Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Anybody familiar with these little .22's ??
Specifically the "takedown" part? I just started getting my Grandfather's guns that were handed down to me when he passed. The first 2 to arrive is a model 24 and a Marlin Glenfield Model 60. The 24 is supposed to come apart in the middle and I think I see how it comes apart but I can't get it apart. Maybe it's seized. It's probably been in 1 piece for 30+ years. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JB

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Clear the chamber. Push the button forward on the underside of the rear end of the forend.
While holding the bolt to the rear, rotate the barrel assembly 90 degrees (I forget which direction). Once in two halves hold just the receiver/stock assembly. Remove the mag tube. Pinch the bolt handle towards the trigger guard and then slide all of that forward in the receiver. The bolt and trigger group are a complete assembly and come out for cleaning.

2 many 22's and 2 little time
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I think, by your explanation, I am not pulling the bolt back at the same time and that may be my problem?? Wow...thanks a ton. I'll try it when I get home and report back. I was able to move it slightly but it stopped like it was hitting something. I am sure this thing will need a major cleaning as it hasn't been touched in many years. Thanks again.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ralfus...
Just wanted to say thanks for the guidance. I got it stripped down and cleaned up real good. I just need to come with a solution for the little wiggle where the stock meets the reciever.
JB

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by jackelope
Ralfus...
I just need to come with a solution for the little wiggle where the stock meets the reciever.
JB

If the buttstock is loose it has shrunk over time. The nut under the buttplate should tighten down the stock against the receiver some more. You could also apply some epoxy and "bed" the stock against the receiver if tightening doesn't do it. I think the barrel assembly has a slop adjustment built in if the barrel is loose.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got a Model 24 also, and I've tried many times to tighten it up. I finally gave up on that. I realized that the sights are on the barrel anyhow, so it's likely that it wouldn't matter much, unless it's so loose it won't function properly. So far, that's worked out okay.

Mine shoots pretty good for a 90 year old. I wish my eyes would let me shoot it better.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I've got the nut tightened as tight as I can get it. I think the wiggle comes from play in the stock where it meets with the alignment pin at the reciever. That hole in the stock has enlarged itself slightly. Something to take up that slight bit of slack would do it. Maybe some bedding compound. I'm sure it wouldn't affect the accuracy or functionality but it is annoying. I'm gonna screw with it some more in the next few days. I gave up and went to bed last night.
Thanks again.

Last edited by jackelope; 03/22/11.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You can spray the receiver parts with Pam or other release agent and apply a little epoxy to the pin recess and the end of the stock where it meets the receiver and assemble. Wipe off ANY excess. Be sure to coat ALL metal with release agent. A loose stock will eventually become a broken stock.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,656
Posts18,474,665
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.