Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RAS2
Use paper plates and cups. Throw away when done, no fuss no muss. grin
Plastic disposables work even better, and they piss off environmentalists. grin

So very true. Been told a plastic spoon will last 100 years in a landfill, to which I respond, how long will a rock last in a landfill? My thinking is that the more stable something is in the landfill the better it is. It's the stuff that breaks down that gets into the groundwater, not the stuff that's inert.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Go to the hardware store and buy some sodium phosphate and put a tsp in with your dishes.

Just out of curiosity what else is it used for?

Mike

The box says it's used to clean about everything from metal to concrete. My wife bought it years ago and she can't remember why.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

Go to the hardware store and buy some sodium phosphate and put a tsp in with your dishes.

I was just waiting for someone to chime in with a "home made" recipe. THANKS!

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We used TSO or trisodium phosphate in hard chrome plating to clean the floors, plating racks, and just about everything that came in contact with the chrome. Chrome 6 is an awful brown sticky mess with a PH of 1. Not fun to work with.

But we did nor release and tsp of chrome to the sewer. When I designed the place I went 100% zero discharge. Don't want any of that stuff in our water.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goodnews

The upside, other than the gov't knowing better, is that if you're rural and have a septic system, it's much happier without phosphates.

You run your gray water into your septic system? laugh

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You don't. Think it is against the rules here to use your gray water so it goes into the septic system.

In Central OR the system I built the gray water went into the hay field. Used composting toilet for the rest. Worked great.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
We used TSO or trisodium phosphate in hard chrome plating to clean the floors, plating racks, and just about everything that came in contact with the chrome. Chrome 6 is an awful brown sticky mess with a PH of 1. Not fun to work with.

But we did nor release and tsp of chrome to the sewer. When I designed the place I went 100% zero discharge. Don't want any of that stuff in our water.

I have a field drain so nothing leaves. After 15 years, it's working fine. I'm due to have the tank pumped out, though.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you live out in the country don't you have a grey water line for the kitchen,clothes washer,dish washer and the sink tub/shower.
I got tired of having the guy come pump the cesspool out.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not positive, but I think code requires everything to go through a septic tank.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nope, not in WA. Against the law. Septic gets it all.

We have a sand filter here. We are so close to salmon habitat we cannot use standard septic. A sand filter will handle all the gray water without any problems.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just as a side note. Until two years ago we could not collect rain water from our roofs and use it to water our gardens of yards. The state claimed ownership to all Washington rain. Just got rid of that insanity.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run milk pipe line cleaning acid through the dishwasher every so often. Dishes and the dishwasher come out gleaming(grin)
Does a good job on the coffee maker every so often as well.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Around here the drinking water comes from Lake Ontario mostly.This is one of the Great Lakes and if you never saw one of the Great lakes, it is like looking at an ocean, You cannot see the other side. The other thing is that waste water (sewage) is treated and dumped in there too. Isn't that a wonderful thought.
Anyhow to the point, years ago when Phosphate soaps were common, the bottom of the lake was no longer sandy,it was slimy feeling.phosphates may in fact clean dishes better,but it sure raises hell with fresh water lakes. This time, the Gomerment got it right..one of the few times.

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't. Think it is against the rules here to use your gray water so it goes into the septic system.

Where does it go from the septic tank? Right back out into the ground via the leech field. Govt. rules don't make sense a lot of time.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's the government. It's not supposed to make sense. mad

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
This is one of the Great Lakes and if you never saw one of the Great lakes, it is like looking at an ocean, You cannot see the other side.

I have seen the other sides of both the Atlantic and the Pacific. 24 year in the Navy will do that for you. wink

I have no problems with rules keeping phosphates out of our waters. It is once the got it right.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Next time you empty the dishwasher, take a close look at them. You'll likely find that they look scummy, certainly not clean. Thank our nanny state government for that. Recent regulations have removed all phosphates from dish soap, and that's what got them clean. I read that Proctor & Gamble's Cascade brand is by far the most used brand and they got hit particularly hard. Cascade just doesn't do the job any more (our dishes look like crap). Glasses still have fingerprints and pan look greasy.

In their infinite wisdom, though, they exempted restaurants. I read that you can still get quality commercial soap from restaurant supply stores, but you'll likely have to buy a big box, maybe as much as 50 lb.

Phosphates kill fish and "scummy" looking dishes have no actual adverse impact except cosmetically. Seems like a reasonable trade off to me.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just as a side note. Until two years ago we could not collect rain water from our roofs and use it to water our gardens of yards. The state claimed ownership to all Washington rain. Just got rid of that insanity.

A co-worker of mine is still having problems with that. Where he lives the tribe claims all of the rain is their's. I'm fine with them claiming the rain but once it hits a surface it's just water. They'll have to be quick to get it if they want it.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I thought about filing a lawsuit the last flood we had. If is their water then they should take responsibility when it acts up. Then they changed the law and took away all my fun. frown

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Gracie the Queensland Heeler is my "First Rinse Cycle"

None of my handwashed dishes look to bad after her talented ministrations.

GTC

At our house we call it "Spaniel prewash".

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (222ND, 1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,128
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.