Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Blackheart
What bullets can you still get in .222 mag. factory loads ? Geeze, I didn't even know anybody was still loading them at all ! Some so called "varmint" bullets work pretty damned good on deer. I killed a bunch with win. and Hornady, 55 gr. sp's out of a .223 for example. My point is, don't discount all of the so called varmint bullets cuz some are alot tougher than you'd think.

You may be right, but he doesn't reload, he doesn't shoot much, and there ain't many choices in factory ammo for the 222RM. How would he ever KNOW if those particular varmint bullets are "tough"?
He could start by shooting them into wet newspapers to see whether they mushroom and penetrate or fragment. Truth is, outside of such as Hornady V-Max, Sierra Blitz, Nosler BT,Expander etc. I've not found many varmint bullets to be as all fired "frangible" as many would have you believe.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes he could, but the point is he probably won't. He doesn't have the interest to shoot more. He doesn't have the interest to reload. So the best answer is just to have him use a more suitable cartridge, No?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Chaser
Funny that the 223 on deer is the best deer round since sliced bread, but a 222 mag wont work...

Billy

Funny how many people posses the inability to comprehend the written word.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by southtexas
What bullets can you still get in .222 mag. factory loads ? Geeze, I didn't even know anybody was still loading them at all ! Some so called "varmint" bullets work pretty damned good on deer. I killed a bunch with win. and Hornady, 55 gr. sp's out of a .223 for example. My point is, don't discount all of the so called varmint bullets cuz some are alot tougher than you'd think.

You may be right, but he doesn't reload, he doesn't shoot much, and there ain't many choices in factory ammo for the 222RM. How would he ever KNOW if those particular varmint bullets are "tough"?
He could start by shooting them into wet newspapers to see whether they mushroom and penetrate or fragment. Truth is, outside of such as Hornady V-Max, Sierra Blitz, Nosler BT,Expander etc. I've not found many varmint bullets to be as all fired "frangible" as many would have you believe.

Most of the older 55 SP Remington loadings are pretty stout bullets, not anywhere near as explosive as the ones listed here, but not even close to the margins of the TSX.

To my knowledge, the only present factory loads are 40 and 50 gr. BT loads by Nosler.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Chaser
Funny that the 223 on deer is the best deer round since sliced bread, but a 222 mag wont work...

Billy

Funny how many people posses the inability to comprehend the written word.

Thanks...beat me to it. You only have one chance to make a first impression....Chaser made his...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I think the .223 type round with a suitable bullet is fine for a rifle loony. In fact I have thought about trying my .220 Swift just for [bleep] and giggles.
But my BIL is hardly ever home, and when he is, he has a honey do list as long as a football field. I managed to discourage him this year but we will have to wait and see what happens next year. The funny thing is he has a 300 WSM and a 7mm Magnum but he says they kick to much. He bought those for elk hunting.
For where we hunt a .338 Federal would make a better choice.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The funny thing is he has a 300 WSM and a 7mm Magnum but he says they kick to much. He bought those for elk hunting.

Then he shouldn't use them for that either.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
222mag sorry nothing less than a .223 will do. There's magic in the extra .001 you know. What? what's that you say? they actually shoot the same bullets at about the same speeds. Surely not. Really? Well then never mind. Actually I agree about the don't use a varmint bullet part in any caliber especially 22's.

Last edited by bangeye; 03/11/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My uncle has one of these. 55gr softpoint in the slats. kills them nicely.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,694
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.