Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dusty and I had a blast over the weekend and finally sealed the deal yesterday morn.

Saturday we heard 4 birds, 2 way off only gobbled once or twice and two fairly close that gobbled several times on the limb. We set up on the closest birds, but they shut up when they hit the ground. We hunted hard all day and only saw two hens.

Sunday morn was pretty exciting as we were greeted with a gobble before daylight not too far from the truck. We set out for the tom and soon found that it was two as they covered each other up with gobbles on our way to set up. We slipped as close as I felt comfortable, found a tree, and hunkered down. The two toms hollered at some tree yelps, so I figured we might stand a chance. Then, I heard the hens frown Once again they went silent after fly down. I got them to hammer once in the distance with some cutting, but the ladies didn't want anyone messing with their men. I told Dusty we'd give em a few hours and come back to see if one was lonesome, so we pulled out and headed to another area to listen for a while.

We decided to set up on the edge of an old highline in an area that usually holds birds and call blind for a while. After about 15 minutes I heard a faint gobble in the distance. A few seconds later I let out some cutts and he answered back much closer. I hit him again and he hammered back about 100yds out. It wasn't long before we heard footsetps in the dry leaves and he popped out in the open puffed up. That's the first time I've heard a jake drum and Dusty's first time to hear a bird spit and drum. He did the dance to about 20yds and then started to get alittle nervous, so I told Dusty to let him have it. I knew it was a jake, but didn't tell Dusty any different and after seeing how excited he was during the show I decided to let him lay the hammer on him. Heck, I was pretty shook too, the ole pen was still shaking when I filled out the tag laugh That's what it's all about.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ya'll have a good one,

loder

GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Congratulations!!!! It is great that he got to see a good show as well. You know he is going to be hooked for life. I have to say I am quite jealous. We still have a while before we can get after them in MD. I can't wait to get my son on a bird!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations.

I think I was 20 before I started turkey hunting. A couple hours after buying my first slate call at Wal-Mart I had one within 30 yards, but he saw me move. The next day I had 4 come in, but they were on the wrong side for where I was pointing my gun. I thought this turkey hunting is going to be easy, I've already called 5 turkeys in, self taught 1 day experience.

Two years later I killed my first one. The first one was for the hunt, the rest are for revenge. smile

We've basically got a full month before the season starts here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cool, cant wait for my turn this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
loder,

That rocks - well done by Dusty!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice recount of the hunt, congrat's!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks fellas.

Our regular season opens Saturday, so the chase will be on again.

Good Luck to all of you this spring.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
That is awesome a memory you and your son will have forever!

J
jcc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
Congrats to the both of you.

jimmy c

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You get a big thumbs up on that one.
Congrats

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.