-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I contemplated getting an XP in 350 Remington Magnum once. Then I thought, "you know, I don't really think I want to own something that I'd be afraid to shoot."

A 358 JDJ is about all I can handle in a handgun without getting uncomfortable.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back when Handgun Silhouette first became popular, a range owner in West Texas eagerly set up a range, and hosted a IHMSA regional meet. The eventual winner showed up with an XP-100 in full length 7mm-08, shot a perfect score, and drilled holes in every single one of the brand new targets the range owner had so proudly bought for the match grin He had to upgrade steel for later events, to his great distress. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks everyone for all the great information and you have helped me to go pick the 7br up soon. I had also thought about re-chambering the barrel to 7-08, but had talked to Steve Roe, who I guess is very well known for his work with XP's and what I will be using it for. he said that the 7br would be all I need.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
XP-100's are fun to shoot. Wish I still had mine! Depends on the price though. Lately some people seem to think they are made of gold.

If I had the guns you've sold, I'd be set up pretty well.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prelude8626
Thanks everyone for all the great information and you have helped me to go pick the 7br up soon. I had also thought about re-chambering the barrel to 7-08, but had talked to Steve Roe, who I guess is very well known for his work with XP's and what I will be using it for. he said that the 7br would be all I need.

It's hard to get a good clean rechamber on a 7 BR, either going to the 7mm IHMSA or 7mm-08. It doesn't quite clean up the chamber 100%, and can leave a ring on the case. A 284 Winchester will clean up the chamber though.

FWIW, the 7 BR will cover just about any kind of hunting or shooting you want to do. It will take deer out to 300 yards. It doesn't kick much at all. It is also one of the very few handguns that you can get away with shooting in the field with no ear protection.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Leave it 7BR. Damned rare, hold value VERY well, shoot great, and performance-wise, from that length tube, you're getting about all you can get with the BR.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Prelude8626
I think it was 550.00

HELLUVA steal!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's dirt cheap. The action alone is worth north of $400.

Brian.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mine, short of a bit of trigger work it's box-stock. I bought it for next to nothing 17 years ago after someone stopped making payements on it at a shop in California. It was a bunch of fun when I lived in Midland and would shoot the silhouette range there. It has taken a few deer and a couple of hogs too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tony, is that a special order Remington custom shop model?

If so, it's priceless. That's the only factory 7 BR XP that I've ever seen with a barrel under 15 inches long.

Brian.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 280shooter
XP-100's are fun to shoot. Wish I still had mine! Depends on the price though. Lately some people seem to think they are made of gold.

If I had the guns you've sold, I'd be set up pretty well.

New bright shiny toys are not always what they seem to be....unfortunately I have several regrets. My downfall was a local dealer that always went to gunshows on every weekend he could and brought new stuff back. Had to sell or trade to buy frown Was young and stupid is all I can say for myself.

A good example was the S&W Model 41 5" I traded for a Ruger Super Blackhawk straight up so I could hunt with a handgun... crazy

I eventually learned but it seems a bit too slowly..

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good example was the S&W Model 41 5" I traded for a Ruger Super Blackhawk straight up so I could hunt with a handgun... crazy

Don't feel bad.

I've got a friend who traded a Colt Woodsman for a BB gun. I'm not joking.

Brian.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That was 30 years ago crazy back when extra funds were low to non-existant and I learned some hard/expensive lessons.....

Learned pretyy soon not oto lose money, but still had to sell or trade to get something different. The "new" wore off too soon..

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would think that a reddot sight would be perfect for one of these pistols. You every try that?

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, I haven't. I feel that the XP is best suited for long range work. If I need fast target acquistion, I'll tote a revolver instead of the XP.

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My original 7BR in an older H-S stock.

I jumped on the 7BR band wagon right away. Had to spend the $120 for the case forming die set to make them out of the 308UBR brass. 120's at 2500 is no slouch.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
I jumped on the 7BR band wagon right away. Had to spend the $120 for the case forming die set to make them out of the 308UBR brass.

You must have the patience of a saint.

First thing I did when I got my 7 BR was break the piggy bank and buy 300 pieces of Remington nickle plated brass for it.

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That wasn't an option at first. Part of the reason some got rechambered to 7-08.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
That wasn't an option at first. Part of the reason some got rechambered to 7-08.

I think that was the entire reason that most of them were rechambered to 7mm IHSMA and 7mm-08. It still blows my mind that it took years for Remington to start making brass for a cartridge they designed and marketed.

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of many bone headed moves that continue to this day.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (10ring1, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.