Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I was 17, had a Smith 686 4in PD trade in that I picked up from J and G for 249.00 out the door, thay had boxes of them. If only I knew then what I know now.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like the term " gun loonie" started at an early age for a lot of us! (grin!)

Virgil B.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Looks like the term " gun loonie" started at an early age for a lot of us! (grin!)

Virgil B.

Hmmm, your post said handgun......I got my first gun when I was 9, Chinese SKS, so techinically that was the first gun kept bedside.....under it actually.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep,

I ment handgun but there are prolly lots of us who started with a shotgun or carbine beside there bed, and still have one, but that would be another thred.

Virgil B.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I read this post to learn something. I didnt so I have a question to ask.

What about the security of the gun when you are not home?
Yes I see many folk have a gun in the night stand etc.
but what if someone comes in looking for ...what ever and grabs it?

I grew up in Chicago my car was broken in quite a bit for that reason I wont keep on in the car but houses also get broken in.
I live in a relatively quite community in Michigan for the last 22 years but you never know.

Just curious

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boatboy my 12ga. pump 590 Mossberg is beside my bed in a locked shotgun rack, nobody is just going to pick it up and fire it without dismanteling my bed and using a hacksaw to cut away the metal rack..............Yea I suppose it could be done but I take precautions when entering my home always and have my 2 CCW guns on my person and so does the wife. Your Right! You never know when a Bad Guy or two is beind your closed doors.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Usually the one I'm carrying, which 90% of the time is my Kahr P9 in 9mm

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Only until more recent years do I keep a handgun near my bedside.

Even then, It often depends upon 'where' I'm sleeping.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
...One night about 3:00 AM he awoke from a strange dream, thought he saw some one standing at the foot of his bed, and blasted a hole right through the face of his stereo...his cowboy hat was sitting on top of the stereo...

...cute story----I had a friend that did a similar thing. He's been sober for quite awhile now but used to hit it pretty heavy. He was a bachelor at the time and had guns lying all over his place. One night after having been partying pretty hard, he heard a noise down the hall. In his words, "I got up, picked up the riot gun laying on the floor by my bed and snuck out into the hall. There at the end of the hall was some son of a bitch in his underwear holding a shotgun. Naturally I shot him----totally ruined that full length mirror!"

A few months later, he was attending the US IPSC Nationals and sharing a room with a couple of other guys. He stayed up late partying and when he finally came in, the other guys had covered all of the mirrors with towels!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started at about 13 with a Colt SAA in .38-40. I had a Winchester 92 in the same caliber. I'd put the two of them on the opposite side from where I slept and put flip the extra blankets over them.

Middle of the night one night I woke up with my back to the window but *knowing* I was being watched. My hand was under the blanket. I rolled over with a handful of SAA with the hammer coming back. The face looking in the window dropped like a rock.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I started at about 13 with a Colt SAA in .38-40. I had a Winchester 92 in the same caliber. I'd put the two of them on the opposite side from where I slept and put flip the extra blankets over them.

Middle of the night one night I woke up with my back to the window but *knowing* I was being watched. My hand was under the blanket. I rolled over with a handful of SAA with the hammer coming back. The face looking in the window dropped like a rock.

Tom
And ... And???!!!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
1978 @ 15yrs. an old S&W K-22, traded it one fall for a chainsaw. youthful brilliance @ its finest.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back in the 90s I kept a S&W Bodyguard 38SPL under my pillow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Yep,

I ment handgun but there are prolly lots of us who started with a shotgun or carbine beside there bed, and still have one, but that would be another thred.

Virgil B.

Virgil ... for me it is a shotgun (unless company is coming over). Figure If I get awakened at 0-dark-thirty, I want point and shoot ... I'm not in the aiming mood ... KISS smile ONLY way I'd go with a handgun first is if its packin' a lazer onboard.

my $0.02 smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shotgun also tends to stop at the wall, a good thing when you are in a rush and not wondering about where else the round is going.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'm guessing around 18 years old is when I got My first handgun, it was a Browning Challenger II .22lr 6" barrel, it stayed by My bed and was My squirrel hunting companion for several years..............Hillbilly.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom
And ... And???!!!

That's pretty much the whole story. I verified the door was locked and pinned (got a padlock hasp on the INSIDE, fits a quarter inch carriage bolt real nicely), closed the curtains, and went back to sleep.

A few years later, my dad said something to someone about it being a real bad idea to look in my bedroom window. He'd never 'fess to that one, though, so I'm not sure if it was coincidence or not.

Living an hour from town, being the last house with public road access, phone, and electricity ... weird [bleep] happened pretty often.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When I go out the door my CCW that I sleep with goes with me, or is locked in the safe and another goes along.

Have two handguns with night sights that glow in the dark. If not for these, it would be a shotgun by the bed.

Also, NO kids in the house, empty nester, so no worry about wall penetration.

If my life is in danger, I'll worry about the big screen TV later...(grin!)

Virgil B.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
When I was about 18. Started with a S&W Highway Patrolman with a 6 inch barrel in .357. Hung it on the bedpost in a shoulder holster. Has varied from time to time to a Sig P220, back to a S&W model 65 and a M&P 40 cal.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by boatboy
I read this post to learn something. I didnt so I have a question to ask.

What about the security of the gun when you are not home?
Yes I see many folk have a gun in the night stand etc.
but what if someone comes in looking for ...what ever and grabs it?

Hank

My gun(s) are either on my person/within arm's reach or locked in a safe. I have a Gunvault in my bedroom for storage/safekeeping. Handy, easy to use, and secure.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,460
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.