Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Whats she use for a rifle Drum?

Thx
Dober

She shoots a 300wsm and she shoots it well. She raised up in that wind and dumped it offhand.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear the story ended with the young lady winning:) Can't wait for the pictures sounds like a fine trophy. Lucky girl also, I put in for sheep every year here in Oregon, I think I'm at about 28 years now trying to draw - someday!!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Whats she use for a rifle Drum?

Thx
Dober

She shoots a 300wsm and she shoots it well. She raised up in that wind and dumped it offhand.

Tell her well done from all of us....glad it worked out for you guys. The cream usually rises to the top!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's right, take the high road as my Dad would say and it's easy to look in the mirror..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds to me like Mr. Taulman needs to get his teeth punched out..

Excellent outcome however!

Last edited by Big8; 03/01/11.

MK
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Drummond,

Outstanding! Sounds like you all did extremely well considering the circumstances.
The little lady also learned what a jerk in the field is like to deal with so hopefully when she has little ones she can pass on some manners.

And we have got to get together on a hunt one day!! You always seem to outdo yourself on each and every hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Glad it worked out for the young lady Drum. Congrats on keeping your cool and seeing the deal through. It worked out as deserved for you guys.

I've got my own George Taulman story involving his SW Kansas whitetail hunts. Approximately 10 years ago, when Kansas still had landowner tags available, Taulman hit up my buddies out of Knowles, OK to hook him up in SW Kansas with the landowner there. Since he broke horses and pumped wells he knew them all within a 150 mile area around Ashland, KS. Henry (my bud), and his son "Pedro" were did so and were hired to guide for him.....the first year it turns out....and I bet you guys know where this is going. Lo and behold, Taulman and his USO outfit does the end run on Henry after the first year, goes directly to the landowners with more $$$, and Henry and Pedro are out. My thinking is if you want to whip his ass you better get in line. He's a POS for sure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had my own run in with USO three years ago in NM unit 15 elk hunt. This was the second year in a row for me and my partner there so we have some good spots lined up. There were several good water holes that had tree stands the year before and we wanted to get in there. We go on a scouting trip in July and the stands are STILL THERE. Now it's fine to do that on private property, but is illegal on National Forest. So we put up two stands of our own only to come back for the hunt and find that they have been cut down and are gone. Asked a hunter there about it and he was hunting with USO. Next time I draw that hunt better not be any stands left from year to year...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Please, somebody beat the [bleep] out of him and let someone else post news of it!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll add the Air Force MPs were as intrusive as any of the hunters. They were buzzing around everywhere and thought nothing of leaving their trucks and hiking over to "see how you're doing". They were nice and courteous, but always looking over your shoulder.

Also, cameras were forbidden on the Range....I guess they though some of us might be enemy agents gathering info on military stuff. I had a tiny APS camera rolled up in an extra pair of socks in my daypack. When the oryx went down, the camera came out for 4 quick pics, then was hastily returned to the pack. I often wonder what would have happened had I been caught with the camera.....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by dawaba
I'll add the Air Force MPs were as intrusive as any of the hunters. They were buzzing around everywhere and thought nothing of leaving their trucks and hiking over to "see how you're doing". They were nice and courteous, but always looking over your shoulder.

Also, cameras were forbidden on the Range....I guess they though some of us might be enemy agents gathering info on military stuff. I had a tiny APS camera rolled up in an extra pair of socks in my daypack. When the oryx went down, the camera came out for 4 quick pics, then was hastily returned to the pack. I often wonder what would have happened had I been caught with the camera.....

Or mentioned it on a public forum.........<grin>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Or mentioned it on a public forum.........<grin>

TFF..

MK
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Where are the pics??? can't hardly wait... congrats on the success and on keeping it cool when someone does not deserve it at all!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I believe in my info pack from the range( i leave for stallion range oryx in 16days that you can take pictures of your animal, just no scenery, backdrop, building etc.
Glad she made out well. I hope mine is a success too.
W.:)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY
I have hunted with Drum, and there is alot of guys I would prolly lock horns with, but he is not one of them. I have seen Drum go, and its not pretty. George prolly has no idea what he missed out on. As for George, he has the Floyd Lee ranch leased which is our ranches Complete East fence line. I have to deal with them every year.

Toby Joe

Thats funny! I am 6'4" and 245lbs but my buddy whos daughter drew the tag makes me look small, hes 6'6" and about 285lbs. Taulman is a ballsy little weasel.

The thought was running through my head that if I whipped his ass and word got out I would never have to buy a drink during hunting season in just about any western state. The man that does is will instantly become a legend. Problem with Taulman is you can bet your ass you'll get sued if you do it

Sounds like Taulman is eventually going to wind up staked out for coyote bait one day and deservedly so.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You need to understand that this is Federal Land.. They do not play. At the minimum you would be banned for life..They could arrest you, and make your life fuggin miserable.. Best not to discuss at all..There are some places out there that are shoot on sight. I have friend that have been caught with cameras..Not pretty..

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Woodsie,
Take your camera and have fun. I thought that the once in lifetime hunt on WSMR was fantastic. Sure, people drive fast out of the parking lot and you'll see more than your share of people that have a different approach to the hunt than you do, but that is a two way street. You'll probably encounter someone that needs a swift kick in the teeth, but the hunt itself is great fun and all of these things contribute to the experience.

This being said, USO doesn't have to worry about getting any of my business.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
dawaba, you knew it was against the rules in the first place didn't you? Doesn't really matter why, or if you or I agree or disagree. On private ground here in Texas, as long as State rules are being followed, the landowner dictates, period. If he tells you not to get off of the road for example, and you do so anyway, prepare to suffer the consequences.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
JG, I understand where you're coming from completely. Rules are rules, and if one chooses to disobey, he must be ready to suffer the consequences.
I have been hunting for over 45 years and have had the good fortune to take many admirable trophies, including 6 that are in the current B&C book. I have taken, and treasure, pictures of every big game animal I've taken since I was 14 years old. These photos are as important to me as the shoulder mounts on the wall.
When I was drawn for the WSMR oryx hunt, I knew it would be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. I also knew that the taking of photos was officially verboten. I struggled with the bitter idea that I should leave my camera at home.
This hunt required that every hunter be accompanied by a "helper". Conveniently, I had a good friend who guides for elk in Units 15 and 16 AND just happens to be a civilian employee of the WSMR. So, I asked him to accompany me. When I mentioned the Air Force policy of denying photos, he boo-hooed it and said not to give it a 2nd thought.
So, after taking my trophy, my camera emerged for a few fast and discreet photos that deliberately omitted any military stuff in the background. The guide thought I was being unecessarily cautious. So....I have a few pics of my oryx to go along with the mount on the wall. FWIW, I now understand photos ARE allowed on the Range.
Of historical note, the first atomic test ever undertaken was at a spot called Trinity Site on the WSMR. Looking north from prominent points in our oryx area, one can plainly appreciate the sparse vegetation that, to this day, is notable within the 100-milisecond area of the blast. I admit I was tempted, but I snapped NO photos. Other hunters had no such misgivings and shot away.
I live in Texas too. This afternoon, I drove from Tyler to Dallas on I-20 and set my cruise control at 72 mph (speed limit--70 mph). I knew perfectly well I was violating the law. Over that 100 mile stretch, I passed 3 or 4 cars. 30 or 40 passed me!
Out of the some-400 hunters on the WSMR that weekend, I wonder how many went home with trophy photos and how many without? I'll bet a 6-pack that >90% have photos of their trophies.
I'm not saying it was right, or ethical. But that's what I did. If some guvmint snoop wants to chase me down, he can have at it. I wonder what the statute of limitations is on such a violation committed in 1999?
Here is a photo of my bull, 36" on the best side and taken on the second morning. I don't believe any military clutter is in the background of this pic, or any other.
I'm not bragging or condoning, just saying how it was.
[Linked Image]

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wasn't judging you, hope you understand that. Cool pic BTW. Congrats on a great trophy.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,265
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.