Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
my friend brought his drilling in for me to look at today. The maker is W. Weisgerber. St. Wendel Germany.
16x16x7.9x57. Nitro proof marks on shotgun barrels. St. M.G. denoting jacketed rifle bullets. Crown over U marks. Krupp Stahl. External hammers. Engraving. Dated 8 3 1 3 (8th march 1913 )? used but cared for. Any estimates on value. Any info on maker?
Everyone feel free to chime in.
Thanks Guys
Joe...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I HATE drillings...if they're not mine. wink

I took my last deer with a Triebel, Augsburg in 16-16-8X57JR...same as your friend's. It has a Hensoldt 4X 3 post in claw mounts.

JB's squeeze has a great Sauer 3000 circa 1960+or- in 6.5X57R and 16ga with a 22 mag einstecklauf that drops into the right shotgun barrel and is great for potting small game...sighted in at 65 yards to the scope. I hope Eileen lets him use it sometime. grin

At 7.9X57 it sounds like his is an 8X57JRS with a .323 bore, not the older traditional .318 like mine. That makes reloading MUCH easier. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
hey safari !
this is the first drilling i've ever been exposed to. ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING....
Does your have the shorter (65mm ?) chambers in the shot barrels?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
really do want one of these for hunting the east end of the Breaks.......run into grouse and huns along with "farm pond" ducks when looking for deer and the girls seem to think they need to carry their own guns and not pack around my shotgun for me crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
the girls seem to think they need to carry their own guns and not pack around my shotgun for me crazy

Funny how that works out (laughing!)

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds like a nifty drilling! I like the hammer guns as well as the hammerless....

It probably does have 65mm chambers, but the only way to tell is to measure them. Even then a lot of "short" chambers in older shotguns run longer than they're supposed to. I have a hammer Sauer/Daly 12x12x.30-30. One chamber is 67mm and the other 68mm.

I would also measure the rifle bore, as some are not what they're supposed to be. My wife has a "no name" O/U combo gun from between the wars that's marked 9.3x72R but has a .350 bore and .358 grooves.

What kind of engraving?

The name doesn't ring a bell but I will do a little searching.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
girls that want to carry their own guns
GOD BLESS AMERICA !!! (sniff-sniff)

J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
hey john !
action is fully covered. deer - stag on action. setters on sideplates. also on trigger guard, action lever, tang & fore end latch.
got a pic on cell phone. don't know how to post it.
do you think the 8 3 1 3 is the proof date ?
it's amazing how much gun they can cram into such a small package !!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a drilling, but a 12 guage over 5.6x52R that I tote around on a regular basis.

[Linked Image]

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinCombo guns!! grin USEFUL damn hunting irons! Do you find an Imperial Eagle on the water table??? THAT places it as a Kaiser Bill era gun for certain. Drillings,Capeguns, the best woods hunting guns around!! You could get a gunsmith to open up the shotgun chambers if you want to.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
sweet combo, bandit !!!
what's she weigh ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinI think I'll crank up my friend L2S grin
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
hey evil twin !
i'll check for the eagle. there were more more marks i couldn't see (didn't have my glasses)
doesn't say germany anywhere on it.
( only st. wendel ) i think that means pre- ww 2 & that it was not " made for export"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The jacketed bullet proof on mine is "K.M.G." My German sucks but I think it is "Kupher mettal geschoss"

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joetex
sweet combo, bandit !!!
what's she weigh ?

Thanks.

Weights around 8 pounds nekkid. With the gigantic factory scope mount and Weaver K2.5, it weights right around 9 pounds. A little too much to pack on really long hunts, but fine for lazy wandering in the field. I like to carry it in areas where there's lots of gray squirrels during deer season.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many of mine did in the past, but this particular one has 70mm chambers.

You can get away with using low power 2 3/4" shells in the 65mm chambers. I have a 1/2-way solution to them, however. I have a long taper forcing cone reamer I run into the short chambers to clean them up a little and cut the pressures, without removing a lot of meat where it is needed.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awww...you tease! grin

He knows I covet his cape gun. smirk

I have one, but two is 10X better. whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This a set...12X12 and 12X 8x57JR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bandit...

That is one very sweet combo! Let me know when you're ready to let me steal it. whistle

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Bandit...

That is one very sweet combo! Let me know when you're ready to let me steal it. whistle

wink

Don't hold your breath. wink

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you and EvilTwin brothers??? confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,238 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.