Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
You dont get stags like that without a LOT of steroids, feed and genetics.

I agree with feed and genetics....but....
I would like to see proof of the use of Steroids, easy claim but not necessarily a fact.

[Linked Image]

This stag is range fed with supplemental minerals....NO GRAIN,NO STEROIDS. I know because I raised him.

Show me some evidence of Steroid use.......

[Linked Image]

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First I'll say I don't hunt game animals on a preserve/shooting estate etc. Birds yes (if they ain't too fat to fly :D) game animals no.

However to cut everybody some slack and especially my bud Mark I don't think we need to get on his case because he's filling a niche in a legal way.

Now there may be lots of good reasons for somebody to use that kind of place. Maybe they can't for some reason go where the wild things are. Maybe they are crippled. Maybe they want to expose a youngster to actually killing something to see how they take it before laying out the frogskins to do a full blown wild hunt deal. You can probably think of more reasons if you try.

As to lying about what you did that is a whole differen deal. If you are going to lie about one thing you will lie about another.

Problem isn't about how you hunt and kill things the problem is how the truth is handled ain't it?

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sherwood
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Canadian stag makes mine look like a dwarf. But I had a great time hunting in southern Ohio. I challenged myself by hunting close with my 30-30 carbine. But the stag was wise and it turned out the be a running shot at 85 yards. The bloody hole in the photo is an exit wound. Typical fine performance 30-30 cartridge!

The venison is most excellent, indeed!

Sherwood

Beautiful Marlin in that first photo!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
First I'll say I don't hunt game animals on a preserve/shooting estate etc. Birds yes (if they ain't too fat to fly :D) game animals no.

However to cut everybody some slack and especially my bud Mark I don't think we need to get on his case because he's filling a niche in a legal way.

Now there may be lots of good reasons for somebody to use that kind of place. Maybe they can't for some reason go where the wild things are. Maybe they are crippled. Maybe they want to expose a youngster to actually killing something to see how they take it before laying out the frogskins to do a full blown wild hunt deal. You can probably think of more reasons if you try.

As to lying about what you did that is a whole differen deal. If you are going to lie about one thing you will lie about another.

Problem isn't about how you hunt and kill things the problem is how the truth is handled ain't it?

BCR

BCR... cool I always figured you for a reasonable man and now you have confirmed it...... smile

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BCR is right. As long as you don't pretend you shot it on a wilderness hunt, no one should care.

A good friend of mine acts as a "guide" on a put and take ranch here. He complained one day that it took him ALL DAY to shoot the five elk they were after for a group. They just kept running away!

I happen to stock a lot of ponds for folks. Usually it's grandpa stocking a pond for the grandkids. No difference, really (except for the taxidermy bill!). A few guys just want to catch "the big one" once in their life.

It's all fine by me, as long as we understand that it's no great prize to have a "pay by the inch" trophy. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I find them to look freakish. Nothing for my wall!

I whole heartedly agree with that statement.
I much prefer my eight point red stag, at least it was wild and a fair chase, not feeding on grain laid out so the hunter could walk up and shoot it point blank.
A genuine trophy to me since it was shot with an old Lee Enfield .303 with open sights at 200 yards with one of our boys along for his first hunt.
We heard him roaring about half an hour before and the boy started asking "Is that a stag? Will we see him? Where is he? How long will it take to get to him?" In the end I stopped and whispered "Yes it is. He's on the next ridge. It'll take about half an hour to get close and IF YOU DON'T BLOODY SHUT UP WE DEFINITELY WON'T SEE HIM!" He got the message and we managed to stalk him on the edge of the bush where he was ripping scrub with his antlers and roaring like a banshee.
Me with the head back at camp, we shot him on the ridge line above my left shoulder right on the skyline.[Linked Image]
A couple of the kids playing with the head at camp.
[Linked Image]

The original international turd
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers

[Linked Image]

This stag looks a lot like a Red Angus bull I had a couple years ago. Without the headgear of course.

Black Cows Matter!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,622
Posts18,533,135
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.