Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One can't discount team savage, but one also has to wonder how many guns they had to pick from... Much like Ruger thinking their actions were good enough for Palma and building palma guns for the US team and finding that 2 of the 12 IIRC< were good enough in the end.

The bottom line to this, is if it shoots good enough, then the platform is good enough and personally I could care less what folks use. OTOH the 700s and the better clones and the better BR actions are PROVEN to be able to do the job... on the front side its probably cheaper in the long run to build off a proven action.. much like a douglas barrel MIGHT be good enough, but we know a Krieger will be....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
Would it be dumb to do a custom LR build with a stevens 200 action???? Thinking 300 WM or .308.... Alot of the savage model 110 parts will work right?

Sounds like it depends on who you listen to smile
You could have a very good gun using a stevens action. THere are A LOT of folks who have used them and continue to use them.
Or you can spend more $$ and still have a very nice custom LR rifle - and it will look nicer too.

maybe it comes down to: it depends on what your priorities are.

Last edited by MarkD; 02/02/11.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It is my opinion that they are a cheap rifle with a design that is based on bringing a rilfe to market with the lowest possible price. They are built the way they are for that reason, and that reson only, nothing else.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but exactly the same thing can be said about the Remington 700 and everything else Remington has designed/produced in the past 70 years or so.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
beauty never trumps accuracy IMHO. That being said you often need to specify your own accuracy goals first, and at what distances and then folks can say, get after it OR you'll mostly only get there with 4000 bucks etc.....

Had I to bet, I'd bet that a 200 and a new barrel won't shoot in the zeros at 100, but done correctly the right action and barrel will.

Where your need falls makes a big difference. Too many ifs ands or buts

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
beauty never trumps accuracy IMHO. That being said you often need to specify your own accuracy goals first, and at what distances and then folks can say, get after it OR you'll mostly only get there with 4000 bucks etc.....

Had I to bet, I'd bet that a 200 and a new barrel won't shoot in the zeros at 100, but done correctly the right action and barrel will.

Square the rear of the lugs with the bolt face, square the lug abutments in the receiver and the front of the receiver and given equal qualty barrels I see no reason whatever why the Savage action wouldn't shoot right with a 700.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by rost495

Square the rear of the lugs with the bolt face, square the lug abutments in the receiver and the front of the receiver and given equal qualty barrels I see no reason whatever why the Savage action wouldn't shoot right with a 700.

I wouldn't bet on the 700 to shoot in the zeros or ones either actually unless hundreds were spent truing it... hence the other posters point of starting with what you need. Again its all dependant on needs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savages have "floating lugs" that allow the round to enter the chamber stress free. Some call it cost cutting. I call it ingenious.

Squaring the front of the action might work, though. Most of my Savages shoot so darn well, I never get around to mucking with the action too much.

Like a Glock, but more better!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
as for accuracy of rifles using a savage action.

the year end aggregate award for best group and score averages over 10 matches is awarded each year at the original 1000 yd. benchrest club at williamsport pa. that award has gone to shooters using rifles built on left hand 110 savage actions 3 times. twice by the same shooter, lowell amand of lititz pa.
and by j. bradley also from lititz pa.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Holy cow!!!!!!!! Didnt mean to start the whole "Chevy vs Ford" debate..... Which Chevy is definitely the winner grin wink I could care less how a rifle looks as long as is feels and shoots right.
I am just weighing different options. Thanks for the replys guys..

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
well, if you're a Chevy guy...
You probably should go with a custom BR action since it is obvious you want the BEST smile

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
Holy cow!!!!!!!! Didnt mean to start the whole "Chevy vs Ford" debate..... Which Chevy is definitely the winner grin wink I could care less how a rifle looks as long as is feels and shoots right.
I am just weighing different options. Thanks for the replys guys..

It's kinda more like Chevy vs Yugo, or Ford vs Lada, but I think you got the gist of it.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by yobuck
as for accuracy of rifles using a savage action.

the year end aggregate award for best group and score averages over 10 matches is awarded each year at the original 1000 yd. benchrest club at williamsport pa. that award has gone to shooters using rifles built on left hand 110 savage actions 3 times. twice by the same shooter, lowell amand of lititz pa.
and by j. bradley also from lititz pa.

Thats interesting, I was not aware of that trend since I dropped PS when I quit shooting.

Personally, I have no qualms about fugly, its how it shoots in the end. If this is the case in 1000 yard BR, then I expect the savage actioned guns will start showing on the short range BR winners list really quickly then too. That will be interesting to see.

Me... I've never seen a savage not shoot decent from the factory and often sub moa....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Savages have "floating lugs" that allow the round to enter the chamber stress free. Some call it cost cutting. I call it ingenious.

+1

And have to add, how can people say a Remington action is so much better, when they are both so similar to each other? Both are built off a piece of tube. The only thing holding Savage back is the nut is ugly, but that is just an opinion.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
the barrel nut serves a purpose and serves it well. it can be eliminated and often is when adding a custom barrel.
long range benchrest shooting has become so competetive that few factory actions of any make are currently used.
point is however that opinions for whatever reason are fine.
but facts are facts and based on those alone its best not bet against a savage for accuracy.
personaly i have both remington and savage rifles as well as weatherby and a few customs.
im equally fond of all of them.
i will admitt to a soft spot for savage for 1 reason.
back about 1960 i wanted a left bolt rifle so bad i would have stolen it.
savage offered me one, and none of the rest thought us leftys worthy enough. some still dont.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I guess we can put this one to rest I am going to build my first custom on a Savage model 110 action......

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah!!!!

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at the Montana 1000 yard bench rest site. How many savage actions do you see in the results standings?? Tons of rem 700 or rem 700 clones. These guys are hard core and know good equipment. A couple guys that live local here are mulitple world record holders. Their not shooting savages. Do your self a big favor and start with a quality action and make it a awesome project.If it's rifle you decide not to keep it will be a pain trying to get rid of a custom built on a savage 110 action because most people don't want one.Just trying to save you some grief.

1 and done
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Good job wyohunter99. You made a great choice.

It takes a lot to wade through all the crap that gets spewed here. Most of the guys that have posted here with their opinions don't know much more about long range hunting than what they have read on the internet.

Ignorance is bliss. I'm glad they're happy with their overpriced, precision machined, zero-shooting, bench rest winning, pretty rifles.

I shoot several Savage actions. I don't care that they are not a copy of a Remington. I don't care if you think it's ugly. I don't care if you think it's junk. It probably won't ever win a bench rest competition either.

It does what I want it to and it does it very well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highridge1
Take a look at the Montana 1000 yard bench rest site. How many savage actions do you see in the results standings?? Tons of rem 700 or rem 700 clones. These guys are hard core and know good equipment. A couple guys that live local here are mulitple world record holders. Their not shooting savages. Do your self a big favor and start with a quality action and make it a awesome project.If it's rifle you decide not to keep it will be a pain trying to get rid of a custom built on a savage 110 action because most people don't want one.Just trying to save you some grief.

Montana? Bench rest capital of the known universe?

John Stark.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My reservations with Savage have always been the cheap finish work on the metal, and their stocks. Those two things are easily remedied though. The accuracy potential was never a question.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.