Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I admit that most 375 H&H's are heavier than they need to be....that said,at least one member here had his M70 Classic barrel turned down....another had it fluted.Both methods cut weight considerably....

OR, you can build a 375H&H....you will get a rifle just as light as any 375 Ruger.I know....I have one.

Last Ruger African I weighed(nice rifle!)was 8 pounds naked. Add scope and rings, you're at 9 pounds.Still not bad for a 375 of any type, but a full pound hevaier than my 375H&H.

I like the Ruger 375 real well...great cartridge but not enough more of anything to make me switch over.

Bob, what stock is your 375 custom in? if you dropped the wood from the Ruger and dressed it in an ultralight stock, you might be able to save a few ounces....what about bottom metal, is your custom ultralight aluminum?
on top of that... and no knock to customs at all... the cost per ounce in that pound of weight difference are pretty expensive... a Ruger 375 can be had for around $700... my guess is that is about what you have in the barrel alone.

I'm not even sure what is out there for the 375 ruger but maybe the OP is best off to grab one and make some mods to lighten it up.

lovemy99:My 375 is built on a pre 64 M70 action,custom contoured barrel and Brown Precision stock.It was built back in the 80's and is on it's second barrel.With two piece base,rings, and 4X scope it weighs 8 pounds on the nose.

We can confuse factory rifles and custom here.Like I said,most factory H&H's have heavier barrels than needed. The bottom line is that the difference, in weight,between any 375(whether H&H or Ruger),is in barrel contour,and stock.

Ruger did a great job in the African and Alaskan,using a nicely contoured barrel,and in the African,a nicely shaped stock to give the rifle a trim contour and reasonable weight.I don't care for the Alaskan stock at all but that's a matter of preference.

My only point is not to disparage the 375 Ruger,nor the rifles.....only to point out that if you are building a rifle,you can build one just as light as the other in either caliber by getting a lighter barrel and stock.That is where the weight savings will be.....not in the "shorter action" of the Ruger chambering,as I have seen erroneously stated on here.The actions are not shorter on the Ruger; the magazine length and bolt throw are shorter....that's all.

In a factory offering, the Ruger is lighter than, say, a M70 Classic in 375.OTOH custom makers have been building H&H's that weigh exactly what the Ruger rifles weigh, for decades,in both synthetic, and higher end wood stocks.

It would be dead nuts simple to build a factory offering in 375H&H tomorrow that is just as light as the 375 Rugers;but manufacturer's are sometimes slow to catch on with many things.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/04/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BigS-

I pretty much see it that way too. As much as I'm nostalgic for the H&H and love it's excellence in moderation, the Ruger is the H&H in a more compact package and that includes the Hawkeye African rifle. I used the H&H in Africa and came to an appreciation for what's been known for decades now. That said I'm a lefty and am getting a Ruger African in their version of 375. The CZ 550's specs sound more appropriate for the 416s--too long and heavy for me. Of course I'm talking OTC rifles not custom.

The stuff about traveling with cartridges that get lost I think is over blown; I can think of 5 or 10 things that concern me more on An international flight than that.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/06/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
BigS-

I pretty much see it that way too. As much as I'm nostalgic for the H&H and love it's excellence in moderation, the Ruger is the H&H in a more compact package and that includes the Hawkeye African rifle. I used the H&H in Africa and came to an appreciation for what's been known for decades now. That said I'm a lefty and am getting a Ruger African in their version of 375. The CZ 550's specs sound more appropriate for the 416s--too long and heavy for me. Of course I'm talking OTC rifles not custom.

The stuff about traveling with cartridges that get lost I think is over blown; I can think of 5 or 10 things that concern me more on An international flight than that.
...............Yep! It`s not just the 375 Ruger round, it is also the rifles too. A shorter, better handling, and handier packaged 375 rifle such as my Ruger Alaskan with its 20" barrel which duplicates 24" and 25" tubed 375 H&H ballistics, was and still is quite appealing.

And imo, lost rifles and ammo, is over blown. The African PHs have the situation covered should that occur with their back-up rifles and ammo.

But anytime new cartridges are intro`d that easily overlaps the `ol tried, true, and proven standbys etc, there are always going to be those detractors saying either,,,,"the new round won`t last",,,"there`s no need for it",,,"why for",,,"we have too many 375`s already",,,"what if you can`t find ammo?",,,"what if the rifle and ammo is lost in transit?",,,and on, and on, and on.

The 375 Ruger already has and will continue to blow its detractors (so called marketing geniuses) and their predictions completely out of the water. cry mad.... A few or maybe many diehard H&H fans imo, are just a foaming at the mouth waiting for the day when the 375 Ruger dramatically declines in popularity and/or goes bye-bye for good. whistle

You know who you are, and you`ll be waiting a very, very, very, very long time. sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep

Booowaa,,,hahahahahahahahahaha!............... laugh laugh laugh laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
BigS-

..............The 375 Ruger already has and will continue to blow its detractors (so called marketing geniuses) and their predictions completely out of the water. cry mad.... A few or maybe many diehard H&H fans imo, are just a foaming at the mouth waiting for the day when the 375 Ruger dramatically declines in popularity and/or goes bye-bye for good. whistle

You know who you are, and you`ll be waiting a very, very, very, very long time. sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep
...........I can think of one!..........HI SWAMPY!!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not bashing either the .300 H&H or .375 H&H rounds as they are classics with a proven track record but when the .375 Ruger came out I predicted that it would eventually supplant the .375 H&H for the same reason that the .300 Win supplanted the .300 H&H. It does everything the H&H design does, is a more modern design and fits in a standard length action.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It does everything that the 375 H&H does except feed as well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I can't make a direct comparison as I've never had an H&H. I will say that my Alaskan has yet to have any feeding issues.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A model 70 in 375 H&H will feed empty cases. The sloping body taper aids in feeding and extration both of which are big PLUES in a dangerous game rifle, something that Phil apparently has forgotten

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
given Phils opinions tend to be tempered in use while actually going after dangerous game i tend to give his opinions some weight....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rattler
given Phils opinions tend to be tempered in use while actually going after dangerous game i tend to give his opinions some weight....

And rewmeber his daughter had a jam with a Ruger and the Hornady ammo, that would not have happen with a M-70 and its cone breach which also aids in feeding. The jam could have had an unhappy ending if the bear had of pressed on,

But of coures you can follow that path if you wish

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

A model 70 in 375 H&H will feed empty cases. The sloping body taper aids in feeding and extration both of which are big PLUES in a dangerous game rifle, something that Phil apparently has forgotten

I have used the 375 H&H for over thirty years and am quite familiar with it's virtues. I have also done considerable shooting with the 375 Ruger and for my use - which is actually hunting big bears rather than speculating about it , and I don't see any reason to load empties, I'll take the Ruger.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win

I have used the 375 H&H for over thirty years and am quite familiar with it's virtues. I have also done considerable shooting with the 375 Ruger and for my use - which is actually hunting big bears rather than speculating about it , and I don't see any reason to load empties, I'll take the Ruger.

And the jams? Straight wall cases do not feed as well as tapered cases, no speculation just a fact

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And rewmeber his daughter had a jam with a Ruger and the Hornady ammo, that would not have happen with a M-70 and its cone breach which also aids in feeding.

that is pure speculation and BS as I have been on a stalk with another of my guides who was using a M-70 375 H&H and when the bear charged the bulet jacket of his second round caught on the sharp edge of the damned coned breech and he bent the round so bad that after I had finally killed the bear with the third shot it was only 20 feet from him he was still trying to extract the bent round. the problem I mentioned about my daughter's rifle was simply due to the shape and construction of the Hornady DGX bullet. they cause problems in both of my 375 H&H's as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And the jams? Straight wall cases do not feed as well as tapered cases, no speculation just a fact

Is that is why 45acp pistols are much less reliable than 9mm's ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Now you want to compare a center feed hand gun round to a staggered feed bolt gun. You are a funny amn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought we were talking feeding issues and cartridge shapes and you said it was no speculation but "fact". Care to elaborate and explain to all of us why your favorite pistol is different?
Are you in the habit of loading empties in it as well?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a question about the Ruger Alaskan. Can you close the bolt on a round hand fed into the chamber giving you 3+1 capacity?

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can on the one's I have tried and for your information you can as well with even military M-98 actions if you pinch the middle of the extractor as you close the bolt.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
as soon as i can find an alaskan with the barrel band, i'm gonna get one and slap it in a paddle stock with either a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 leupold and be ready for anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phoneman
as soon as i can find an alaskan with the barrel band, i'm gonna get one and slap it in a paddle stock with either a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 leupold and be ready for anything.

that makes about as rugged, light, lithe and lethal a rifle as you can make - but you can see I used the Ruger sling swivel rather than the barrel band.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.