-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well, after taking many months putting this rig together, I finally shot my TRG. It has a Near Mfg. Alpha scope mount, a factory Sako brake and a Zeiss Victory Diavari FL 4-16x50. I had to send a few things down the road (guns that were not used much, if at all) to pay for this thing, and didn't know what I would end up. I can honestly say that I will never miss what I sold.

I sighted in the glass with factory 180 grain Win ballistic silver tips. Even though those rounds had to jump a mile to get to the barrel, they grouped about 1/2" at 100 yards.

Now for my reloads. I tried H4831sc behind 180 grain NAB's and a Fed GM215M primer. Loads were 73, 74, 75, 75.5 and 76 grains. Bullets were ~ .015 off the lands. Brass is virgin RWS.

I could not really tell if one charge was better than another at 100 yards. Holes were touching for each load! I THINK 74 grains gave the cleanest single hole, but like I said it was hard to tell at this point.

Shooting this rifle at 100 yards just isn't going to tell me a whole lot. This is the first rifle that I have ever owned that gave me this kind of performance.

For an out of the box gun, this thing kicks ass! grin

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They do kick ass, for sure. RL22 is your huckleberry in the .300 Win Mag.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I go to 200 grain bullets, I plan on trying R22. H4831 is one of Hodgdons "Extreme" powders, and have had good luck with them being very consistent from lot to lot.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you want to make that TRG sing, try some of the 208 A-max's. Great bullet, no matter what you point the rilfe at. This is where the RL22 starts to shine. Make sure your bolts are all torqued the same, and whose bipod are you running? It sounds like a very nice set you have. Congrats!

R.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Rman. I will have to try the A-max. I need a torque wrench. No bipod, yet. Out of funds for now!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I, of course, took mine all apart, and put it back together again, and didn't uniformly torque the bolts. I had some problems stemming from that. I have the Sako bipod, and like it for the low centre of gravity, but the harris works as well.

R.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can you elaborate on what kind of problems you encountered? I think I will get a harris BR bipod with a swivel. I need a European rail adapter too.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I first took the rifle apart, the bolts that held the action to the chasis were super tight. When I put the rilfe back together, I did not tighten them enough, nor evenly. I did not use my torque wrench. I had some accuracy problems as far as wondering shots and stringing. I took the rifle apart, and torqued all bolts to 65 inch pounds. Problem solved! I have shot with harris and it works very well, but I do prefer the factory bipod. Although, I do not prefer the factory bipod price!

R.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear your rig is shooting so good for you.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RMAN/SAKO- I chronod a bunch of loads out of my 7mm mag krieger/700. i got higher velocity, pressure and sd,es with the 215gm; as compared to the 250, LWRM, and 9.5m . you may want to try different primers. have not chronod the 300 mag . i did get some real good groups with 72.5 of re-22 and 210 brgr with my factory sendero.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xphunter

Thanks Ernie. I appreciate all your advice too.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine was a 7mm mag. Loved that rifle, but needed a stainless rifle. It shot everything well. There isn't a smoother factory action on the market. Sako does make them right. My only gripe was the wimpy recoil lug...or lack of.

I sure hope Baretta doesn't screw up the TRG's like they have so many other things. Sako is one of the last great products made by serious craftsmen. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Flinch, did you have a TRG -S? I heard of issues with them.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like a TRG-S with the recoil lug issue...

R.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You are welcome!

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by xphunter

Thanks Ernie. I appreciate all your advice too.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, the "cheaper" TRG-S. Still a fabulous rifle though. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never tried 200's, but RL-22 is the best in my experience with the 180 Ballistic Tips's in .300 Win Mag. I tried several combos and ended up there. For tougher targets, one can sub Accubonds. They are a tougher jacketed twin to the BT's and have the same B.C. (.502). And, at least in my Win Mag, the same POI. The BT's slightly edged the AB's in accuracy, but the difference was slight.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Well, after taking many months putting this rig together, I finally shot my TRG. It has a Near Mfg. Alpha scope mount, a factory Sako brake and a Zeiss Victory Diavari FL 4-16x50. I had to send a few things down the road (guns that were not used much, if at all) to pay for this thing, and didn't know what I would end up. I can honestly say that I will never miss what I sold.

I sighted in the glass with factory 180 grain Win ballistic silver tips. Even though those rounds had to jump a mile to get to the barrel, they grouped about 1/2" at 100 yards.

Now for my reloads. I tried H4831sc behind 180 grain NAB's and a Fed GM215M primer. Loads were 73, 74, 75, 75.5 and 76 grains. Bullets were ~ .015 off the lands. Brass is virgin RWS.

I could not really tell if one charge was better than another at 100 yards. Holes were touching for each load! I THINK 74 grains gave the cleanest single hole, but like I said it was hard to tell at this point.

Shooting this rifle at 100 yards just isn't going to tell me a whole lot. This is the first rifle that I have ever owned that gave me this kind of performance.

For an out of the box gun, this thing kicks ass! grin

Glad to hear you finally got it up and shooting! It was worth the trouble wasn't it? smile

Good info on the bolt Torquing. I'm going to recheck mine just to be sure..................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hunter5325

Thanks for the correction on the B.C. of 507. I was remembering off the top of my head and should have looked it up.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.