Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Is there a source that has many different paterns on hand for the 1899? perch belly, shotgun but, pistol grip, pre 90k after 90k? Who have you used in the past?
Thanks Chris

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd NOT go the way of Macon Stocks. As a matter of fact, I would choose the way of a 3rd grader whittlin' away with a pocket knife before I went that route.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boses in NE.

Oe call Wenigs

Andrew
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
358wsm, you got a piece of crap duplicated stock from them too I see.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Could you gents be more specific, like maybe a telephone # etc. I need a stock for a 1899 in .38-55. I think I have found a butt plate. It has an EG stock on it now and is not acceptable. It is an incredible shooter though!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
www.bosesofnebraska.com

Good work fitting it to the receiver, but they leave the wood proud to the metal at the tang from what I've seen. Might want to order it unfinished so that you can sand it to a perfect fit.

They have some patterns on hand, mostly thanks to Stever. Give them a call.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mw406
358wsm, you got a piece of crap duplicated stock from them too I see.

Actually I got a BEAUTIFUL stock... I think if you search my posts and look for it back on my first 3 pages you can see it. (Having trouble posting pics)

You'll also see back on those pages my whole run a round with Mr. Macon.

I'd not want another member here to have to experience that.

The wood however is beautiful, but that had nothing to do with Macon... thinkin that "someone" else created the tree.

My smith was able to get it to fit, with a lot of reworking...

Sorry I know that the OP was looking for a good place to get a stock, not info on a place to avoid... just trying to give a heads up.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
while were at it... I know a lot of ppl like to throw Boses out there and even I am guilty but the recent post helped me recall I had a stock smith tell me recently that he received a duplicated blank from Boses and said he was just barely able to get it to work, was not overall impressed with their work and highly recommend another source... his first choice was Wenigs.

Andrew
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
anybody ever try these guys ?
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-s

I had one made by macon didn't think it was all that bad, but maybe there is better ?

plab

Last edited by Plab; 03/12/11.

Gotta love them 303's
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
CTW,
Hi, IMO, one gunstock duplicator or another, you are going to get okay stuff and then less then okay stuff.
If you must insist on a pre-inlet then go to Al Lind and ask him if he can do it. It isn't going to be cheap but it will be right. (By the way he is still using the first prototype duplicator that Don Allen had built +30 years ago. I know because I built the machine for Don)

However, if it would be me and it is not that more difficult to make your new stock from the blank. Save the duplication cost and put it into the quality of blank. It takes only slightly longer to make a stock from a blank, but not in reality because you don't have to try to overcome the issues you will have on a pre-inlet.

Making a gunstock or for that matter anything else is always knowing where you are in a project. What are the reference points. On a blank you have the centerline which is the key. On a pre-inlet no centerline, no reference points.

This is my educated opinion and offered here only in the spirit of sharing the knowledge.

Best of luck

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plab

sHIZ FOR the money

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Originally Posted by Plab

sHIZ FOR the money

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-stocks.htm

$49 for a Savage m99 Semi inlet with the thru bolt hole drilled made from good Eastern black walnut?

How bad does a SEMI INLET stock have to be in order not to be worth $49 ?

Especially in 2011 dollars. wink

Last edited by jim62; 03/12/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one stock blank from gunstockinc and it looked like it was just barely going to work. I bought it for a junky old EG many years ago and realized it was not worth my time and effort. Not even sure what I will do with it these days. The price was decent.

Andrew
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
How bad does a SEMI INLET stock

just barely going to work

realized it was not worth my time and effort

Put these 3 quotes together and they answer the first question and say why a semi inlet is the wrong choice.
"How bad" because it is "not worth the effort"
The materials for a project are the lowest cost item, the labor is the high priced component.
The work is exactly the same for a beautiful piece of wood as it is for a $49 piece except when your done you have a wonderful stock that you love to look at and with a $49 job you have a "cheap" $49 stock. frown

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LRF
How bad does a SEMI INLET stock

just barely going to work

realized it was not worth my time and effort

Put these 3 quotes together and they answer the first question and say why a semi inlet is the wrong choice.
"How bad" because it is "not worth the effort"
The materials for a project are the lowest cost item, the labor is the high priced component.
The work is exactly the same for a beautiful piece of wood as it is for a $49 piece except when your done you have a wonderful stock that you love to look at and with a $49 job you have a "cheap" $49 stock. frown

You are confusing wood grades with WORKMANSHIP.

I agree with your point about using decently figured wood given the time required to do the fitting and finish.

I was talking about the milling work that was done for that kind of $$.

My point is that many folks who buy semi inlet stocks off of a machine expect a fully fitted buttstock (about $400 milled and hand fitted) for peanuts...

That is not going to happen on a m99 Savage stock set..

Semi- inlet is just that - semi inlet.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can a sure you I have never been confused about wood and workmanship!

$49 for a Savage m99 Semi inlet ...... made from good Eastern black walnut?

I believe your statement implies $49 for the machining and materials, does it or doesn't it?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LRF
I can a sure you I have never been confused about wood and workmanship!

$49 for a Savage m99 Semi inlet ...... made from good Eastern black walnut?

I believe your statement implies $49 for the machining and materials, does it or doesn't it?

I think you are looking for an argument where there is none.

Like Is said - I was talking about a $49 standard grade stock.

High grade wood has nothing to do my point about Ed Perkins labor prices..

If you take say $10 off the cost of Ed's $49 standard grade buttstocks for the cost of the standard grade buttstock blank, that is a paltry $39 for milling the semi inlet stock and drilling the thru-bolt hole.

There are plenty of wood turners out there that charge more than $39 to ONLY drill the thru bolt hole.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LRF
CTW,
Hi, IMO, one gunstock duplicator or another, you are going to get okay stuff and then less then okay stuff.
If you must insist on a pre-inlet then go to Al Lind and ask him if he can do it. It isn't going to be cheap but it will be right. (By the way he is still using the first prototype duplicator that Don Allen had built +30 years ago. I know because I built the machine for Don)

However, if it would be me and it is not that more difficult to make your new stock from the blank. Save the duplication cost and put it into the quality of blank. It takes only slightly longer to make a stock from a blank, but not in reality because you don't have to try to overcome the issues you will have on a pre-inlet.

Making a gunstock or for that matter anything else is always knowing where you are in a project. What are the reference points. On a blank you have the centerline which is the key. On a pre-inlet no centerline, no reference points.

This is my educated opinion and offered here only in the spirit of sharing the knowledge.

Best of luck

Exactly right on all counts...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If that were true, it would have been impossible for the Savage Factory itself to have ever fitted all their OWN "pre- inlet" machine turned stocks on Savage m99 rifles..

All for the lack of a "centerline"... grin

NOTHING precludes ANY machined semi inlet from being perfectly final fitted as LONG as the machined stock does not have too much wood removed from it during milling.

As long as the inletting is truly undersized , AND the outside left a bit oversized, there should be no more problems than fitting a stock made from the block.

To all gunmaker critics-
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sitka,
Thank you, I know that you speak from much much experience. I can only say I also was speaking from my experience, that many here also could verify.

I will continue, with the years I have left, working with only best quality wood, from the blank and leave others to do what they please.

CTW, I only participated here to pass on my knowledge.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.