Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Read that the moose are going away, due to heat or parasites. If parasites, the deer herd might face reduction. They state the herd on Isle Royal is declining too. But theres no deer there. Does the DNR understand we might have too many wolves? I don't think we can reduce the deer herd there unless we are willing to supplement the wolf diet with household pets and toddlers. Sometime I wonder alittle about policy, sometimes I wonder alot!

GB1

T
OP Offline
T
I'm willing to volunteer the wife's little dog if that helps!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how long you've lived in Northern Minnesota, but the moose first started "dying out" in the mid-1960's due to a brain parasite that was transmitted from deer. They probably started "dying out" before that, but I was too young to know about it. They've been "dying out" several times since then. The latest reason is a mite that causes irritation/rubbing/loss of hair and resultant lack of protection against the cold. I'm sure wolves contribute to losses, but that's a balancing act that nature figured out a long time ago.

T
OP Offline
T
Mesabi,
Very true. Been here all my life, and the moose were never going to make a comeback. But have seen the deer herd suffer much as the wolf numbers increase, and cannot help but believe they are impacting the moose numbers too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure I'm gonna pizz some Jack Pine Savages off here, but why are we still hunting them if we know the herd's in trouble? 'Just doesn't seem like management through hunting, even on a limited basis is in the best interest of the herd at this time.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite frankly, I don't think the DNR has a very good handle on whether the herd is decreasing, increasing, or staying the same. I am somewhat confident, however, that they'll make the numbers match their agenda.

T
OP Offline
T
I agree with both of you. They are very good at not handling it well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't think the amount that is taking durring hunting is that signifigant. I may be worng. A number of years ago hunters were no longer able to take cows/calves. I have not seen a bull moose in MN for quite some time now.

I usually see 3 or more moose a year durring grouse hunting expeditions and have only seen cows/calves lately.

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hard to believe global warming is the issue after this winter.........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I sure use to run into Bull Moose enough in the 80s hunting north of Chisholm by about 40 to 50 miles...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm sure I'm gonna pizz some Jack Pine Savages off here, but why are we still hunting them if we know the herd's in trouble? 'Just doesn't seem like management through hunting, even on a limited basis is in the best interest of the herd at this time.

Exactly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I don't think the amount that is taking durring hunting is that signifigant. I may be worng. A number of years ago hunters were no longer able to take cows/calves. I have not seen a bull moose in MN for quite some time now.

I usually see 3 or more moose a year durring grouse hunting expeditions and have only seen cows/calves lately.

Sumptin has to pork 'em!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have noticed a heavy reduction in moose numbers since the '80's.

Just east of Northern Dave's home town there were lots of moose. I mean lots. And now I haven't seen one around there in 20 years.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
In the late 1980's we used to see several individual or groups of moose during deer season SW of Middle River, MN. Some years over 15 different moose were seen at our camp. Now it is rare to see one or even come across tracks in the same area. One year while sitting in a portable deer stand, I had four young antlered bulls rubbing on the tree I was in. Another year a cow bedded down a few feet from a permanent stand while I was in it. Another year, while grouse hunting, a large bull came charging through the brush and nearly stepped on me. Another year 8 moose came across a field as a group while we were in camp. Starting in the mid 90's we noticed a drop in numbers in our area and now they are virtually non existent there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I happen to be your southern neighbor but love MN. Haven't the wolves always been there; it seems so as long as I've been alive anyway. What then would explain their decline since the late 80's, early 90's?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
In our area, the decline has been primarily blamed on the tick that causes the moose to rub themselves to scratch the itch and removes their hair which causes them to die from exposure. We have certainly seen a significant increase in wolf sign in our area over the last twenty years also. There have even been increased sightings and sign from cougars in our area over that period. Wolves were always in NE MN but not a prevelant in the NW area or in central MN as they are now. Just last month an 80 pound wolf was shot by a coyote hunter in the Red River Valley east of Hillsboro, ND. That is a rare sighting for that flat farm country area but additional evidence that their range is expanding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That is very interesting. I bet most non-residents don't know how wild and woolly northern Minny is. That is some wild and wooly country west to east.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Wolves were always in NE MN but not a prevelant in the NW area or in central MN as they are now. Just last month an 80 pound wolf was shot by a coyote hunter in the Red River Valley east of Hillsboro, ND. That is a rare sighting for that flat farm country area but additional evidence that their range is expanding.

Oops. grin

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The shooter self reported the incident and have not heard if he is being charged. They did DNA testing to verify it was a wolf.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Great state and Im glad I moved here. I just wish what ever is befalling the moose population would cross over and infect all the damn liberals down in Manyappleless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,489
Posts18,509,004
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.