Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i have a 17 remington fireball that shoots straight and fast as the day is long. it wears a 14 power Nikon that I adore more than any other scope in my arsenal. in fact, i am slowly trying to replace all my scopes with Nikons. i have owned and shot lots of different brands and i keep going back to the Nikon's. my friend is picking up a vortex pretty soon for his 22-250, looking forward to checking that out.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now most of our rifles are wearing Leupold & Bushnell Tactical scopes! The power is 5 x 15 for the most part but I do have a 6 x 24 & an 8 x 32 that hasn't been really tested as of yet, hope to this weekend with the 25-06.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a walking varminter a 3-9x40, 2-10x40 or 3-12x40 are good choices. I like the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 Side Focus.

Have to be OUT THERE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintLooney
No one can convince me that they can consistently and accurately shoot center mass of a 10� tall and 3� wide gopher at 200 yards using a 9-power scope.

Well then I won't try and this will be for the rest of you guys out there........Any shot I've missed at 200 yards with 9x magnification has been my fault not a lack of magnification. 200 yards isn't far and with 9x it's like shooting 1x at 22 yards. Who here can't hit a 2" target with a rifle zero magnification at 22 yards? Magnification does not correct shooting errors. Now on a dedicated varmint rifle I'd go bigger than 3-9x without a doubt but for 200 yards a miss isn't the scope fault.

In general, I think most shooters are over scoped for the job at hand. With a 2-7x on my predator guns I would be fairly confident that any shot I miss out to 400 yards was due to my bad judgment of range/wind or my bad shooting. Where as I know I've had close up critters get away clean due to too much magnification. Case in point: I had shot a bedded fox one morning and had turned my 4-16x to 10x. Later that day we spotted a moving coyote heading down a fence row. I got around the section, got out of the truck and waited. A couple minutes later the coyote popped up over a hill at dead run. When he hit the 75 yard mark I pulled up the rifle and couldn't get on target to save my life. Forgot to turn the scope down and the yote disappeared without a shot being fired.

On a walking gun the most scope I'd go with is 4-16x, probably less.

CB

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Agree with Chris. 3-10x is all you need on a walking varmint...And keep the setting magnification on the low end....You always have time to dial up on a long shot....Never time to dial down on a close shot.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The biggest issue is going to be the thickness of your recticule!!! A medium size recticle will cover up that P-dog at 200 yards, you will need a scope with a very "FINE" recticle in a 4 x 12 power. I have even used a 2 x 7 FINE recticle on my 25-06 walking gun but I am shooting groundhogs understand, not P-dogs.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by VarmintLooney
My first prairie dog rifle, a 22-250, had a 15-power Weaver scope. It suited me well until I bought another 22-250 and tried a 6-24 scope on it. Since then I have had a ton of prairie dog and gopher rifles. Their scopes go up to at least 24-power except my K-Hornets. Since I do not shoot them much over 200 yards they wear 4-16 Nikons. VarmintGuy is right when he says, ��from time to time a few __ people will try to convince you that a 6 or 9 power scope is all you need...� A 9-power scope is an absolute handicap. No one can convince me that they can consistently and accurately shoot center mass of a 10� tall and 3� wide gopher at 200 yards using a 9-power scope. What happens if the animal is 300 yards away and the scope reticle covers the entire gopher? The only down side I find with the higher powers is the movement of the rifle at the shot is magnified and I may not see the results of the hit.

You mention a truck gun which is a different animal. It has to quickly be ready for coyotes, skunks and whatever. You usually have a rest on the window opening, a fender or a fence post. It should be a lighter and shorter rifle than what you would take out prairie doggin. My truck gun has a 12-power scope. Seldom is it required to shoot beyond 200 yards.
wow. after reading this I feel way lucky that the prarie dogs and crows I have shot over the years with a 3x9 and my favorite 4x12 Leupolds were pure luck, might want to see what the hunter rifle benchrest boys do with 6X at 200 yards Russ

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used to be a 3-9 guy. Now, 4.5-14 is perfect for these 55 year old eyes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im fond of the Nikon's also. The Pentax scopes are also nice varmint scopes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blanket
wow. after reading this I feel way lucky that the prarie dogs and crows I have shot over the years with a 3x9 and my favorite 4x12 Leupolds were pure luck, might want to see what the hunter rifle benchrest boys do with 6X at 200 yards Russ

Here is a picture of a prairie dog shoot I took to central Montana. There are elk below the ridge just above the orange box on the front of the quad. There are prairie dog mounds just over the ridge behind the box on the rear of the quad.
[Linked Image]

To hit these varmints at these distances with a 9-power and even a 12-power scope will be pure luck. These guys do not let you get within 200 yards and you have to shoot them at much longer distances. It is very difficult to carry a brenchrest bench with you, but you can try. Then you can use your 6-power and try to find a dog at 200 yards. I expect you will get very tired moving that bench within 200 yards only to pick it up and move it again when the dogs dissappear.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carlm.........Yeah, things do change for the worst with the eyes after 50 for sure, now when you hit 60 it will be a brand new experience. I had to change lenses twice in one year, then diebetes hit me and I have had to change lenses in my glasses every 6 months lately. I wish I was 55 yrs old again.....Wow!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 6.5-20 is just about perfect for shooting rodents. You keep it at 6.5 unless you are taking a long shot and need more precisions.

It can be a bit much for coyote calling though. I would rather have a lower power scope such as 2.5-8 for coyotes. As you don't need a lot of magnification to shoot coyotes and the lower power give you a wider field of view.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a ton of success using a 4 x 12 power scope for groundhogs, deer, antelope and so on. It just seems to fit the bill for most things, rifle usually weighs in at 8.25 with the scope attached.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shotgunjock
For those of you that hunt lot's of varmints, what magnification(s) do you find most useful?

Depends. I can't entirely separate the choice of scope from the choice of rifle and cartridge. There's "balance" to be had.

For a general purpose varminter, I like a Remington 700 VSSF pattern, 26" fluted varmint weight barrel, matched with a 6.5-20X scope.

For a walking rifle, I'll go with a lighter rifle and smaller scope. Anything 2.5-8X or 3-9X up to maybe 4-12x or 4-16X.

With a rifle you might want to deploy in a hurry, like a calling rifle, having everything fit you so the gun comes up with the crosshairs lined up is more important than any specific choice of scope, etc. So ... more than anything else ... it depends on what you are comfortable and familiar with.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
O

I use a 3x9 Redfield Illuminator (old scope) on my Remington 788, 22-250. You only ever use a variable on the lowest or highest setting. I do not recall a single instance where I needed 8X instead of 9X. IMO.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
In reality, you've got the experience in the three power ranges that most suggest for "their" ideal scope.

But if you were starting from scratch.....

I favor a 3.5-10 for a truck/calling gun,

a 4.5-14 with the Varmint Hunters reticle for prairie dogs/gophers,

and 15X and up, for waaaay out there.

This pretty much sums up my outlook and would add 6X for a truck/calling gun.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A Leupie VX-I 4-12x40 is housed in the same exact body as the standard 3-9. Seems to work just about perfect for most things that need to be shot from 150-300 yards. Keeps the size and weight down, gives a good variation on the low and high ends, and is reasonably priced. Can be had with dots too if so desired.

A
AlC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I haven't used one but seems like a Z6 Swarovski 3x18x50 (or maybe a 5x30x50) would be very nice for this use. Anyone used one?

Last edited by AlC; 03/15/11.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AlC
I haven't used one but seems like a Z6 Swarovski 3x18x50 (or maybe a 5x30x50) would be very nice for this use. Anyone used one?
Like puttin' a truck muffler on a weed wacker IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Observer

I use a 3x9 Redfield Illuminator (old scope) on my Remington 788, 22-250. You only ever use a variable on the lowest or highest setting. I do not recall a single instance where I needed 8X instead of 9X. IMO.

Our mileage do vary! There's a lot of truth to your comment, but I also shoot a lot of critters at medium range with one quick twist of the power ring without looking at it as the rifle comes up. On my old Redfield 2-7 that turned out to be 5.5 power, and on my new 2-7 it is 4 power. Such settings were checked after the shot to see what it was set on.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.