Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fluffy - Too clarify, the 10/22 look-a-like is the original .44 mag. carbine.

Note Ruger45/70's post, if the type you want, he may have one for sale that works just fine.

Got two of the bolt Ruger .44s in stainless, one walnut, the other synthetic black, recent build, and one of the original bolt .44, walnut/blue, a good bit trail worn. These are all rotary fed from clip

The lever version works just fine for function, but grip angle with lever bit the heck out of my hand as was awkward for me.

Had two of the singles, still kicking myself for being talked out of the last one I had.

I was not bashing Ruger .44's, nor do I have any for sale.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lead bullets + .44 Mag = enough gun for armadillos.

They sorta explode in a chunky kinda way. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...some hunters can't shoot the baboons because baboons are so much like people...... some hunters couldn't shoot enough, because baboons are so much like people!

I've never had a signature line - but that is really tempting.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My Dad carries a 1960's version deer hunting. I used it for a couple of seasons but never had any luck with it. It shoots as good as my Marlins about 2"-3" at 100 yards but it won't cycle the Leverevolution ammo. We have shot some lead bullets out of it without ill effect before we knew better. I imagine it would take a pile of them to clog up the gas port. It has never jammed as far as I can remember. They are fun little units. Everybody should have one. Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An accuracy tip.

do something with that silly slick curved buttplate, get one of the checkered steel replacements, or glue some rubber on to it, so the thing doesn't squirt off your shoulder when you shoot. It will make it much easier to shoot well.

early Mini-14's have the same issue, but not as pronounced.

I did the glued rubber treatment on a .44 mag for a friend, as well as glass bedded it, and it was certainly a fine little carbine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Make damn good boat anchor material!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not near heavy enough for a boat anchor even though it has a great place to tie the rope.

I've had the older Ruger auto carbine, the Marlin 336 in 44 mag and the Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. I liked them all. They all shot good and were very reliable. Of the bunch the Marlin 336 was the most accurate and the one I kept.

If I was in the market for a 44mag carbine, the only thing that would make me pass on any of them other than price is the safety on the new Marlin 1894's. Can't stand it. It would have to be a pre safety Marlin.

Harry
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have numerous 44 carbines. Never could like the curved butt plate. My favorites are either the sporter or mannlicher. Both have a flat butt. My favorite of all my 44 carbines is a custom 96/44 lever action. Short throw on the lever makes it nearly as quick as the semiauto clip fed and no gas system to worry about of course I had to do something about the stock. The picture shows my original mannlicher carbine and the 96. [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by antlers
I bought a brand spankin' new one from Fred Baker Firearms in Oklahoma City when I turned 18...that was in '79. It was a cool gun. Well made, solid, functioned well, fun. Sadly, it was stolen from me in Tyler, Texas back in 1990. Wish I had it still.

Frickin' Texans! wink

Back in those days, Tyler was full of crime. Middle to late 80's and early 90's there was a huge crack cocaine problem there. Car theft was awful, drug crime was rampant, break-ins, assaults, murder...the place was flat-out BAD. The 'powers that be' put forth much effort though to cover it up and paint Tyler as the 'Rose Capitol of the World'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fluffy
I have a chance to pick up a ruger 44 carbine,pretty reasonable.
Worth having,or no?

I had one of the newer, rotary-mag ones. Frankly it never moved me, other than as a means to shoot 44 mag from a carbine, which is very cool. It was a 3 MOA rifle @ 100 yds, and it jammed enough to be troublesome.

I traded it towards a stainless Marlin 44 mag carbine, which I found to be a more accurate, reliable, and infinitly classier, rifle.

Just IMHO. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
ruger 44 mag carbine, i have one i bought new in 1976, put a leupy 2X5 on it. and used it as a truck gun for years,i have killed a lot of critters with it.great pig gun, trick to the gun is clean it about every fifty rounds and it will run all day, great little gun in the heavy brush. rio7

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought and sold three of the older style Ruger carbines last year and one of the model 77/44's.Started to keep one of the semi autos but found out Ruger will no longer work on them and there are no spare parts to be had.They are not bench rifles in accuracy but they do function good.The newer "Deerfield" models are,as I understand,beefed up Mini 14 type actions.I have killed several deer with them.I would not buy another one.I have never found a .44 rifle which was consistently accurate enough for my tastes.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stan, I'm shooting a 77/44 that runs slightly over MOA consistently with paper patch lead and a bit under with jacketed loads.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.