S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
🙌🏻

Guyintheswamp

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Cummins-, I agree about price. My first two cars were less than an entry level R93, but the most noteworthy thing about them for me was the modular system. Barrel, bolts, and even bolt faces were interchangeable on the serialized stock/receiver while maintaining stellar accuracy with cartridges running the gamut from say a .222 to a 300 Wby.

You could have a right-hand rifle, buy a left-hand bolt, and slip it in the action for a right-minded kid or friend.

The other noteworthy item was Blaser’s proprietary ring/base set with with wings rotating into matching indents in the receiver, making removing and replacing simple, and quick while maintaining zero.

I don’t have them any longer as priorities change but my overall opinion of them has not changed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by goodnews

The R93 In some iteration is what you usually see although there may be some new R8s now too. It's--the R93--fairly popular having sold over a 100k rifles and that was early in the decade.

Seems you know a lot about "them" (ie, more money than sense). What has been your experience with Blasers? The incredible accuracy? The take-down feature that let's you switch scoped barrels in different case head sizes in minutes? The light, compact ergonomics? The long list of of wood grades/synthetic and chambering choices? The detachable scope mounts that hold scope zero or fits on any other barrel?

I see what you mean. Nothing there anybody who is into rifles would like..
Europeans love them because many European countries only allow ownership of one rifle, and with the Blaser you can have one rifle in just about as many calibers as you like.

"Europeans love them because many European countries only allow ownership of one rifle." This is a common misconception. Many European countries have relatively liberal gun laws. A good example is France. I huntednot long ago in Finland with several European gun writers, one a French guy who regularly read American shooting magazines. Among other things, he owned almost 50 centerfire rifles, and several semiauto handguns.

Same deal in Germany--if you have enough money. It's a country with 80 million people in the same area as Montana, which has a little over a million people. There's a little public land, but almost all hunting takes place on private land, and consequently most hunters are pretty wealthy. They're used to paying a LOT more for rifles than we are, and also expect very high quality, including accuracy many Americans only expect from custom rifles. Plus, they travel a lot to hunt, so appreciate the handiness of Blasers.

I've actually shot Blasers (and other German rifles) and can appreciate their fine qualities. Don't own a Blaser now, mostly because I don't travel as much. But don't see why $1000 for another barrel is out of line, when many custom rifle companies in the U.S. charge close to that much to rebarrel a Remington 700--and the Blaser barrels are interchangeable, without any change in point of impact.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is seemingly something American about needing a $60k truck but not demanding more than 100-year old firearm designs at the lowest of prices. And it far preceded our addiction to cheap and cheaply made Chinese goods. A generalization I know.

Your comments on the German population and German hunters is interesting. On MAPS, as you look at Europe, there is a point in the “zooming” where the highways in Germany are so densely shown as to make the rest of Europe look uninhabited.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too expensive?

Well?
Off the top of my head there are 5 Sako's in the safe tat havent
made a loud noise in over a decade. And they have some less distinguished
company.

Money? Brains?

Too tight to pony up the Bla$$er money.
But not because I really couldn't.

Bet most who bitch about similar priced guns are the same.

Guy at work wants a handgun for his wife.
Recommended a 365, Hellcat, smaller Glock...

"I ain't spending $500 for a pistol. Looking at a SCCY $300."

"Yeah, but in 5 years you can sell a good one used for what you paid.
The P.O.S. will have lost half its cost. Which is cheaper."

Pissed him off. Seems to be a common condition!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Is it appropriate for a Texican to use the term "Mea Culpa"?

I own and shoot Blasers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The K95's are sweet shooters, easy to tote and quite accurate.

Top: 30-06 Springfield
Bottom, 270 Win.

and, I'm a sucker for good wood!

I've a number of iterations of the R93 including an off-road synthetic stock. One can change out barrels in a matter of minutes and scopes return to zero every time.

R93, 9.3 x 62

My current fav is a two barrel set,

R93 Grand Luxe Stutzen

30-06 Springfield and 9.3 x 62

Hoglet taken @ 176 yds with 180 gr. Cor-Lokts LOL, 30-06 Barrel.

ya!

GW

Last edited by geedubya; 06/03/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't WLP use a Blaser on his elephant hunt? I don't remember exactly.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My Ph in Namibia, an old German naturally, had the R93’s precursor: the R84.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.