Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just haven't been able to get out much this season. Bad weather, family commitments, illness and an aging truck on its last legs, just haven't allowed for much coyote hunting. High winds and the kid not feeling well squelched my previous foray. Even today I didn't know if it was worth it as they said flurries in the late morning, winds over 50km in the early afternoon.

But the 12-year-old daughter really wanted to get a coyote before her older sister, so I said we would try as long as the wind stayed down. There was a little drifting across the highway on the way to our location, but the wind wasn't too bad.

We spotted a couple of spooked coyotes while scouting at first light. Someone shoots from their truck!

While walking into the first set, spot a group of mule deer and off to the left a coyote that doesn't know we are there. Before I can get a steady rest, he spots us. I stop him with barks a number of times, before I finally get a shot away, unfortunately I held for 300, not 440. Whoops!

Continued in to the location, but other than mule deer, or magpies, did not attract the attention of any predators. The snow began to fall. Wind still OK.

Second set, I howled, no response. I tired my Sceery rodent coaxer, which I have never used. Pushing the bellows against my chest with the bell away from me increased the volume, and doing it rapidly, caused the sound to resemble a bird. I thought I heard some barking, but more howls did not get a response. Continued coaxing brought first one and then a second coyote over the far hill 500yds out.

They came right in until the other side of the basin where the lead dog sat on his butt. The second strolled up and paced back and forth looking like it wanted to leave. I tried challenges, I tried jackrabbit, I tried mouse squeaks, bird distress, and even the rodent coaxer did not bring them off the edge of the basin 330 yds away. A little far for the 12 yr old to be shooting. Shucks it was hard for me to get a good rest with the shooting sticks trying to unequally sink into the snow.

Finally, I decided I had better try. The pacer stopped and gave me a shot. Thwack! Coyote #1 starts jumping, spinning and kiyiing. Coyote #2 jumps on #1 biting at it. #1 alternates between falling down and lurching around. I try to dispatch #1, with what sounded like another good hit. Coyote #2 decides to get out of Dodge, I take a couple of cracks at him, and finally he stops for another look at #1. I hold for 400 and as I shoot, so does my daughter. Boom, Boom, the shots almost sounded as one, the coyote drops and does not move at all. Just when you think #1 is finished, it lurches up. It was kind of behind the lip of the basin. I could not put it down.

We trundled through the snowy basin, and find that #1 has made it about 100 yds. I am ashamed that it took me more than one shot to hit it and finish it. Of course it doesn�t help when its movement is so erratic.

I had been quizzing my daughter about how she felt about her shot when #2 went down. At first she didn�t realize we had hit it. I advised that we had shot almost as one and the coyote dropped. By the time she found it, she was claiming it.

So now I am in a conundrum, is it her first coyote (I haven�t checked for #of bullet holes), or is it the completion of my first called and killed double?

Here are the photos that may help in making the decision.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We dragged the coyotes (#1, a female, shot up a bit, a little scruffy, #2 a large male, coat a little better, but it appears he has a 6� patch between his shoulders where it looks like he has lost most of his guard hairs) back to the truck. By this time 10AM, it is snowing hard, we are covered in snow and when I moved the truck, I swept the snow off, by the time we are loaded up, I had to clear the snow again. Of course we are so wet, that the truck fogs something fierce. I note the 2� of fresh snow, the clouds are sitting on the ground, visibility nil, and we still don�t have the 50km wind. With a 20 yr old truck with declining compression, I decide to call it a day while traveling is still safe. By the time we got back to Calgary, the sun was shining, but there was drifting. Later I heard that highway 2 was not recommended for travel.

[Linked Image]

T�was a short day, but a good day.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have no doubt she killed the coyote.
Better luck gettin your first double.

Congrats on a great hunt.

BS

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great job to you and your daughter!!

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I concur!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats to both of you. Either way it was a great day!

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
AB2506: I say the daughter scores!
Good for her.
And you will have plenty of time to get your first "double" on down the road!
Now lets get the older sister out and get her some trigger time also.
Hope all is well up Canada way.
Many happy returns of your "good day".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Daugheter makes the shot!!!! Congrats

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice. Good job. Looks cold up there!

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
VG, oldest daughter is busy Saturdays playing ball hockey.

We will do more hunting next season, as we will have a bigger truck. The old Toyota (20yrsold) is a little small for the 3 of us with all the winter gear. The new Ford will be more reliable, and have much more space.

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Temp wasn't too bad Saturday, not much below freezing. Monday and Tuesday have been brutally cold, nearly -40 with the windchill. I don't mind winter, but this is getting ridiculous!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.