Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I guess from all this that the state of the art, newest Swaro's are "too good". I'm safe. I'll just hang onto my older Swaro 7x50's, which BTW have the best FOV and exit pupil one could ever imagine. Check out those numbers. They're heavy, so I use them in the box blind while deer hunting. My packing around binos are Kahles 8x42. The glass is pretty close to the Swaro and in a neat, solid package. With those two, I'm not in the market for new binos...

DF

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Thanks for your comments Flinch. The super hard coatings that Leica uses can make a difference I'm sure. That and their extra beefy constuction. E

From what I understand, only the newest Leica bino's and scopes (AquaDura coatings) are considered as "super hard" lense coatings. That would be UltraVid HD's and their new riflescopes. Leica does make very durable bino's though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I guess from all this that the state of the art, newest Swaro's are "too good". I'm safe. I'll just hang onto my older Swaro 7x50's, which BTW have the best FOV and exit pupil one could ever imagine. Check out those numbers. They're heavy, so I use them in the box blind while deer hunting. My packing around binos are Kahles 8x42. The glass is pretty close to the Swaro and in a neat, solid package. With those two, I'm not in the market for new binos...

DF

I don't think I'd quite call it "too good" what it represents is a different level of design not before attempted in what we see in the SV EL. There has been lots of clamor, particularly in the birdwatcher's crowd, that has obsessed over sharp edges for a long time. Swarovski evidently decided they could sctratch that itch. I think they full well knew that rolling ball would affect a substantial portion of users, which is why they brought along the upgrade in the SLC-HD. Other that the very slight edge distortion in the SLC-HD the image is indistinguishable. The SLC-HD is less money than the SV EL because it does not need the extra very expensive field flattener lens in the eye piece and with fewer lenses in the eye piece it is somewhat less costly to make the SLC-HD. I think this is a Swarovski approach to offer the flat SV image and have something else with the SLC-HD in the "new and improved" category so they can appeal to a somewhat larger base.

But like you with your Swaro 7x50 and Brad with his Leica 8x32...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.