Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You know who they are. Block them back. If they can't list or sell, they may wish to unblock everyone they've "assaulted".

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Block everyone till the "lists" have no value.

The lists have value when they are monitored and used correctly but when they are not then it is time for them to be dumped. The only way I can think to stop there use would be to load so many names in to them that there is no one left to bid if you use one.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
+1

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
In fairness, I wonder how many of those complaining are serious internet sellers ?
Let's say feedback (GunBroker, Auction Arms, Ebay and GunsAmerica.com) of over 3000 or hold FFLs ?

Ebay, in particular, is so "buyer biased" that a seller cannot leave any feedback except positive, which leaves the seller up the creek except for the blocking option.

Not really aware of what is going on, on the gun sites except that appears to be some level of disagreement on how auctions should be run among the sites. GunBroker and Auction Arms are basically pure auctions where GunsAmerica is like the fixed price option on Ebay.

IME, sellers/buyers on Ebay are more serious than the gun sites and most, if not all, disagreements are worked out either by the buyers/sellers or with the help of PayPal or Ebay. Those mechanisms don't exist on the gun sites so perhaps that would be a worthwhile change.

As for "blocking everyone", that will make it difficult to sell anything and would be a really big job. By looking at a potential bidder/buyer's feedback, you can usually get a pretty good idea of what he buys and spends.

Finally, there is a difference between a courteous relevant question ("could you tell me the size of the boots you have listed) and trolls telling you how you should be listing or pricing your item. 100s of thousands of folks make thier living on the Internet, it's a business not a game.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Discourtesy is not a relevant cause for blocking a potential buyer. Harassment perhaps,lying, dishonesty, but not discourtesy. Ebay should have an "appeal" court whereby ill-advised blocking for spite results in loss of seller's privileges.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Like my mom used to say. It's always fun untill someone gets hurt.

Last edited by lowprofile; 03/15/11.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I find it kind of hard to believe that Larry/Bosslady/old man has not been put on the blocked list himself.

See if you can join that "buddy list" and put his handle on it.

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here are links to 3 sites that have blocking list that one can use - there are many more - Here's an example set up so all someone has to do is copy and past into their eBay blocked list - (I am not on any of these) - to look for your name on these just hit CTRL + F and a box will appear that will look for any text you type in it - this will only search the current screen buffer (what you can scoll to see) if you go to another page you will need to run it again.

http://www.firemeg.com/blockeda.htm

another that you have to sign up for to access - http://www.trustedblacklist.com/

On this last one page down and look at some of the comments - most by 'Anonymous'
[url=http://blacklistedebayers.blogspot.com/2009/05/blocked-buyerbidder-list.html
Here are some examples from that last list -
[Linked Image]

I have done enough buying on eBay to have ran into several sellers that range from no to good to total crooks - all used the threat of negative feedbacks for leverage in the transactions. Those who complain about eBays newer policy restricting negative feedback by sellers has to realize it was widespread abuse by sellers that brought that change about. I had one who emailed saying he no longer had the item and would refund the money - he did not use the normal refund but sent the funds directly through paypal which cost me their fee - he then managed to somehow flag me as an unpaying bidder even though I had the paypal reciept! That was so he would not be charged any fees - I left no feedback for him because I knew I would just get an negative back for myself. I did try to contact eBay about the nonpaying bidder but never got any response - this was a few years ago.

Gene
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
To update. Ebay now has a direct phone number on the site (as does Paypal) with real people to speak with. I have yet to find a problem they will not deal with in a profesional matter.

Your information is out of date. Sellers CANNOT LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK, no matter how slimy the buyer.The consortium of Ebay sellers who have banded together to share information on bad buyers, is no evil plot. Only a reaction to Ebay's policy that now prevents sellers almost any recourse against deadbeat buyers who use tricks like the "weighted empty box return" to steal merchandise and also get their money back.

I would note that my initial question:

"In fairness, I wonder how many of those complaining are serious internet
sellers ? Let's say feedback (GunBroker, Auction Arms, Ebay and GunsAmerica.com) of over 3000 or hold FFLs ?" has gone unanswered.

The silence speaks volumes.

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtdorarider
Your information is out of date. Sellers CANNOT LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK, no matter how slimy the buyer.The consortium of Ebay sellers who have banded together to share information on bad buyers, is no evil plot. Only a reaction to Ebay's policy that now prevents sellers almost any recourse against deadbeat buyers who use tricks like the "weighted empty box return" to steal merchandise and also get their money back.

My info is not out of date - I stated that the new shared block bidder lists are because of the recent restriction on negative feedback for sellers, my experience as mentioned was with the old system, and the wide spread abuse by sellers was the reason that they had to change the feedback system. Even with the new system many sellers are leaving 'negative positives' by giving an A and then making negative comments. I have been buying on ebay long enough to have been stuck several times - I still have almost always left a positive (or none at all) to keep from getting a negative for myself. If these groups of sellers start to abuse the system of blocking, eBay maybe forced to change that also. Do you really think it was abuse by buyers that caused eBay to change the rules for sellers?

I have accepted some real crap from a couple sellers and have always paid fast, and only returned two items for which both sellers still got positive feedback - and I get on a blocked list for "deadbeat buyers"? Please explain to me why?

No matter if you like, love, hate or dispise eBay I have found it sometimes to be the only place I have been able to find certain things - I wish there were an alternative but there isn't a good one now...and there may never be. It draws a lot of crooked buyers but it also draws a lot of crooked sellers.

I just asked one of the sellers again why I was blocked - this it the answer - "Who and what do you want from me I don't know you I don't want to know you it and if you died what would it matter to me. " I still don't know why I was blocked.

Gene
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still don't know why I was blocked

Because they can. Don't take much to piss off an eBay seller. Given the current situation of eBay the sellers hold all the cards. A boycott would work wonders but there aren't enough buyers willing to boycott eBay to its knees. Most buyers think that they have too much to lose as to the array of merchandise. 'Bout the best thing you can do is re-register under a new name or change your name if they still allow that. Don't go there often enough to know anymore. Your complaint is another example of where "life sucks" but if you change your name or re-register who'll know you've been blocked in the past. Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Unfortunately sometimes it bleeds over to gunbroker or other auction sites. That sucks. Life goes on.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
"Given the current situation of eBay the sellers hold all the cards."

LMAO, EVERY change Ebay has made in the past 5 years has been to punish sellers not buyers.

It would appear you are not an active Ebay seller or you would know this.

Try to sell a model Civil war cannon or a letter from Germany postmarked in 1940, try to get Ebay/PayPal not to refund all of some crook's money who bought a $500 scope from you and then sent you back a box of rocks that weighed the same, I could go on for pages, but if you google Ebay frauds you'll learn a lot you obviously are unaware of.

The previous cut and paste posts degrading buyers had nothing to do with the sellers consortium that has over 5000 members and NEVER goes public outside of internal correspondence.

You're right on one count, Ebay is begging for competition. They lost 10s of 1000s of auctions with the no guns, no ammo, no cases/bullets, no gun part that helps the gun function, no WW II German stuff (although Jap., VietCong, Cuban. FARC, Iraq/Iran stuff is all fine.)

This is one of the few times I would love to be filthy rich (Bill Gates level). Think of the fun of starting a "new Ebay" headquartered in Mississippi, buying tons of ad time on FNC and FBC and allowing anyone to sell anything with 1/2 the listing and commission fees of Ebay. Probably get your picture on the cover of Business Week, Forbes and Time.
Heck you could even move to CA and run for "governornator"!

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtdorarider

It would appear you are not an active Ebay seller or you would know this.

if you google Ebay frauds you'll learn a lot you obviously are unaware of.

The previous cut and paste posts degrading buyers had nothing to do with the sellers consortium that has over 5000 members and NEVER goes public outside of internal correspondence.

No, I am not an active seller but I have several close friends who are and they sell a few items occasionally for me. I have disscused this issue exttensivly with them - they run into a smaller percentage of bad buyers than bad sellers (only one also actively buys).

I took your advice and did GOOGLE ebay fraud - here are the hits I looked at, most had very little info, the bottom one for '2008' is the one that actually led to some information - you can follow the links your self and will end up at the screen pictured at the bottom - is this what I was supposed to find? or was I supposed to GOOLGE looking specifically for just buyer fraud? You can follow the links yourself.
[Linked Image]

I have now heard from my friends that eBay, because of wide spread abuse of inflated shipping, is changing their policy on that and will start charging a fee on shipping, it's not buyers who have asked if they could pay $5.00+ for something that actually cost a dollar or two to ship. I have been charges as high as $12.00+ for a small catalog that had less that $2.00 postage on it - I do not have a problem with this as I figure it into my bid..until I get a misrepresented item and the seller says to return it for refund minus the shipping, that's another story.

As for your reference to another list of blocked bidders, what I really want to know is why with 7+ years on eBay and gunBroker, and 100% postive feedback I am on one of your lists? If these lists have any true merit than I think someone should be able to give me an intellegent explination of the reason why? - so far I have not been offered even a good theory to a legitimate reason. I can PM you my user name on both so you can look at my feedback and then show me where I did something wrong.

Gene
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
He currently goes by the name of shooter4570, but he's had 3 or 4 different names.

PS: Oh yeah, he started a PM thread with me about my commenting on the lunacy of buying from somebody with a 6 month delay on shipment.. and he was REALLY pushing for my gunbroker name. Now I think I know why.

Why would anybody offer something for sale with a 6-month delay on shipping? Did you ever get a logical response from him?

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
GeneB, On page one you state a sale on Gunbroker and a seller that is a chump. I say chump because a year ago I had a rude run in with the same fellow. For some time a lot of folks here have been treating this auction like a leg trapped otter and wanting to poke a stick at it. Did you poke a stick at it?
I see where your coming from but is this something that started with, It's always fun untill someone gets hurt?

Last edited by lowprofile; 03/16/11.
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I found myself blocked on eBay before all that and I just watched - I have the same user name on all auction sites so the blocking on GB may have came from an eBay, I don't know - no one will give any reasons.

I haven't been buying near as much as I used to on line, I have been getting bit much more often than in the past, not big problems but still enough to start turning you off.

I really look through a sellers feedback now and often that doesn't help as I do not trust the accuracy of any of it anymore. I know I have left positives for sellers that should definatly gotten negatives just to avoid problems. From comments I read while doing research on blockiing lists it seem some sellers sometimes will block any buyer that ever left a negative (or even a neutral) - if you give out any negative as a buyer it seems your just asking for problems.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From the sounds of things Gene your name might have been added because it starts with a G. May be it was because you simply questioned shipping methods or because you are competition to other collectors. I would suggest multiple user names with plenty of shill feedback. Seriously, not what an honorable man does but we are commonly not dealing with honorable people who do their homework, ship items properly packaged and timely, or care what the buyer/seller thinks.

It only takes a few jack-offs to ruin those who expect (and assume) all are on the up-and-up. My limited experience buying and selling online has lead me to believe FTF rules don't apply. Communication and shipping practices vary widely. The more I experience and hear of experiences I hesitate to make on-line buys. Even when I do my homework I'm still apprehensive until the deal is done.

When selling I check frequently and worry that everything arrived in good condition and that the buyer is satisfied. Lately, buyers have not communicated or left feedback either way.

When buying I communicate or leave feedback the day I receive the item.

My experience is limited to around 100 deals on E-Bay (since 2000), a couple on Gun Broker and a few in the classifieds. Friends and family share many stories of woe from their dealings.

I bend over backwards to properly pack and timely ship the few items I have sold online. Always charge actual shipping and only add handling if a box or packing materials cost me.

After the last round of items I sold on E-Bay the fees, communication, payment and shipping makes me wonder if it was worth the trouble. We used to have 1 Yard Sale and 1 trip to the Flea Market per year. May now be more lucrative to return to this method of ridding ourselves of usable items.

Figure out the game for yourself and play it to the best of your ability. I suspect with your intellect you will win a high percentage of the time.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Here's one for you. I have an item for sale on Ebay, the item has bids to $105 for a few days. Last night I get several bids from the same buyer up to $123.50, just past the last high bidder, then after several hours a bid retraction. Now the item is back at $105 and the high bidder is exposed. WTF? I'd expect that underhanded stuff from sellers on GB with 8000 count.

Last edited by lowprofile; 03/16/11.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lowprofile
I'd expect that underhanded stuff from sellers on GB with 8000 count.

What the hell does that mean and what brought you to this thread??

I've bit my tongue and stayed out of this so far. By and large, this internet stuff works pretty well. I've been in it since the very early days. I'm pretty well fed up with the whole ebay thing as of late. With the forced paypal payments now they get about 13% of your sale. And! don't sell anything that smacks of 'gun stuff'

I've not yet been victimized by the blocking problem but I am not surprised that some people have been hurt by it. Change your ID and get back in the game - it's the internet way...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Originally Posted by Calhoun
He currently goes by the name of shooter4570, but he's had 3 or 4 different names.

PS: Oh yeah, he started a PM thread with me about my commenting on the lunacy of buying from somebody with a 6 month delay on shipment.. and he was REALLY pushing for my gunbroker name. Now I think I know why.

Why would anybody offer something for sale with a 6-month delay on shipping? Did you ever get a logical response from him?

The conversation got really bizarre, with him saying that I was implying that he was breaking federal laws and that I should attack every website on the internet that offers layaway. Apparently he views himself as a Sears & Roebuck and he's just offering a "layaway" program. Course, by the time he returns home and looks at the gun he sold it's been 8 or 9 months since he's last seen it, and I can't believe anybody would buy under those conditions.

And I agree with Mike.. close that blocked account and open up a new one. Have to start with zero feedback, but that's not a big deal if you're buying and not selling.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 13,600 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,120
Posts18,542,230
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.