Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Brad makes a good point. Know your own feet. I don't wear trail shoes for backpacking in steep country.

I took a weeklong backpacking trip over steep, rocky Ozark trails about fifteen years ago wearing lightweight dayhiker boots. I had been wearing those boots a lot on long dayhikes and weekend trips and liked wearing those shoe like boots. My pack was heavy and I covered a lot of miles the last two days out. I didn't have blisters but my feet were wrecked. I couldn't have carried a pack the day after I came out. The boots just didn't provide enough protection from the rocky trail while I was carrying a heavy load at a fast pace.

Conditioning counts too I believe. If you're pre-trip preparation includes lots of climbing and hiking in light boots, you're more likely to be ok. I think your feet and ankles respond to more flexible shoes by getting stronger.

For hunting/backpacking in the mountains, I now wear a pair of synthetic, goretex lined, mountaineering boots. The sole is very stiff and the boot provides good ankle support. They only weigh about 3 pounds. They're not my favorite for dayhikes as the sole is so stiff that it kind of forces me to shorten my pace.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like my meindl grand junction, they are built kinda like a tenny runner, but have gortex and an aggressive sole. the heel is narrow enough for my feet which are narrow.

I would wear them on my august archery hunt however looking at my other hunting boots that have gauges and scrapes all over the leather some almost going through the leather!!! I don't think a shoe like these would hold up to the abuse of twigs, sage, and other stuff I typically encounter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Living within 20 miles of the Smokies, my wife and I do alot of hiking, mostly the day variety. We routinely do 10-12 miles in an afternoon. We are planning a couple of longer hikes later this summer and I've been playing with socks and shoes. Up front, for me, shoes won't cut it for elk hunting. I have feet issues and find I need more support than a shoe offers for a week long elk hunt.

That said, I do hunt in warmer weather with a couple pair of short boots - Merill Phaser Peaks and Evo mids. Neither are exceptionally waterproof, especially the Evo. I really dig the Phasers though. I wore them for 8 days in the Selway 2 years ago chasing bugling bulls in September. They did get wet but I was hiking alot of miles over some pretty steep terrain. I had no issues with my feet but was only carrying a daypack.

I've worn the Evo this past spring in turkey season and really liked them but again had very little weight on my back. I'd not likely take them on an elk rifle hunt but wouldn't think twice on a MZ or archery hunt.

On a side note, I'm also looking at sock options and have 3-4 pairs of Smartwool I'm trying. I have light and medium cushion and will be trying heavy cushion next. We did 9 miles with ~ a 20 lb pack (elk conditioning) last Sunday PM with the Evos and feet felt great. I'm thinking the combination of medium/heavy cushion in a sturdy shoe/light boot is the ticket for carrying heavy loads.

I sympathize with the OP. I wear Cabelas Elk Hunters (Danner) for most of my elk needs but they are heavy - right at 4 lbs. The only issue i have with these is my big toe will be numb after a week of heavy elk hunting. Podiatrist says it is a combination of cold weather, tight boots, and prolonged wear. Danner Pronghorns are lighter but definetly not waterproof, despite what they say, and won't hold up like my Elk Hunters.

Someone needs to invent a 400 gram, waterproof boot with sturdy last and footbed - weighing 3 lbs. I'd pay a significant sum of money for that combination...........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,564
Posts18,531,693
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.