Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Hey Sonora, it's one thing to stiff me but steal my shed!?! Iv'e offered to beat good friends for making off with my sheds!!!! LMAO! But.... I just gave a client the first brown four point of the year because he saw the other side fall off the buck and he accidentally ALMOST shot me!!!! WTF was I thinking!!!!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only been one place on a guided hunt and I'm going back for my 4th trip there. It is by no means a high priced hunt, and I make very little money at my job, but I always tip. I tip the outfitter/Master Guide, the assistant guide, and the cook.

The hunt only cost $1200, but the last 2 trips I've tipped $200 between the 3 of them. They always work hard in caring for the game killed, are friendly, and the food is A+. Before my 1st trip there I asked about tips, and the outfitter gave me a standard amount given. I try to tip at least that much, and have managed to give more due to their efforts and respect given to me and my friends.

I do know that treating a guide/outfitter well does help with rebookings and smoothing over any situations that may arise.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 03/27/11.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by vvjack1
If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

i bet you don't book many hunts...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by vvjack1
If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

It depends, I suppose, on what you call "many."

There is a trend to making great promises and chargeing big bucks for hunts and then not delivering. As I've said before, tipping has gotten way out of hand with every cook and bottle washer with his hand out and everyone wanting to outdo another so as to appear generous. All the while, this generates a fair amount of anxiety on the part of the hunter who has no real idea of what to tip. Guides and agents use this anxiety to their advantage hoping to win the lottery.

All I'm saying is that if an operator or guide doesn't deliver what you paid for or wastes your time then don't tip. With what is charged for hunts, there is no reason that the hunt purveyor can't pay the supporting staff adequately and if they don't, then shame on the staff for working for them. Then again, if you wish to pay for a service that isn't delivered, then that's your priviledge.

My attitude has been tempered by a number of experiences:

1. A bear hunt in which my vehicle was used to haul various groups of hunters around. Said hunters were other clients who I had never met before. I didn't get a bear and got the distinct impression that there were few bear around since only one small one was netted in a week of hunting by about 10 hunters, i.e., the hunt was not as advertised.

2. A fishing charter in which, on arrival at the boat, but after paying, there were a bunch of excuses about how the fish were a bit sick and we probably wouldn't get much. We didn't get much, but I gave a tip sucker that I was.

3. Another fishing charter where we took turn manning the rods. During our half day out, I never got to touch a rod but the mate fished for a time. I had a guest and I paid his tip but didn't pay mine. I guess that was when I decided that hunting/fishing purveyors needed to be held to a bit higher standard than is being done. I've always done my job to the best of my ability and have never been tipped so why should others do a half assed job and get tipped?

Be a sucker if you like.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Originally Posted by toad

It depends, I suppose, on what you call "many."

My attitude has been tempered by a number of experiences:

.....A bear hunt.....

just like i thought...i call 'many' a bunch more than one...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
http://www.huntinfo.com/ There r more sites like these 4 you hunters to get good or bad outfitters . Good outfitters have good guides and bad outfitters cheep out on there guides .

Tip the guide if he does a good job give him more $$$. If he does a [bleep] job give him YOUR belly lint or your pocket knife. HE WILL GET THE HINT HE DID GOOD OR BAD.

C
C
10%

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Personally I think tipping is a scam in many industries. Why should I feel obligated to tip anyone who does an average or expected job of delivering the services that I'm already paying for? Why do some service providers have an expectation of tips while others do not? My tailor does a great job but he never expects a tip and he doesn't own the business. The guy who parks your car always expects a tip; what does he do that warrants a tip? It's just years of conditioning the consumer that makes us tip some and not others.

I always tip my guide(s) but it is often because I know it is expected and not necessarily because I've received any exceptional services. I even tip when the service is poor. Guide or waitress - they both get tipped regardless of service.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by FLNative
Originally Posted by rost495
I can say, as I've heard many guides say before.. I'd rather see excitement in a guys face and little or no tip, knowing he is a blue collar hard worker type like I am and just being delighted to make his day, than to shoot the biggest buck out there with a client that dumps me 500 bucks cash(never happened to me anyway) and bitches about wanting a bigger one or in a hurry to catch his next flight.

I'm an inshore saltwater guide. I can agree with this sentiment, because it's how I feel. Fishing vs hunting; not precisely apples to apples, certainly not in the aspect of price for service, but it's still guiding and the knowledge of the fish, water, and area for given conditions is no different than the knowledge of the game, terrain, and area for given conditions. I charge what I consider a fair price that covers my expenses and compensates me for the knowledge and effort I put in to staying on top of the fish, etc, etc, etc. If the blue collar guy with the grin on his face doesn't tip me for a huge snook he caught, that's fine. Maybe he's already paid as much as he can afford, just to go. He's still grinning from ear to ear and can't believe how "worth it" it was to pony up my fee and go. That is gratifying and satisfying. I also know he's going to go tell all his buddies how great it was and I'll end up with more business down the road from him and them. Works for me. Two of my regular customers vacation in the area every year. They book me for 3-4 trips every time they are down for a week or more. Neither of them tips, and why should they? They are paying me more than enough in 3-4 trips and obviously, they appreciate my ability and effort. If they let me know me far enough in advance, I will clear my calendar for the period they are here, just to accommodate resets for bad weather, etc. Happy to do it.

By the same token, I once took a guy back to the dock and told him he owed me nothing, just to get him off my boat. I expect he was one of the wealthier people I've ever had aboard, but he was a World Clazz Jackazz. Nobody pays me enough to treat me like a servant and call me "boy" on my own boat. There are people in the world who simply are not worth the hassle. I know guides who will tell certain repeat clients they are booked and refer them elsewhere, too.

Tipping is not mandatory and should not be considered so, but it is a courtesy and consideration that ought to be extended whenever one can do so. I do it when the shoe is on the other foot and I always will, and I try to be generous with it. I can tell when a guide is working his tail off to get me a fish and when a guy is just going through the motions to collect his fee and go home. For a one time trip, if I put you on the biggest snook or tarpon or redfish that you ever caught in your life, and you can afford to tip me, are you really going to withhold that gesture because you think you're already paying me "enough"? C'mon. If the conditons on our trip are forecast to be adverse, I will tell you so ahead of time and give you the opportunity to reschedule. I get that you may not be able to, and we'll go anyway if you want to. If we do, and I work my butt off fighting the weather to get you a decent catch, then yeah, a tip goes a long way toward making me feel you appreciated that effort. I'm happy with making my fee, but I'm also very happy to get a nice tip from the guy that can afford it and recognizes my time, knowledge, and effort. The largest tip I ever received was on just such a day. The client told me straight up when we got back to the ramp that he fully expected me to hide from the weather and just hit a few soft spots to get us through the day, but he wanted to go anyway just to get out. He said he fished with guides all over the world and that's what most of them would have done that day. When I didn't do that, he was surprised and impressed and he compensated me in kind.

This idea that "expected" tipping is out of control makes me laugh, but I get that some of you are talking about a whole different realm of fees and tipping and I don't work for an outfitter, I work for myself. I can't afford many guided trips, nearly none in fact, but those I do get to go on, if the guide does a good job, I'm not going to penalize him/her for the outfitter being heavy on the fee and light on the payroll. Of course, I also will never book a trip with an outfitter who has built in the tipping to the fee.

As for the OP's question: 5-10% for effort appreciated, plus whatever you think the guide deserves if you had a fantastic experience. cool

Best -
Andy

I'd fish with you any day...Never booked a hunting trip, but plenty of fishing trips, only burned twice (if I don't count the Cabo pangha trip...was warned :()

I tip what I can afford and say so...never been a problem and never been asked to get off a boat...

Charlie

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1badf350, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 51 invisible), 16,972 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,900
Posts18,538,734
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.