-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK you last two guys...what KIND of Mono for leaders?

Ive only tried it twice...80 Lb. " Hard" mono made for tarpon leaders. The second one set the longevity record for lasting six seconds....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maxima Chameleon 20# doubled is my standard...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanx...will give that a try...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can get away with 50 flouro mono for leaders 90% of the time when pike/ musky fishing. Still have the occasional bite off. The mono hook-up ratio vs steel leader is much higher on pressured water and can sometimes make a big difference.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by kenaiking

I think I would take the mountain house over grayling smile

+1 on that, but as KK said, pike are EXCELLENT...

I think pike is just as good as walleye if caught in cold water

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My preference is to fly fish for both. You can do double duty with a 6wt on a hunting trip. A little much for grayling but a hell of a lot of fun for pike. We have always caught a tons of pencils before we catch the big guys so it keep its fun. Bring a reel with a good drag, bass/pike/ or salmon taper floating line and some Rio toothy critters leaders and you will be good to go. Swap out the swivel on the toothy critters for a little heaver one as they do break after 20 or so fish.

As for flys grayling are easy (drys) royal wolff, adams, mosquitoes, etc. Size 18-12. (Nymph) p-tail's, prince's, GRHE, etc. Size 12-8.

For pike any good bunny pattern works great. Throw in a little flash, a few articulating and a couple weedless. I also always bring some mice and frogs for top water stuff. Bass poppers work killer as well.

All the hunts and fly out fishing I have done weight was a concern. I could never see bringing a bunch of terminal tackle when I prefer to fly fish.

Pike make a killer shore lunch too!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I�m wid ya on da flyfishing for dem pike! And the shore lunch.

Learnt my lesson many years ago on a backcountry canoe trip in Ontario, when my casting rod broke and all I had left was a fly rod.
The pike were running small anyways, but what fun!

Old Norwegian joke.

Can I flyfish when we get back into that lake?

Ya sonny, you can fly vat ever you vant back into dat lake.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
don't forget jaw spreaders [Linked Image]

A few favorite pike lures. Catching on top the most fun
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This lure won a fishing contest with brother and his buddy. Landed 62 pike in one afternoon on it
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used this one a lot for sub-surface. Ended up getting the pattern from a fly swap a while ago. Turned out to be one of my favorites.

Articulated rainbow:
[Linked Image]

They seem to eat everything when you get remote though. After snacking on some peanuts and throwing the shells off the side of the boat we kept hearing splashes. Thus the nut popper was born smile
[Linked Image]

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

I use some hard-finish 30-pound mono, can't even remember the brand. Made up a bunch of leaders a while back and still have some. Can't absolutely say I've never had one come apart, but can't remember when it did. I

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by ingwe

I think I would take the mountain house over grayling smile

+1 on that, but as KK said, pike are EXCELLENT...

I think pike is just as good as walleye if caught in cold water

Another vote for that.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

I use some hard-finish 30-pound mono, can't even remember the brand. Made up a bunch of leaders a while back and still have some. Can't absolutely say I've never had one come apart, but can't remember when it did. I

Thanks JB..we may have to discuss this further over adult beverages... whistle

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds like a plan!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mason makes a hard mono. Also good. A bit more difficult when making knots because of its hardness

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mason is very hard to find most of the time... Maxima is everywhere...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Halibut circle hook welded to a license plate has crossed my mind for lunkers.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found them a little difficult to cast on a fly rod...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Practice, you swatter, you.
smile

Last edited by ironbender; 03/20/11.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dean, if your fishing with a spinning outfit bring along some small Mepps spinners and I mean SMALL as grayling have small mouths.

On my last float hunt, I brought along a small packable fly rod with some tiny little brown and gray flies (cannot remember what they were called) and I didn't have much trouble catching them. From what i've seen and experienced, once a grayling hits your fly, the rest will follow suit. As for eating, grayling are delicious if you use enough seasoning and you'll want to eat them right away, don't save them for later because they will get soft and mushy. I've cooked them in beer before and they were very good, butter is better though. Bring along a shaker of mixed seasonings like, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, cayene (if you like spicey), oregano, parsley, and whatever other spices you prefer.

As for pike, I;ve found that when they are hungry, they will bite just about anything. I use to fish Minto Flats every summer when I lived in NP and catching pike was never a problem, it was catching the BIG pike that was a bit diffcult. And pike are excellent eating except for those pesky Y-bones.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Y-bones are not a problem if you know how to remove them. I find taking them and the reasonably-sized ribs out of northerns much less of a pain than taking the steel-girder sized ribs out of walleye. (And then you have the epiplurals to deal with in walleyes as well.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
There is a video on YOUTUBE demonstrating how to remove the Y-bones from Northern Pike.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.