-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You will smoke a turd in hell for that...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No denying the proof. Where is Fish Head to corroborate when you need him to?

So, what was it like pretending to get eaten by that big robotic shark? grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hey...that is serious stuff when you see me don the dewrag.... laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
EPIC.

Just goes to show your legendary status was earned!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The thing with the shark helped.... whistle

Actually that damn elk cost us pretty dearly...my hunting pard was atop one of the horses trying to get that critter out, and the horse blew up...he hit the ground with a pelvis broken in two places,a bunch of surgery and 2.5 months in a wheelchair....
( Not to mention an exciting, FAST, and yes "epic" trip to the hospital, with Ingwe at the wheel! laugh )

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
...the horse blew up...

shocked

Originally Posted by ingwe
...my hunting trips end with exciting, FAST, and yes "epic" trips to the hospital, with Ingwe at the wheel! laugh

eek

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Clever....wanna go hunting??? grin

Ever seen a hijacked Honda passport go 120??? grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm down.

Its the trips that don't go according to plan that make the best stories...AND CHICKS DIG SCARS!!!

"Have Rifle-Will Travel" grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
.... CHICKS DIG SCARS!!!

I can "hook you up".... grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
oh schitt...

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And you havent even heard the one about how I got my handle " Ingwe" with the leopard...... eek

Last edited by ingwe; 03/08/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My toughest was a goat. I started climbing at daylight on a day hunt, glassed the goat on the next peak over about 2:00 PM, shot it two hours later, and it fell 1000 vertical feet off the wrong side of the mountain range. I got to it at dark, gutted it and spent the night with it in the only tiny clump of waist high brush in the basin of rock and snow.

The next morning when it was light enough to walk I started climbing out with hide and horns. I got to my vehicle at sundown after a fall that included a 360 flip without injury to me. I raced to the nearest phone, 40 miles away, and called my wife just in time to head off the start of a search party.

The next day, my third on this goat, a friend and I started hiking up the back side of the mountain range at daylight, navigating by topo map and my memory of what I'd seen from above, and retrieved all of the goat meat by dark that night.

A Stone sheep the same friend and I packed 14 miles was easy in comparison. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The easiest moose I've ever worked on was shot in water deep enough to float it. We towed it with a small inflateable boat and motor across a lake and a half mile down a river to where we had 4x4 access. With a big block pulley we yarded it up the river bank slope with a 4x4 truck high enough to tie it off and back the pick-up tailgate under it.

We slid it into the pick-up and hauled it to where a local used his big forklift mounted on a John Deere tractor to lift it out. We gutted and skinned it as it hung. With it still hanging, he drove the tractor to the door of the cold storage room where we cut off each quarter and carried it a dozen feet to hang in the cooler.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a dead elk in the middle of this picture, which is where I shot from...

[Linked Image]

He dropped in the wallow, so was a fun crazy skinning and gutting job...

[Linked Image]

I got to pack him out from behind the first peak in this photo, through the saddle on the right, down the slide which the photo does not do justice to and back up to where the last pic was taken from. It took 7 trips on foot.

[Linked Image]

We have taken 5 bulls out of there....I am getting to old for that schitt crazy

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Okanagan,

That sounds good!

My easiest moose was killed on the edge of a wheatfield in Alberta. The farmer who owned the land brought a front-end loader and a flatbed trailer--though we gutted the bull on the ground before lifting him onto the trailer with the FEL.
That's by FAR the easiest moose "pack" I've ever seen. One of the others involved quartering up a bull for putting on packhorses--while a grizzly was wanting to come in and take the meat. Luckily, all he did was spook the packhorses, but it was interesting taking apart the moose with my rifle slung UNDER my body so it would be really handy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I can -almost- top that. grin

the moose pictured with the double rifle was shot hilltop-to-hilltop (about 100yds). It fell to the shot.

I gutted it and gave it 3 good shoves, whereupon it came to rest at the side of the road in the bottom of the canyon.

I stayed with it while a friend went for help. Four of us loaded it into the truck (whole) and I was home by 9:00a.m.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will see you one and raise you one more.

My brother-in-law and I were hunting moose south of Ignace, Ont and never got a chance at a bull for 6 days, so went back to the base camp cabin to resupply. Went to town that afternoon and stopped at a tavern for something to eat and drink. Some loggers came in and we struck up a conversation with them and told them our sad story. They said they were logging east of there and have seen several moose.

We met them at their job site the next day and got directions to hunt. By 1000am we had two nice bulls down within a 1/4 of a mile from where they were logging. A logger dragged the two bulls to their loading yard with a Pettibone log skidder. Some other loggers hoisted the bulls up with what they called a log jammer and we proceeded to gut, skin and quarter.

At the end of their shift the loggers helped us haul the quarters into the local town butcher/freezer shop.

Easy come, easy go.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dead moose on ground....

[Linked Image]

Close up of dead moose....

[Linked Image]

How load load a moose the easy way....

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our tough ones have always been moose. Last fall my buddy (76 y.o.) shot one that dropped in a pond with just the paunch showing. We had a small come-along but no rope big enough for the job. We started at 8 p.m. to get the moose on shore, remove the entrails and prop up to cool overnight. We got back to our cabin at 3 a.m. Since I'm also in my mid 70's I wasn't much help. My
s-i-l (who had a bad cold at the time) did yeoman service. Without him we would still be there eating.

Back in the '70s I dropped one in the water deep enough to almost cover him. No trees close enough to use the come-along. My brother had the only pair of chest waders on hand and they only fit him. Three of us couldn't pull him out of the water. My brother then proceeded to gut him in the water. Still couldn't move him.

In order to get the moose out he had to cut the moose in half while in the water. Three of us were then just able to pull the halves out.

The episode from last fall was enough to almost make my buddy and myself decide to quit hunting. Fortunately we managed to partner up with some other old friends so we are still on for this fall.

Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the mid-1980s, Bearrr264 drew a moose tag in Maine. Being the loyal hunting partner that I am, I went along to help recover the moose. So, the Bearrrr was shooting a Remington 81 in 300 Savage and shot a moose at the edge of a beaver meadow. Bang! and a 180 grain bullet zips into the lungs. The moose starts to run, I yell "shoot him again!", Bearrrr says "no, he's dead, he just doesn't know it.". Well, that GD moose didn't know that he was dead just long enough to get into a beaver pond full of ice cold water. I've seldom been colder and don't know if we would have gotten it out without the help of a chainsaw powered winch and the mechanical advantage of a pully system.

The Bearrr said, correctly, that it was a learning experience for both of us. Shoot to put 'em on the ground ASAP.

JEff

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.