (44automag, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,253 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,128
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.