-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...922/7mm_08_elk_rifle_wannabe#Post5005922

It obviously can't take an elk at 80 yds so you may want to forget it and get something with a 'bigger bang'. Best leave the 7-80 for varmints and roe deer! laugh

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I used 140 TSX for the moose I took this fall. The shot was 240 yards on the range finder, it done some massive internal damage to the lungs and I recovered the bullet sticking out of the hide on the far side, the Moose took three steps and fell over.Broke a pedal of cleaning the meat out of the bullet. Moose took three steps and fell over. I think pretty much any well constructed bullte in the 120gr to 140gr class should work well on caribou.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by quackquackbang; 03/04/11.

"I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness".
~ Ted Nugent
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
I had a friend carry a 7mm-08 for caribou. The rifle was so light we had to keep opening the rifle case just to make sure the thing was in there. He used 140gr Ballistic Tips to drop a couple bulls on the spot with shoulder shots. He said one did come apart pretty good after hitting the front point of a shoulder, but it came apart in the lungs so he didn't care. Dead critter!

As a side note, he lost most everything on those animals except the antlers. As he was flying from Canada to New York, his jet was suddenly diverted to Wisconsin. He had to try and haul that meat via a rented pickup from Green Bay to Flagstaff, Arizona since he was not allowed to fly anywhere. He hated to lose all that meat and hide, but that paled in comparison considering everything else that went on that September 11 day.

Man should have bought a chest freezer just small enough to fit in that pickup,,,, make sure you can plug it in and run the freezer some every few hours,,, all the jiggling may have killed the compressor or it may have not, helped haul a huge load of frozen elk from Ut to TN like that,,, drive 4-5 hours and take a hour break

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
120 NBT
140 NAB

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used he 140gr TSX for years in my 7mm-08s with good success on deer and hogs. Recently started using 120gr TSX's and they are wicked on game as well....CT

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd use whatever you already use for deer, and not worry about it. Your odds of encountering a 500lb caribou, while sheep hunting, are about the same as winning the lottery. If it will kill a deer, it'll kill a sheep and 'bou. Relax, get in shape(if you aren't)practice a lot, and have a great hunt! Spend more time worrying about good boots, rain gear, clothes, and glass.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be inclined to use the 150 Ballistic Tip and call it good...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loaded some 140gr NP's for a 14 yo girl this past fall.
Her Dad's choice BTW.

The Partition worked beautifully on her cow elk.

So I would pick any bonded, mono, or partition 140gr bullet and go forth. I cannot imagine one being able to tell the difference in the field.

I think the non premiums would be more than adequate also.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

A fairly ordinary/average bull getting undressed. I've killed a few big bulls though I prefer better eating animals. I have never killed a big bull I could not drag though the big ones are pretty hard to load into the sled without some field dressing, (something we sometimes do in order to congregate several into one place when we've killed more than one.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think what I've taken from this thread is to try some H414 <grin>.

My near-useless opinion, having only shot deer with a 7-08, would be to run the 140-Accubond or 150-gn NBT. You did say nasty, and the 150 NBT is all that.

Unless there were big bears around. Then I might load TSX's, probably a 140-gn.

Again, this is from the cheap seats. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by Rman
The 120 would be plenty for the 'bou.
Question on reloading, can a fella get 3000 fps with a 140 grain pill? RL15?
Thanks.
R.

I've not seen 3k yet with 140's in a 7-08. Seems like a stretch to me with any tube.

22" tube on my Kimber 84M gets 3016 fps from Hornady Light Mag 139 SST...but I never liked the SST

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg
...taking the .7mm-08 to the big state up North for Dall Sheep and just found out Carabou will also be in play on this trip. Not so much worried about the .7mm-08 with the Ram but this Carabou variable is going to take some planning. I think I'm limited to a 140 gr bullet in this caliber (?) but I need to max this sucker out...any experience out there with premium bullets in this round? -thanks

This comment is not based on experience, only years of armchair hunting on Saturday mornings. But the Caribou, appears to be the bonafide pu$$y's of the Cervidae family. I would not feel under-gunned with a 243 and Remington softpoints.

Last edited by RDW; 03/05/11.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I still feel that the 130 NBT is a better way to go... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

consistency is a virtue... laugh

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 7mm caliber handloaded with a 140gn bulet to anything above 2800fps is grossly underrated by those that have not used it.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i slum griz turf some, and the rifle i'm most apt to have is a M7 7mm-08 stoked with 120 TSXs over RE 15

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As well as most trains...grin

Dober

LOL

My 7mm RM really likes North Forks in 140g and 160g weights, as do I.

Being one with a strong preference for good premiums, and realizing full well they are rarely really needed:

120g TTSX
139g GMX
140g TTSX
140g AccuBond
140g Trophy Bonded Tip (Federal factory load)

And, of course, my favorite 7mm bullet...
140g North Fork

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dober

Traitor. grin We were talking about 7mm, not the bigger or small cousins. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PPosey

Man should have bought a chest freezer just small enough to fit in that pickup,,,, make sure you can plug it in and run the freezer some every few hours,,, all the jiggling may have killed the compressor or it may have not, helped haul a huge load of frozen elk from Ut to TN like that,,, drive 4-5 hours and take a hour break

Something that has worked for us is to use the big Igloo ice chests. We pack ice around the meat to get it cooled down quickly and throw dry ice in on top. We've done that with elk and kept the meat good for days. Also worked for antelope in Wyoming in much warmer temps and when we got the meat to the processor in Colorado a couple days later some of it was frozen. Longer trips might require more ice and dry ice but its easy to monitor and the water from melted ice is easily drained.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dawg.......NO sir! You can go up to the 175 grain bullet and I will recommend the Nosler Accubond or the Swift A Frame bullet.

You can drive that 175 grn up to 2500-fps. I personally like the 160 grain a little better for down range trajectory but both have very good Sectional Density numbers for penetration purposes

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,492
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.