Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman
The belt is the part of the case just ahead of the extraction groove, so it seems to be the appropriate thing to compare with the rim.

Yes, so I guess the issue is one of extraction. One of the indictments of the .300 RUM is feed/extraction issues due to case expansion and a rebated rim. Like I mentioned previously, I only know a few guys with the RUM and they've never complained so it's probably a bit of a red herring, but it's mentioned because of the rebated rim on the .300 and I've never heard that accusation regarding the .30-378.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
the rim is smaller than the belt on every belted round. It is not rebated.

LC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dtspoke
Originally Posted by moosemike
My taxidermist's wife hunts elk with that cartridge. Because he switched to the .338/378 Weatherby. He says the kills are spectacular but I think those cartridges are overbore. The .300 and .340 Weatherby's almost do what the .30/378 and .338/378 do. And for my money I'll take the .300 and .338 Win mags.

I've got a .338 Win Mag and I like it a lot. There is no chance I'm going to jump into the Win Mag/Weatherby argument because you and I both know it's silly, but one of these days I'm going to own a .340 Weatherby because the thought of pushing 225 or 250 grains at those MV's with factory loads sounds like fantastic challenge.

His wife?

Yes, his wife uses the .30-378.

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Mine was a Sako. It is quite a thing to shoot! Everybody takes notice. Recoil is brisk, report deafening. Weatherby factory loads were way too hot in the Sako. I fired just a few, then dismantled the rest to handload. The factory rounds I did fire could not be reloaded because new primers would not stay seated. The max load of a certain powder and bullet I found in published data was 117 grains. I started getting CHE at 112 so I backed down to 110 and stayed there. Accuracy was spectacular. I got a screamin' deal on the gun, so I came out ahead at trade-in. Wish I had kept it if for nothing else but the WOW! factor.

I still have my 300 RUM. It is a bit tamer than the 30-378, probably because the Remmy 700 BDL/SS has a tupperware stock and good R3 pad. It shoots really well, and will kill any animal I will ever encounter much farther than I will probably ever shoot at an animal. I have killed a few deer with it. They don't die any quicker than deer I kill with my smaller rifles. If I ever go elk hunting again, I'll pack the 300 RUM.

If you want to spend less money, find a good 300 RUM. But if you want the "baddest of the bad", and money's no object, Get a Weatherby 30-378. Both are good.

The opportunity I mentioned is a Sako TRG-S with a Bell and Carlson stock. It's really nice and way under comparative value.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nope, I checked some other drawings for that too.

IC B2

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
the rim is smaller than the belt on every belted round. It is not rebated.

LC

The shoulder is the benchmark, correct, since that is where I would determine headspace?

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Nope, I checked some other drawings for that too.

Is the case difference significantly different from the rim or is it nominal?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the guys I hunt moose with uses a 30-378 in a Sako rifle. A couple of years ago he took a bull at just under 400 yards with a 165 gr. TTSX IIRC. The bull only moved a few steps before dropping. There was a LOT of blood sprayed around from the hit.

He and another friend of his with the same caliber just had their second barrels put on.

Jim

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's an interesting anectdote on the caliber; It's been around since 1958 or so but Weatherby didn't release it until a few years ago. If you read Elgin Gates' book, Trophy Hunting In Africa, he used one with a solid to kill an elephant with a head shot in 1959. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I run one using it north for moose/caribou and here for elk. An Accumark and I push out 180gr Combined Technology Noslers. My last group effort generated a clover leaf at 100 yds that can be completely obscured by a dime. Quite the shooter, but not something I take out plinking.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine was a Sako. It is quite a thing to shoot! Everybody takes notice. Recoil is brisk, report deafening. Weatherby factory loads were way too hot in the Sako. I fired just a few, then dismantled the rest to handload. The factory rounds I did fire could not be reloaded because new primers would not stay seated. The max load of a certain powder and bullet I found in published data was 117 grains. I started getting CHE at 112 so I backed down to 110 and stayed there. Accuracy was spectacular. I got a screamin' deal on the gun, so I came out ahead at trade-in. Wish I had kept it if for nothing else but the WOW! factor.

I still have my 300 RUM. It is a bit tamer than the 30-378, probably because the Remmy 700 BDL/SS has a tupperware stock and good R3 pad. It shoots really well, and will kill any animal I will ever encounter much farther than I will probably ever shoot at an animal. I have killed a few deer with it. They don't die any quicker than deer I kill with my smaller rifles. If I ever go elk hunting again, I'll pack the 300 RUM.

If you want to spend less money, find a good 300 RUM. But if you want the "baddest of the bad", and money's no object, Get a Weatherby 30-378. Both are good.

The opportunity I mentioned is a Sako TRG-S with a Bell and Carlson stock. It's really nice and way under comparative value.

That is the same gun I had. Sako M995 TRG/S Magnum to be precise. It is a dandy shooter - very well built and accurate. I got mine for $550 fired less than 20 times. Does your deal beat that? smile Mine had a gouge in the chamber that caused extraction problems and scratched the dogcrap out of the cases. I assume it got there when the previous owner shot that hot Weatherby ammo in it, got an over-expanded case stuck in the chamber, and dug it out with his pocket knife (Bubba!). Some fine Emery paper wrapped on a brass rod chucked in a common drillmotor and spun in the chamber for a few seconds cleaned it up just fine.

As I said, be very wary of shooting factory Weatherby ammo in it. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but there it is. I suspect the problem had something to do with the length of freebore in the Sako chamber vs. the Weatherby chamber that the ammo was designed for. I suggest you go straight to handloading for it and skip the factory ammo altogether, and start low. Another motivating factor for handloading is the cost of the Weatherby ammo. I paid $89 for the one box I bought, but it is well north of $100 per box nowadays ($5 per shot!).

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

That is the same gun I had. Sako M995 TRG/S Magnum to be precise. It is a dandy shooter - very well built and accurate. I got mine for $550 fired less than 20 times. Does your deal beat that? smile Mine had a gouge in the chamber that caused extraction problems and scratched the dogcrap out of the cases. I assume it got there when the previous owner shot that hot Weatherby ammo in it, got an over-expanded case stuck in the chamber, and dug it out with his pocket knife (Bubba!). Some fine Emery paper wrapped on a brass rod chucked in a common drillmotor and spun in the chamber for a few seconds cleaned it up just fine.

As I said, be very wary of shooting factory Weatherby ammo in it. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but there it is. I suspect the problem had something to do with the length of freebore in the Sako chamber vs. the Weatherby chamber that the ammo was designed for. I suggest you go straight to handloading for it and skip the factory ammo altogether, and start low. Another motivating factor for handloading is the cost of the Weatherby ammo. I paid $89 for the one box I bought, but it is well north of $100 per box nowadays ($5 per shot!).

$550? Holy Smokes, I'm under a grand but if I were that low I'd just buy it and live with the outcome.

Factory loads are a whopping $104.00 on the low end now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There were two of them on the table at the show. The story I was told was that two buddies, both older gents, each bought the same gun for a western elk hunt. They sighted them in and went on the hunt where both of them killed an elk with one shot apiece. Then the guns were sold. One had a cracked stock so I bought the other. I didn't notice the burr in the chamber until I got it home and shot it.

I don't often fall into good deals like that, but it does happen.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Apparently the rim differential from the casing isn't "substantial" enough to warrant being classified as a rebated rim.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It would make a fine pistol cartridge with a 12" tube!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

The base to rim differential on the RUM is greater. But if you can find anyplace anywhere that concludes the .30-378 is rebated, I'd like to see it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The difference in size between the rim and the part of the case immediately ahead of the extractor groove, whether that part of the case is a belt or not, is what sparks reliability discussions. That difference is greater on the Weatherby.

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The difference in size between the rim and the part of the case immediately ahead of the extractor groove, whether that part of the case is a belt or not, is what sparks reliability discussions. That difference is greater on the Weatherby.

To date, this is the first time I've ever heard this, while I've heard the exact opposite on many occasions. Have you heard or read about extraction problems with the .30-378 vs the .300 RUM?

I've never heard of extraction problems as a design issue on belted mags, but I have read of complaints with the rebated rims since the issue is the case size. Agree or not, the issue is simple:

1. Rebated rims are criticized for extraction problems
2. Rebated rims are defined as a rim that is "substantially" smaller than the cartridge base
3. .300 RUM is a rebated rim and the .30-378 is belted.

This train jumped the tracks a long time ago, but if you could give me something that refutes the above three I would greatly appreciate it since that is what this is about.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,096
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.