Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm thinking of tracking down an FN Mauser in 7x64 and having it restocked in English.

Before I go through the effort I have a few questions.

1. Who actually produced the FN, was it Browning, Herstal, who?

2. Can the rifle be fitted with a three position safe?

3. With aftermarket bottom metal?

4. What should I expect to pay?

Thanks all!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Rifleman -

1. FN, Herstal
2. I believe I have seen a 3 position safety available. Mine has a M70 type two position.
3. There is/was Oberndorf type bottom metal available with a lever release.
4. If you can find one in 7x64, it will be likely be $750 or more. Probably more, depending on condition.

Last edited by OldRooster; 03/01/11.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Rooster!

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
If you're talking about a commercial FN action, which it sounds like you are, there are lots of options available. Bottom metal look to Sound Metal Products, Sunny Hill or Blackburn. There are several M70 style safeties out there, and I think Gentry is a well regarded one. Just do a search, lots to choose from.

David

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Yes, looking for a commercial FN action if I decide to proceed....

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Answers based on above:

1. FN Herstal
2. They are similar in design to the full size military mausers, so all of the same options (Gentry, Dakota, etc.). If you get one with the original left side safety, give it a try. It's more comfortable to me than a three position.
3. See above, Blackburn, Sunnyhill, Duane Wiebe, James Anderson, etc.
4. Commercial in a 7x64 on this side of the pond is difficult. As always, model (standard, deluxe, etc.), condition, rarity - in this case not a 'standard' US caliber, all impact price.

Have you thought of (you probably have) just rechambering a 7x57 as they are more common?

Hope this helps.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Sound Metal Products is Duane Wiebe. I've got his bottom metal for a 1936 Mexican action that's destined to be a peach of a early 20th century style rifle, fancy wood and all. It's nice metal no doubt.

David

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Collectors Firearms in Houston just sold a factory FN mauser in 7x64 just last week or the week before. You just missed it. I thought about it, but I'm looking for another FN 7x57 or a Brno 21H/22F.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
smallcal: Hadn't thought of a rebore!

x2: Using Wiebe bottom metal on a custom Mexican Mauser in 7x57 currently being built.

Bristecd: any idea what it went for?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you are looking for an action to use as a project basis remember that there are a bunch if old jc higgins out there that are FN actions, and can be had for a pretty reasonable price.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

x2: Using Wiebe bottom metal on a custom Mexican Mauser in 7x57 currently being built.

It would be sacrilege to rechamber a nice 7x57. Rebarrel 270! smile

Dave

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I just had a Brux barrel installed on one of the FN/Higgins actions. My smith chambered in 7X57 but I imagine he could have chambered for 7X64 just as easily. The rifle was an 06 before and they aren't too difficult to come by.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you were lucky enough to find a FN Supreme/Safari/Husky in 7x64, why would you alter at all ? They are a collector's items !

The JC Higgins idea makes sense. No need to change a thing on the action except get a decent trigger in it. There is not a thing wrong with the normal FN wing safety.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
1. FN is short for Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre, based in Herstal, Belgium. It was originally established to build Mauser design rifles for the Belgian government. They had a long term relationship with gun designer John Moses Browning and built a number of his designs including the Browning Superposed shotgun and the Browning HP pistol, among others. After WW I, the original Mauser company was prohibited from building Mauser 98 rifles and FN took over much of the military market for Mauser 98 rifles. After WW II they also marketed modified Mauser 98 sporting rifles under their own FN brand, under the Browning name, and also sold actions that were made into sporting rifles by Husqvarna and Sako (until they developed their own actions), and to a number of US manufacturers such as Colt, Marlin, High Standard, and other companies that made sporters sold under the JC Higgins (Sears), and Western Field (Montgomery Ward) brand names. Regardless of the stock or barrel these all had an FN action at their heart. There were a number of modifications made in these actions over the years to the trigger, bolt sleeve and safety designs, but they are all high quality actions, and they all take Mauser 98 type accessories.

2. All of these actions can have a M70-type 3 position safety installed, that is designed for a standard 98 Mauser bolt. They usually run $150 and up, plus installation. The FNs with a military bolt sleeve can take a low scope mount 2 position safety (on the right or left side) also, and after about 1950-1 the FNs came with that as standard.

To be honest, I am not sure of the practical benefit of the third safety position on a Mauser 98. The idea is supposed to be that in the middle position you can operate the bolt to unload the rifle without having the firing pin fall. However, in a Mauser 98, since it is a CRF (controlled round feed) design, the cartridge is caught by the extractor as it leaves the magazine. This means that you can cycle the bolt back and forth WITHOUT TURNING DOWN THE BOLT HANDLE to unload the magazine. This should perfectly safe because the firing pin is held back by the cocking cam and cannot move forward unless the pin or the cocking piece breaks, and further there are internal blocks inside the bolt itself to prevent the firing pin from striking the cartridge until the handle is turned down.

On the original Mauser 98 design, the intermediate position of the safety is to allow for easy disassembly of the bolt for cleaning without tools. That position is eliminated in the later FN 2-position safety., and requires that a small nail be inserted into a hole in the cocking piece to hold it back and allow bolt disassembly.

3. All of these actions will also take aftermarket bottom metal made for Mauser 98 actions. The earlier actions will have detachable floorplate like the military design but the later actions have a hinged floorplate. This is not as sexy looking as an Oberndorf type floorplate, but aftermarket bottom metal from Sunnyhill, Blackburn, etc. will run you around $500 last I looked.

4. Price is variable. You will pay a premium for the FN or Browning name, and those are already stocked in French walnut. As others have pointed out, 7x64 is rare in this country, so likely will go for a premium. A 7x57 could be rechambered for 7x64, but those are relatively uncommon (just because the cartridge is less popular than a 270 or 30-06, which undoubtedly sold in larger numbers) and are prized in the original caliber.

If you're looking for an action alone, a JC Higgins, Marlin or Western Field will be less expensive but will almost certainly be a 270 or 30-06. Either can be re-barreled to 7x64, but the .270 cannot be re-bored to the 7x64 because, although the .270 bore is smaller than the 7mm bore, the 270 case is larger in diameter than the 7x64.

This is probably more than you want to know, but hope this helps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Gentry model 70 style three position safety on my FN in 300 Belted Newton. MOstly because I had to do SOMETHING about that horrible Beuhler up and down wing thing and because all of my other rifles have this kind of safety and I like all of my guns to be the same as much as is possible. More important with DGR's, but in my view best to get really accostomed to one system and stay with it. David Gentry and ed LaPour make great units.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've been drooling all over my keyboard looking at this 7x64. Not a commercial FN though.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217818490
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that I could 'Settle' for that one if in the market for that caliber. Very nice.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for all the info all, very educational.

Jlin: not too much at all, appreciate the effort.

Bufaf: thanks for the visual!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I think they were asking $749 or $799. It was in mint condition with the 2 leaf rear sight.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I go along with the option of finding a J.C. Higgins FN Mauser.
Probably the least expensive way to go. one thing puzzles me. Why the 7x64? Wouldn't it be simpler just to do a .280 Rem.? After all they're so similar. One will do what the other will for all practical purposes. I have a couple of rifles built on the Higgins actions and really about the only change needed is to replace the Mickey Mouse trigger system with a Timney and forget about it. Another FN type action that is very nice is the Husqvarnas, if you can find one. My next custon will be based on a Husqvarna 640 with the FN style action. Action cycles slicker'n snot on a door knob. I haven't decided on what cartridge it will take yet.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 51 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.