Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What is the black coating on the Winchester/Nosler AccuBond CT bullets?

Is it Molybdenum Disulfide?

I plan to coat my new .338 WM bore with Ultra Bore Coat and sight it in at the same time. I want to use Nosler 225 AccuBonds and see that Wiedener's has the Winchester black coated "CT" version availble in factory ammo. Is there anything about this coating that would interfere with the applicaton of UBC? Are there any known problems with this black Winchester bullet coating in any regard?

Due to work related travel and self imposed housing restrictions, I am out of the reloading business the next few years and have to rely on factory ammo only.

Brazos Jack

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's a proprietary "Lubaloy" if the ammunition is factory. Nosler moly coated the component bullets in the C-T line.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good article by Terry Wieland in last issue of "Rifle", all about Jarrett rifles.

Regarding bullet coatings...

Jarrett says the single worst thing that has occurred in rifle shooting in the past few years has been the various coated bullets. "They have destroyed thousands and thousands of barrels," he told me. "They put that coating on with no idea what will happen when it hits a barrel. It bonds to the steel, and you can't get it out unless you heat the barrel cherry red."

Given his expertise and reputation, that's probably enough to convince me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I tell folks to cure the DYNA - TEK Bore Coat formally (UBC)
with uncoated bullets. After the 5 to 8 curing rounds and cleaning with a good copper solvent you can run any coating you want on bullets. This is due to the fact the bullet coatings will be on top of the Bore Coat and not in the barrel steel. There are some folks running moly coated bullets on the Bore Coat and the moly cleans right out. Most find they need no coatings after the Bore Coat. At this point you only worry about bullet construction.
Doug

Doug Burche
Gun coating with Dyna Coat and CeraKote
Dyna Bore Coat,Because barrel cleaning SUCKS.
www.dynamicfinishes.com
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sir_springer
Good article by Terry Wieland in last issue of "Rifle", all about Jarrett rifles.

Jarrett says the single worst thing that has occurred in rifle shooting in the past few years has been the various coated bullets. "They have destroyed thousands and thousands of barrels," he told me. "They put that coating on with no idea what will happen when it hits a barrel. It bonds to the steel, and you can't get it out unless you heat the barrel cherry red."

AND... I've fired thousands of rounds in barrels with moly adn burned up at least 12 barrels that way... some got to over 10K of barrel life some less depending... but the moly damn sure never ruined a barrel. And you can damn sure get enough of it out if it caused any problems... Of course we have only run about a max of 20K rounds on any given year of competition... sometimes less, never more....
Gimme a break.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by sir_springer

I was at the 2000 SCI convention where Jarrett gave a scathing review of coatings on bullets, and he was passionate in his enthusiasm for clean steel. I offered my support for his opinion and gave my experience to the members.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From all I've read about Kenny Jarrett, and the utterly fabulous accuracy he builds into his rifles, I'm inclined to conclude that what he doesn't know about rifles and accuracy probably isn't worth knowing.

Worth noting as well...

Over the several years I've frequented this forum, two subjects of posts that keep coming up are: a) how do you clean copper out of a barrel, and b) how do you clean out these moly coatings out of a barrel.

The latter certainly seems to be the more problematic.

FWIW.

Last edited by sir_springer; 03/02/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd have proof they ruined barrels, before I made a statement like that.

Pics, research etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Barrel longevity certainly isn't in the barrel-maker's best interest...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't heat my barrels cherry red to clean 'em...the first tinge of blue will usually suffice.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would find it very hard to believe that moly has ruined myriad thousands of barrels. I have no use for it myself, but really doubt that Jarrett can back up his claims on this.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Oh, I don't know about that, I have heard Kenny's presentation twice at SCI shows, and his videos of barrel internals are very interesting -- and compelling for his case.

Kenny makes barrels for his own rifles and does not generally sell them.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the Nosler CT bullets for at least 6 years and have never had any problem with them...

The rifle is no harder or easier to clean than with the standard Nolser BTs.

I like the CT bullets

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I shoot the 140g NOsler Combined technology bullets in a 7 STW. I am able to run 3650 fps in a 26" barrel with the coated bullets with exceptional accuracy. If I go with the naked 140g Nosler Ballistic tips, about 3500 is top end, and I can't even get close to the load with the C/T bullets.

Brother and I shoot these "Black" bullets in custom 7 STW's. A deer has never taken a step after being hit, anywhere from 40 yards to 550yards with our loads, these 140g C/T Bullets just saw up deer.

I clean with good bronze bristle brushes and Montana Extreme solvent and Montana extreme Copper killer just as I would with any rifle at the 20 round mark.

Brother has a Pac Nor 3 groove done with my reamer that is 27" long and he is shooting the 140's a tad over 3700 fps into very tiny groups. Our longest rifle range is 550 yards, and 2 1/2" groups are typical for that distance, Black Bullets do ok by us.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I shoot the 140g NOsler Combined technology bullets in a 7 STW. I am able to run 3650 fps in a 26" barrel with the coated bullets with exceptional accuracy. If I go with the naked 140g Nosler Ballistic tips, about 3500 is top end, and I can't even get close to the load with the C/T bullets.

Brother and I shoot these "Black" bullets in custom 7 STW's. A deer has never taken a step after being hit, anywhere from 40 yards to 550yards with our loads, these 140g C/T Bullets just saw up deer.

I clean with good bronze bristle brushes and Montana Extreme solvent and Montana extreme Copper killer just as I would with any rifle at the 20 round mark.

Brother has a Pac Nor 3 groove done with my reamer that is 27" long and he is shooting the 140's a tad over 3700 fps into very tiny groups. Our longest rifle range is 550 yards, and 2 1/2" groups are typical for that distance, Black Bullets do ok by us.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What is Lubaloy???

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I've heard it's a type of bluing and has nothing in commom with moly and won't build up in your bore.

`Bring Enough Gun`
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm glad to hear these positive reports for the CT ballistic tips. The 200 gr .338 CTBT is another bullet I'd like to try for deer hunting, as it's not too expensive. I'll probably do Ultra Bore Coat anyhow...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My how things to go afield.

To the OP, according to Winchester, the black stuff (Lubalox) is not moly:

http://www.winchester.com/learning-center/faqs/Ammunition/Pages/ammunition-question095.aspx

Lubaloy is a copper alloy Winchester and Western have used for decades on .22 RF and other bullets.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lub-whatever- the black stuff on the bullets...

I always thought it was just some "oxide" and mostly there for the wow factor.

Gotta admit, those nickel plated cases with a black bullet sitting on top looked pretty bad ass...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 21, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.