Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
dt & mathman: CONGRATULATIONS after several runs at it, y'all

finally cleared that .024" HURDLE. L O L ! !

I certainly understand "cheaper" about reloading et.al. however

I've never had any trouble with belted cases. Not in reference to you two, but it seems to me that a big deal has been made, from not much substance, about belted cases over the years. It also seems to me that for as many belted cases & as many years as I've loaded them, I would have encountered some kind of trouble, but I haven't. Even loading rounds into the chamber and extracting, whether fired or not, crf or push fed, I have experienced no problems.

Good Luck, Good Loading, & Shooting.

JWALL

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dtspoke
If someone was dangling a .300 RUM in front of my face then I might be inclined to agree, but that's really not the case.

And the gun in question is a Sako, not a Weatherby.

But the brass is expensive.

If it's a good price & you want it, do it. You only need a few cartridge cases for a gun like that, see if they will include 30 or 40 pcs in the deal. Not like you'll be shooting 50 rounds per session.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JWALL
dt & mathman: CONGRATULATIONS after several runs at it, y'all

finally cleared that .024" HURDLE. L O L ! !

I certainly understand "cheaper" about reloading et.al. however

I've never had any trouble with belted cases. Not in reference to you two, but it seems to me that a big deal has been made, from not much substance, about belted cases over the years. It also seems to me that for as many belted cases & as many years as I've loaded them, I would have encountered some kind of trouble, but I haven't. Even loading rounds into the chamber and extracting, whether fired or not, crf or push fed, I have experienced no problems.

Good Luck, Good Loading, & Shooting.

JWALL

I know. I felt my brains leaking out of my nose.

I've shot a LOT of belted rounds and not had a problem. In limited experience in this discussion, it seems like the issue isn't as much a problem inherent with belted mags, but whether they are still necessary.

Now we could devolve into a disussion of headspacing on a belted mag vs one with a shoulder. That could fill a book with minutiae.

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by dtspoke
If someone was dangling a .300 RUM in front of my face then I might be inclined to agree, but that's really not the case.

And the gun in question is a Sako, not a Weatherby.

But the brass is expensive.

If it's a good price & you want it, do it. You only need a few cartridge cases for a gun like that, see if they will include 30 or 40 pcs in the deal. Not like you'll be shooting 50 rounds per session.

Yeah, he's throwing in two RCBS dies, a box of brass, bullets, and a full box of loaded rounds.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How does the .30-378 Weatherby compare to A-Square's 300 Pegasus or Lazzeroni's 7.82 Warbird? IF I just had to have an ultra-over-bore .30 cal, I'd look at one of the latter.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We want to see pics.
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 30-378 Maximum (40 degree shoulder, body taper blown out and up, yada yada) compared beside a regular 30-378.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by moosemike
My taxidermist's wife hunts elk with that cartridge. Because he switched to the .338/378 Weatherby. He says the kills are spectacular but I think those cartridges are overbore. The .300 and .340 Weatherby's almost do what the .30/378 and .338/378 do. And for my money I'll take the .300 and .338 Win mags.

This is interesting. I found the same thing.

I had a .338/378 before it was a factory chambering and found it roared and recoiled more like the .378 Weatherby and it definitely did nothing the standard .340 did except make it look like a pussy cat to shoot. I like the .338 too, but it is sure a toss up when the .340 is mentioned, as you can load to .338 recoil levels for lighter game and still have the powder capacity for heavier loads on larger game. Ifyou magnaport the .340, a single load will kill everything where the calier is legal.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Glock2240
We want to see pics.
Tim

[Linked Image]

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
the 30x378 has been around in wildcat form for well over 50 years.
one of the early promoters of the cartridge was howard wolfe of mifflinburg pa.
at that point almost no actions were suitable for that cartridge. howard designed and built actions specificaly for that cartridge.
the late earl chronister set a 10 shot world record in the mid 80s with that cartridge. the gun was built on a wolfe action and used a 30" hart barrel. bullets were experimental 250gr smks. the record was set at williamsport pa.
ive owned several 30x378s built by howard over the last 30+ years.
for long range hunting in pa, the 200 smk has been the most popular bullet.
my current rifle is a wolfe action 36" barrel heavy bench gun.
my load is 113 gr. h570 ww2 surplus powder w/200smk.
m.v. is 3500 fps. 118 gr h870 is about the same.
the 200 smk shoots flatter at 1500 yds. than both the 220 and 240 smk. (150 1/4 min clicks from my gun)
the argument over belt vs shoulder is ridicioulas as most handloaders headspace on the shoulder anyway. the belt essentually plays no roll.
shoulder shape is also about meaningless as for accuracy.
the 300 ultra uses a smaller case head/rim in order to work w/ standard mag bolts.
you need a bigger bolt dia. to work with the 378 case.
that can also be trimmed or rebated to standard mag. size.
ive owned a gun where we did that w/ a hart #4 action.
that action wouldnt handle the heavier loads. so what we had in essence was a 300 ultra years before it was introduced.
the factory 26" barrel rifles arent up to speed for long range hunting.
it has very little advantage over a 300 ultra.
in fact all the 30 cals. have fallen victum to the big 338s for long range hunting.
frankly even though ive owned and used that cartridge for decades, i see little point to joe average owning one.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How about joe average just wants one?

dtspoke Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
How about joe average just wants one?

Si vato.

If we only discussed need this forum wouldn't exist. Except to argue what bulk 30-06 ammo to buy.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 42 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,162
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.